Next scheduled dry dock for Eurodam

sugarcharlie

Many posts have mentioned that certain things can only be repaired when the ship is dry-docked. I assume the diesel generators are always running to provide power to the ships systems and propulsion motors, so the only time they can be turned off for maintenance or repair is in dry dock.

How can we find out when the next scheduled dry dock for the ship is? I'm hoping the "vibration issue" which has been numerously reported in some posts, can be corrected before my March sailing. Unfortunately the current schedule of the ship shows that it will be cruising constantly until it crosses the Atlantic again.

Any chance the ship can have an "unscheduled dry-docking" for this repair?

The "Destination Schedule" shows no dry docks through June 2013 at least. IIRC the last one was just last April. They would take the ship out of service for an unscheduled dry dock only if it was absolutely necessary.

The Eurodam has 6 diesel engines, and it may be possible to take one down for repairs while still maintaining the schedule. IF the reported vibration is in fact due to an engine problem.

I wonder on these vibration reports, is this happening during docking? All ships vibrate some during that. If it is a noticable vibration while underway, that is probably not a diesel problem but something wrong with the Azipod. That can't be fixed outside of drydock.

Brian- Love the post!

Seriously, forget about the vibration issue! We noticed absolutely no vibration on the Eurodam last month. Unless people are talking about when you are docking, I honestly have no idea what they are talking about.

There is nothing wrong with the Eurodam! Just go and enjoy the cruise, it is far from needing a dry dock.

Do not count on an unscheduled dry dock for the Eurodam for "vibration".

It has to be something serious.

I can remember the Prinsendam suddenly going into dry dock in either 2007 or 2008 -- we were scheduled to go on her in November and our cruise was cancelled.

Another one I can remember was the Oosterdam a couple of years -- something about a propeller -- not sure.

Others will remember.

Another one I can remember was the Oosterdam a couple of years -- something about a propeller -- not sure.

That was the occassion when, during a regularly scheduled drydock and maintenance within one of the azipods, one of the workers left a wrench behind...

...when the pod was fired up, the magnetic forces pulled the wrench into the works - and you can guess the rest.

After MAJOR vibration issues while underway, much playing with propellers, cancelled ports due to the limited speed from the remaining pod, etc. for a few months while the line awaited new internals from Europe the ship was pulled into drydock in San Diego to do the fix - and they found a melted metallic mess adhered to the electric motor...

The Big O been right ever since.

That was the occassion when, during a regularly scheduled drydock and maintenance within one of the azipods, one of the workers left a wrench behind...

...when the pod was fired up, the magnetic forces pulled the wrench into the works - and you can guess the rest.

After MAJOR vibration issues while underway, much playing with propellers, cancelled ports due to the limited speed from the remaining pod, etc. for a few months while the line awaited new internals from Europe the ship was pulled into drydock in San Diego to do the fix - and they found a melted metallic mess adhered to the electric motor...

I couldn't remember exactly what happened -- I can safely use the excuse -- Old Age. :D

That is a career limiting move :confused:.

Brian- Love the post!

Seriously, forget about the vibration issue! We noticed absolutely no vibration on the Eurodam last month. Unless people are talking about when you are docking, I honestly have no idea what they are talking about.

There is nothing wrong with the Eurodam! Just go and enjoy the cruise, it is far from needing a dry dock.

Good idea.

Brian- Love the post!

Did the "Master of the Vessel" tell you this himself? :confused:

Archived