Travel journal for older kids and teens?

World Gallery

I started looking online for travel journals for my kids and there were too many options. We are going a Med. cruise and thought it would be nice to have the kids journal everyday because I am sure everything will start running together (this is there first time to Europe) and they will not remember where they did what.

Any good ones out there? I am looking for something simple with maybe a starter question or idea to write about, not just blank pages.

Thanks.

My kids have kept journals when traveling since they were old enough to print words, however, we have always used blank, lined, spiral-bound books. The advantage of using a journal that hasn't been pre-printed is that you can write as many pages as you want about a particular experience or day (my 8 year old likes to write about EVERYTHING and may use 8 or 10 pages in one day). We also carry a roll of tape and tape in ticket stubs, post cards or any other paper mementos that are collected in the course of a day. Perhaps if you can't find the type of book that you are looking for then you could have a list of prompts ready to get them thinking at the end of the day??

Lisa

Another vote for a blank journal. My son [19] surprised me when he said he is going to keep a [paper] journal this spring when he tours Europe with my Daughter. I knew my daughter would 'write', lol, but I expected my son would sooner document his travels on his laptop. Cheers to keeping and writing in a journal! :)[/font]

A journal is a great idea, if you have a child who will actually write in one! We just went to Marshalls and found a pretty, spriral bound journal. It just had blank pages. My DD kept notes during our trip to Italy last year, and it's amazing how much more attention she paid to things. It's pretty cute to read it. She also glued in things such as admission tickets, etc.

She used her notes for a school project this year, so it was helpful, too. Make sure you get those journals after the trip and save them.

My kids are 5 and 6 and they are both going to do one for this upcoming trip. They both picked blank ones and will have lots of room to write, draw and glue on little reminders as well as photos when we get home to print. I think it will be really fun!

I started looking online for travel journals for my kids and there were too many options. We are going a Med. cruise and thought it would be nice to have the kids journal everyday because I am sure everything will start running together (this is there first time to Europe) and they will not remember where they did what.

Any good ones out there? I am looking for something simple with maybe a starter question or idea to write about, not just blank pages.

Thanks.

Just saw this travel journal on Pinterest with a link to the Amazon page. Hopefully I've copied the link properly. :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735315051/ref=as_li_ss_tl/?ie=UTF8&tag=travel0834&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0735315051

Lisa

Thanks for the ideas! I never though of bringing a roll of tape to tape in things as we go along. I think I will do that with the blank journals and order that one on Amazon for my youngest daughter, who I think would like it.

I did find some "journal travel prompts" somewhere that I need to find. Anyone have some good/favorite ones?

Thanks for the ideas! I never though of bringing a roll of tape to tape in things as we go along. I think I will do that with the blank journals and order that one on Amazon for my youngest daughter, who I think would like it.

I did find some "journal travel prompts" somewhere that I need to find. Anyone have some good/favorite ones?

I think travel journals are a great idea - kids today don't get the opportunity to write very often. A great way to re-live the trip later on. I take little notebooks with me when we travel and while a lot of the stuff in mine has to do with money and budgeting I include notes about:

The weather.

What we had for meals - and where.

People we met. Especially if I have pictures of them.

A list of where I took photos. After a few days everything seems to start running together in my brain.

Of course, where we went and what we did during the day and my impressions.

Archived