LAX to San Pedro: supershuttle?

emmak8

Thank you for the info. We'll be staying at the LAX Hilton and decided to take a taxi to the pier.
Ouch! That could be very expensive, depending on LA traffic. You can reserve a SuperShuttle just for yourselves for less than a taxi fare if you don't want to share a shuttle.

Hi Pam,

Does Super Shuttle go all the way to a hotel in the Universal Studios area and also from there to San Pedro (next day) ?

We are a party of 3 & can't figure out whether Super Shuttle or a taxi would be cheaper on a weekday.

Thanks in advance.

Ouch! That could be very expensive, depending on LA traffic. You can reserve a SuperShuttle just for yourselves for less than a taxi fare if you don't want to share a shuttle.

We stayed at the Hilton last March and then took a taxi to San Pedro. It was about $65.00 plus the hassle of traffic......and hope there are no accidents. :eek: So with that being said.....definitely take the super shuttle!!

This trip we are staying at the Crowne Plaza....would rather get there the day before and have no worries !! :p (which is exactly what we will be doing 2 weeks from today!! Can't wait! :D )

Hi Pam,

Does Super Shuttle go all the way to a hotel in the Universal Studios area and also from there to San Pedro (next day) ?

We are a party of 3 & can't figure out whether Super Shuttle or a taxi would be cheaper on a weekday.

Thanks in advance.

You'd have to check with SuperShuttle but they go pretty much everywhere. I've seen them where I live, picking up people for the airport, and I'm 60 miles south of LAX. The best thing to do would be to call SuperShuttle and get a definitive answer. Knowing the LA traffic, a shuttle is almost always less expensive than a taxi. There've been times when it took me half an hour to get from the entrance to LAX to the AA terminal. Most cities have rush hour traffic times and you can work around them; LA seems to have rush hour traffic almost 24/7. Accidents happen frequently and CalTrans seems to be oblivious to traffic patterns when scheduling road repairs. I visited friends in Glendale a few months ago. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get there. I left at 2:30pm, thinking I'd miss rush hour. I pulled into my garage at 7:30pm. That was unusual but points out the unpredictability. The delays were a combination of accidents and CalTrans (what were they thinking, pointing extremely bright lights at oncoming traffic, blinding drivers, rather than positioning them so the lights wouldn't affect drivers.)

Pam,

If we stay at the Hilton will the supershuttle pick us up there and take us to San Pedro? OR do we have to get the Hillton's free shuttle back to LAX and then take the supershuttle to the pier?

We will be going on a Saturday.

Call. I bet they'll pick you up at your hotel although I don't know for certain. I can't imagine they wouldn't although they may not take you directly to the ship but may pick up others at nearby hotels or even go back to LAX to pick up passengers. It's worth a call.

I think you made a good choice. When we went from LAX in October to San Pedro it took 2 hours if we would have been in a taxi we would have been paying by the minute to sit on the freeway. Not normally the case but as Pam stated you just don't know when it's going to happen.

Supershuttle has a fare quote system available on its web site:

www.supershuttle.com

The pier in San Pedro is an "airport", pick to/from, then scroll down, down, down, and you will see Harbors: Long Beach (generally only Carnival) and Los Angeles (usually every other line plus an occassional Carnival). Pick the one you need to go to. Put in the starting point and # of people, and it will give you a quote for shared van, private van (holds 9), execucar sedan (driver has sign--holds 4), execucar SUV (holds 5), and business sedan (you call for pick up--holds 4).

Or call 1-800-BlueVan

Its main rival, primetimeshuttle.com also can provide you a fare quote.

Individual choice as to what type of transportation to to take from LAX to San Pedro. For us, we never bother with shuttles or taxis, we always book at least a town car with no stops, and the driver does a meet and greet at baggage claim, and handles our baggage for us. If I am going to spend several thousand dollars on a cruise, I want to enjoy all parts of it, and that includes my transportation.:):)

Hello Emmak8,

Pardon me for asking but are you staying at the Hilton near Universal Studios or LA downtown ? I did not book a hotel yet but was thinking of staying at a hotel near Universal Studios precruise & then getting a ride to San Pedro the following morning. Thanks.

Hi Pam,

Thanks you !

Hello Emmak8,

Pardon me for asking but are you staying at the Hilton near Universal Studios or LA downtown ? I did not book a hotel yet but was thinking of staying at a hotel near Universal Studios precruise & then getting a ride to San Pedro the following morning. Thanks.

Hi Pam,

Thanks you !

The OP was referring to the Hilton that's close to LAX airport. The airport isn't anywhere near downtown LA. In fact, not too many people would stay at a downtown LA hotel pre-cruise as it's a distance from the port. Usually the only people who would book a downtown LA hotel do so because they are doing business downtown (at the convention center or a business in the area) and aren't interested in sightseeing (and hopefully don't plan to walk around the area at night) or because they don't understand that paying low hotel fares in LA County can leave you staying at a dumpy hotel and/or a seedy area.

I wouldn't even advise staying at a hotel in the LAX area unless you have an early flight the next morning. Not the best area, either.

At least Universal City is more upscale (Universal Studios is up on the hill there too as well as City Walk, a restaurant/entertainment/store outside tourist area) even though the Hilton there is pretty expensive (the only two times I was there was just for high school class reunions, so I can't speak for the accommodations).

Glad you found out in advance. The fare from the hotel sounds good. We stayed there a few years ago. It's not new, and a bit dark in the lobby area, and the restaurants are expensive (typical for hotel restaurants), but the beds were super comfortable and I don't recall hearing any airplane noise at all. Not that it'd be much cheaper for dinner, but we enjoyed the Encounter Restaurant in the spider-shaped building in the middle of LAX http://www.encounterlax.com/ Fabulous place for watching planes, day or night. We did eat one dinner in the Hilton and it was good. If you want to save money, I think there's a Carl's Jr. (chain fast food restaurant) almost next door to the Hilton.

For the person going to Universal Studios: I assume you know it's mainly a theme park, and that more comprehensive studiotours are probably found at Warner Brothers (Burbank), Sony (Culver City) and Paramount Studios (Hollywood).

• 2 months later...

Is Super Shuttle a good option for young children that require car seats in Vans and cars?

I know the Disney Shuttle ($30/adult and kids free) does not require cars seats because they're a big bus service. But I find them a tad pricey as we're travel with 5 other adults.

Is Super Shuttle a good option for young children that require car seats in Vans and cars?

I know the Disney Shuttle ($30/adult and kids free) does not require cars seats because they're a big bus service. But I find them a tad pricey as we're travel with 5 other adults.

you would need to bring your own car seats with you for supershuttle or primetime

Arrived at the Super Shuttle pick up point at LAX at about 6:00 P.M. got into the van and toured LAX for a while. Finally got to San Pedro hotel, (normally a 30 minute trip), 1 hour and 45 minutes later. Draw your own conclusions!!! If there is another trip to L.A. the first thing I'll look at is if Long Beach is a viable alternative airport. The next thing is another shuttle service that gets us to our destination without going around the airport two or three times "trolling" for customers.

It is to bad that Super Shuttle did not meet your expectations, however they and Prime Time do exactly the same thing. It is well known that they will do several circuits of LAX trolling for passengers, as it is a shared form of transportation and with a rate of about $17 pp it is important that they leave full. If you want to go direct then perhaps you should try a taxi or limo but you won't do that for anything near $17 pp.

I am not here to defend Super Shuttle but we have used them on a number of occasions and found them to be excellent value and frankly have no trouble recommending them.

Individual choice as to what type of transportation to to take from LAX to San Pedro. For us, we never bother with shuttles or taxis, we always book at least a town car with no stops, and the driver does a meet and greet at baggage claim, and handles our baggage for us. If I am going to spend several thousand dollars on a cruise, I want to enjoy all parts of it, and that includes my transportation.:):)

I like the way you think...any recommendations? We'll be coming in on the "day of", hopefully landing just before noon. We'd like the driver to be waiting with a sign with our name on it ready to roll to San Pedro a.s.a.p. Thanks in advance for your help.

Archived