Hawaii Shore Excursions on our own!

jdblakeslee

Hi, all,

We have booked the POA for the May 19-26 sailing and I've started working on shore excursions for these ports not booked through the ship.

On our Greece and Alaska cruises, this worked so well for us, not so much to save money, but for the experiences and authenticity of the area. I've read some reviews that include guidance regarding tour guides in port but I wondered if there were posters lurking around that could give me some direction. We want to do a helicopter tour but don't know which island or which company, perhaps a whale-watching tour, and are open to any great experiences that others have enjoyed!

Can you help?

Warm regards from the sunny MS Gulf Coast!

Jennifer

IMO the best helicopter tours are on Kauai. We used Blue Hawaiian and it was AMAZING. I would also get your rental car for Maui and Kauai booked. Overnight parking at both piers is easy. The best, most current advice about which tour companies are doing the best job can always be found on TripAdvisor.

Happy planning!!!!

IMO the best helicopter tours are on Kauai.

On Kauai, if you like walking in gardens, I recommend a tour of Allerton Garden. Driving up the Waimea Canyon is also lovely, but you need to do it in the early to middle part of the day, as the shadows get pretty deep and long by three or four o'clock. It is tempting to try to do both these trips in a single day, but it doesn't work out very well to do so.

Aloha.

Been to Hawaii many a time, think this is a place where a car and one of the many free maps and a bit of reasearch before hand is the way to go. Everyone's interest is different, beaches, turn outs, food etc. are so personal and there is so much to discover and beauty in just the random drives and stops, DIY!

As to best Helictoper is debatable between to places

Kauai for the unique and spectacular scenery that you can only see from air and Hawaii for the volanoes also very unique. I'd not bother on any other island as beautiful as they are, just a car and map :D

I would drive Kauai and helo on the big Island. You can day trip to Wiamea Canyon on Kauai (start early and stop at roadside places on the way back, like Kauai Coffee, the blowhole near Poiipu, etc.) in a car. The problem with doing this on the Big Island is the distances. If you want to see lava fields and possibly active volcanos at volcano national park it's a long drive and one you might not be able to make. You can always drive up and down the west coast visiting coffee plantations, seaside parks, etc., but to see some of the most spectacular scenery would be a long drive.

Here are some of the things you can see from a car trip on Kauai (no helo needed)

Near Poiipu

IMG_0588-vi.jpg

IMG_0723-vi.jpg

Wiamea Canyon drive

IMG_0659-vi.jpg

IMG_0669-vi.jpg

North Coast

IMG_1114-vi.jpg?1325711994

Wiamea River (near airport)

IMG_0808-vi.jpg?1325712059

Having posted that, I'm not a fan of helo trips since my wife took a trip and a week later the pilot died in a crash. There is so much beauty there alongside the roads that I never felt a need to do that. However, since travel to Volcano National Park will be a 6 hour round trip in a car (including sight seeing), if you were looking to helo somewhere that would be my choice. Also, if there are any active flows you will be able to see them from a vantage point only accessible by helicopter.

Hi, all,

We have booked the POA for the May 19-26 sailing and I've started working on shore excursions for these ports not booked through the ship.

On our Greece and Alaska cruises, this worked so well for us, not so much to save money, but for the experiences and authenticity of the area. I've read some reviews that include guidance regarding tour guides in port but I wondered if there were posters lurking around that could give me some direction. We want to do a helicopter tour but don't know which island or which company, perhaps a whale-watching tour, and are open to any great experiences that others have enjoyed!

Can you help?

Warm regards from the sunny MS Gulf Coast!

Jennifer

You are too late for any whale watching. A helicopter tour out of Hilo or Kauai is recommended, with Hilo being your opportunity to see lava. Kauai is endless scenery. :)

Independent touring with a rental car, is very simple and offers you plenty on your own schedule. You don't need "guides" for many areas. I suggest you head to your library and take out some Hawaii travel books and read up on each of the different areas you will be visiting. Then even if you continue with tours, it will offer you more direction in the selection.

Thanks to all who have been so kind in posting. I'll do my "due diligence", certainly, but just wondered if some of the "must do" adventures were already filling up. Budgetqueen, you helped us so much in planning our Alaska shore excursions, I'm glad to see you on the Hawaii board, too!

Regards,

Jennifer

Does anyone know how close the car rental offices to the ports in Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Kawai?? We are pretty committed to doing stuff on our own but like to be efficient. We are going to be October travelers...any insight on weather to expect?

Archived