Any Camera Suggestions?

Lessum

I am in the market for a new point and shoot camera. I am a mom of 2 young children. DH and I are going on our 2nd cruise in April (first without kids). We have owned 4 canon's (all similar models- just upgraded versions). They are all the model that takes AA batteries. The first one unfortunately ended up in the water in Maui...the second was broken in an accident (both after 2 + years of use each) The third my DH wanted to take to Afghanistan so I got a new one in November 2009. This is the Canon PowerShot A1100IS. We still have both of these cameras and they both work. The one he took to Afghanistan has always for some reason seemed to take better pics. Not sure if the A1100 I got was a lemon or what...my mom got the same camera at the same time I got this one and hers takes great pics. My pics always seem to be yellow. Also mine seems to eat batteries. I have tried getting better batteries...but no luck. Anyway...Last June the lens cover piece on mine disappeared....so I have decieded it's time to get something new. One feature I doubt I will have much luck getting again is the optical viewfinder which I do use occassionally (unless I get the same model). I am not sure I want the same kind...feel like maybe it's time for a change. I have always been hesitant to change to the LiOn Battery as I hear they drain pretty quick especially if you take video. So far I have looked at the following cameras:

Canon Powershot Elph 300 and 310

Canon SX130

Sony WX9

Any thoughts on these?

Any suggestions for others?

Thanks!

What is the top end of your budget? There have been several folks on the boards that have picked up the Sony HX9V and have been thrilled with the features and the quality of the images. I own an HX5V and the 9V would be my choice to replace it.

Dave

I'd suggest instead of buying a new P&S, possibly look to upgrade to a starter DSLR. You will automatically get better results than most P&S. Plus with young kids, it will allow you to get better pics of them, as the cameras are usually faster.

I'd suggest instead of buying a new P&S, possibly look to upgrade to a starter DSLR. You will automatically get better results than most P&S. Plus with young kids, it will allow you to get better pics of them, as the cameras are usually faster.

I do not believe these claims! Automatically????

I am in the market for a new point and shoot camera.

You might Google the Panasonic FZ150.

I have used the Panasonic lines for many years (and sometimes would switch over to Canon).

The FZ150 is a bit pricey - close to $400 but the pictures have always been sharp. It also shoot in RAW as well as JPEG. It has high definition movie-capability as well. The lens is as wide as 25mm and extends out to about 600mm. So it is a camera that you can use, not only in wide angle but also extreme telephoto. What was important to me is that it is a wee bit over 1 pound and so carrying around while traveling doesn't become a burden.

The only drawback with Panasonic is its use of proprietory batteries and so you should always have a spare if you shoot over 300-400 shots a day. Recharging is simple and fast but you should carry the recharger (light weight) with you.

Arguably, it is probably the best all around P&S you can get.

Yes, if you know how to use the camera you will get better with the larger sensor and RAW, but lots of people just want to point and shoot. My husband is a pro, but I have no desire to learn how to use a camera, he takes the really good one, I just point and shoot. :D Works for us. But for anyone ,including the OP, who wants to put the time and effort into learning how to take great photos, your suggestion was right on the mark! :)

I have no interest in a DSLR....too big and too much to carry around! I want to throw it in my purse or diaper bag! I am already lugging around a purse and/or diaper bag...jam packed full of crap...I don't want to carry a camera bag too! And I don't want to be so busy fiddling with settings that I miss every shot...I want to turn it on and push the button...

My budget is around $200...Maybe I could extend to $250 if it was spectacular.

Thanks

IMHO the biggest limitation you are putting on yourself is your battery choise. the Lion batteries do not drain any faster then AA. Most of the newer good cameras do not use AA. We have never had an Lion battery drain out on us with a full day use on a cruise or anywhere else. There are many many choises, even with AA batteries. What I recommend to everyone, is to go into a store and hold them, feel how they fit into your hand and if it is comfortable for you. Everyones hands are different so find one that fits you. Search around and you will find a good one. Panasonic has several good P&S, My husband uses Canon for his pro stuff, and they are good P&S too, but he likes the Panasonic Lumix for his own pocket P&S.

You might Google the Panasonic FZ150.

I have used the Panasonic lines for many years (and sometimes would switch over to Canon).

The FZ150 is a bit pricey - close to $400 but the pictures have always been sharp.

I have the FZ40 which was $300 a year ago and it only takes 720p videos. I like it a lot, but I would go for the F150 today!

Thanks. We have no camera stores where I live- would have to drive 1.5 hours to get to one. When you got to stores like Walmart and Target 90% of the cameras don't even turn on and the staff don't care so it is frustrating. I have done TONS of research online...but still not sure.

I am looking to capture memories- not necessarily professional quality photos.

My suggestion is to make sure the camera has a viewfinder. Using the LCD sucks batteries dry.

I never use the LCD for taking pictures.

One trouble is that few cameras - even high end ones - have an optical viewfinder [Canon G12, Nikon 7100, Fuji X10] only three or four models total.

What I find amusing are the folks using DSLR cameras in a fashion similar to a viewfinderless point and shoot - holding the heavy camera at arms length trying to frame a picture.

That being said, I use the eye level electronic viewfinder on my FZ-50 without too much problem in battery life. My understanding is that more recent electronic viewfinders [Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Fuji] are much nicer [more dots, faster refresh]

While I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts...I do feel this thread has gone a bit "off topic"....I really am looking for SIMPLE compact point and shoot that takes GOOD quality photos that does not stretch my $200 budget.

Thanks

While I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts...I do feel this thread has gone a bit "off topic"....I really am looking for SIMPLE compact point and shoot that takes GOOD quality photos that does not stretch my $200 budget.

Thanks

Since you have no available photo retailers and a limited budget, I would suggest Amazon or Overstock online for shopping.

I bought my wife a Fuji F505 for christmas [$169] and it seems to be a decent 'travel zoom' camera. [Nice lens and sensor, the electronics have support for difficult exposure modes like night shots, retracting lens with built in lens cap]

The similar F300EXR [not quite as long a zoom, but a faster lens] is up on Amazon for $179 - I would rate that as a good buy.

Thanks

http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCTS10SB.html

Here is a link to a great camera kit, even has a spare battery. This a web site that we use a lot and we trust completly. If you call them, they can give you further advice.

I am sorry if we have gotten off topic, but your question is somewhat hard to answer. Ask the same person what is a great P&S and you will get four different answers. There is no one right camera and there are hundreds and hundreds of choises. :D

The biggest thing to get great fun family photos, learn a few basic things about how the camera works, when to change the settings etc.

Have fun on your trip!!!:)

I did an online chat with someone at B&H Photo today and he recommended the Canon SX130 which is one of the cameras I was already considering....Best Buy here does have that one so I may head back over there and play with it some more...

If anyone has it and can offer anything let me know...

Did an online chat today with B&H Photo and they suggested the Canon SX230 HS. They suggested Canon over Sony very quickly.

This is one I was already looking at and our Best Buy does carry it so I may go up and play with it some more.

If anyone has this camera...share your thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...

I have to recommend the fuji z700exr. Has MANY fun features, uses a rechargable battery, is compact, takes wonderful shots. I had this camera on my cruise last year and LOVED it. It got stolen this last summer only 6 months after I got it and as we are getting ready to re purchase this camera...although now I'm looking at the z800exr which is for some reason actually cheaper on amazon then the z700...who ever understands why amazon does this, lol. The z700 runs between $180-289 depending all on the color you pick. The z800 runs between $120-180 depending on color.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Z700EXR-3-5-Inch-Touch-Screen-Black/dp/B0035WTVVE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326600867&sr=8-7

Did an online chat today with B&H Photo and they suggested the Canon SX230 HS. They suggested Canon over Sony very quickly.

This is one I was already looking at and our Best Buy does carry it so I may go up and play with it some more.

If anyone has this camera...share your thoughts...

I got the sx230 for Xmas! Wonderful camera. I was initially torn between the Sony hx9v and the canon and after some online research I opted for the canon. I am still learning the features, there are so many, but even just the auto mode takes great shots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I got it last week...ordered it from Cameta Camera in NY - got a bundle deal with all kinds of stuff. Called them and ordered it instead of doing it on line and they added stuff to the bundle for me for free and upgraded the SD card from a class 4 to a class 10 for no cost! I haven't played with it much, but seems good so far!

Archived