Books?

Hibiscus118

Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to plan for an Alaska cruise in June/July 2013. This will be our "last hurrah" by ourselves before we start a family so we want to do it right. I'm really anxious for more itineraries to come out, so we can book something and can really look into ports and excursions more.

Anyways, I'm going on a relaxing caribbean cruise next week and would like to start reading more about Alaska while I have tons of time. Any good book recommendations? There are so many options and I wasn't sure how the books catered to cruising are? I love the Hawaii Revealed series, I wish they had one on AK also.

Also, we are thinking a northbound/southbound cruise instread of roundtrip, any pro's and cons for those? Thanks!

The books that have been recommended to me were the Frommers Guide to Alaska and the Frommers "Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call".

The first book deals more with inland, but has been really helpful regarding what there is to see and do in each city. Since we are doing a week before our cruise (also in June/July 2013) it has been invaluable in helping me narrow down the many choices of things to do during that week. It has also helped me figure out what excursions we might want to do on the cruise itself just based on the things to do/see in each port city.

The second book as you can guess is geared more towards cruising.

We have decided on a southbound cruise because we want to do a week inland before the cruise and then use the cruise to relax a little after a hectic week of touring. (OK so maybe we'll only have a couple days to relax before the first port of call and all the touring starts again!:)). Altogether, our vacation should be at least 14 days - maybe 16 depending on flight schedules.

Good luck with your research. It can be overwhelming so take it somewhat slow. Some of the cruiselines don't open their 2013 Alaska schedules until Feb/March so you have a little time to look at ships/ports of call/times in port etc. You will learn that BudgetQueen and Frugaltravel are at least 2 founts of information on all things Alaska! First thing that BudgetQueen told me was to decide what we really wanted to see/do, look at port stops and times in port, then choose the ship.

The books that have been recommended to me were the Frommers Guide to Alaska and the Frommers "Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call".

The first book deals more with inland, but has been really helpful regarding what there is to see and do in each city. Since we are doing a week before our cruise (also in June/July 2013) it has been invaluable in helping me narrow down the many choices of things to do during that week. It has also helped me figure out what excursions we might want to do on the cruise itself just based on the things to do/see in each port city.

I'm going to look into both. We really would like to do a week beforehand in Alaska before the cruise as well, so both books seem like they'd be helpful.

The second book as you can guess is geared more towards cruising.

We have decided on a southbound cruise because we want to do a week inland before the cruise and then use the cruise to relax a little after a hectic week of touring. (OK so maybe we'll only have a couple days to relax before the first port of call and all the touring starts again!:)). Altogether, our vacation should be at least 14 days - maybe 16 depending on flight schedules.

This is what I want to do as well, we'll have to see where the budget stands when it comes time to book though. We also want to spend some time in Vancouver/Seattle. There are just so many things to do and see.

Good luck with your research. It can be overwhelming so take it somewhat slow. Some of the cruiselines don't open their 2013 Alaska schedules until Feb/March so you have a little time to look at ships/ports of call/times in port etc. You will learn that BudgetQueen and Frugaltravel are at least 2 founts of information on all things Alaska! First thing that BudgetQueen told me was to decide what we really wanted to see/do, look at port stops and times in port, then choose the ship.

Thanks so much! We will definitely be booking a cruise based on itinerary and not the ship. I always do that and have never been on a "bad cruise." Sure, I like some cruise lines over others but with as big of a trip as this one, I want to do it based on itinerary.

The other "shock" with an Alaskan cruise is the price of just about everything! It is expensive - thus one of the reasons we aren't going until 2013 (more time to pay everything off!). However, it looks like Alaska is easier to do things independent of the ship excursions and there are 2 coupon books that may also come in handy. One is the Toursaver book and the other is the Northern Lights book. Toursaver costs about $100 and Northern Lights is about $50, but they have a lot of 2-for-1 coupons that could more than make up that cost. Once you kind of narrow down what you think you might like to do, take a look at the coupon books online and see if they have coupons. I'm not super sure of the websites, but they have been listed on CC so maybe you can find them with a search?

Yes I found them, thank you so much!

We did Hawaii completely independant. Took one tour that was awesome but we booked outside the cruise ship. I hope that we can do some of Alaska that way also. Not just to cut costs, but also because we like to do things on our own time and not be tied down to a bunch of other people.

I also recommend Fodor's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call.

IF you are considering a one way cruise, then I highly suggest you add- ideally another week. Take advantage of being there with some fantastic interior Alaska touring.

I save a considerable sum of money by booking cheap inside cabins, and staying in budget lodging. I use economy rental cars, as you do not need any 4wd or SUV's unless you like them. :)

I never skimp on my touring, and do exactly what I please. I plan my touring time, well, and NEVER have to "relax" anywhere on the journey, (nor would I have any days to do so) I have all my days with some touring of interest. I do see, repeatively people short on time. Last two years I was in Alaska for 4 weeks. I don't see those numbers with anyone else, so my suggestion at good planning I feel is of great benefit to some.

I just received "The Alaska Cruise Handbook, A Mile by Mile Guide" by Joe Upton which is great especially if you are heading Northbound from either Vancouver or Seattle...

I was not able to find it in a bookstore so I ordered it on Amazon

I just received "The Alaska Cruise Handbook, A Mile by Mile Guide" by Joe Upton which is great especially if you are heading Northbound from either Vancouver or Seattle...

PS. If you are cruising on Princess like we are (I see you have in the past), this book tends to be geared toward the cruiseline...

Do you find you still see a good ammount booking inside cabins in Alaska? We always book inside, except our Hawaii cruise. For AK we were thinking another balcony though because we want to see as much as possible.

I won't be any help on this - we always book a balcony! I blame our first TA who booked us in a balcony for our very first cruise and I've been spoiled since!

From what I've read though, a balcony may not be the "be all end all" in Alaska - although it is nice. There are many places to see things from the ship plus not having a balcony gives the added benefit of seeing both sides of the ship more easily (run from one side to the other depending on which deck you are on). Whereas with a balcony you are limited to that side of the ship. That part doesn't matter too much to me as I still like to have a pre-dinner cocktail on my balcony as well as breakfast every morning. Plus my husband can't get a picture of me looking longingly out to sea as we leave our last port of call for home (as has become a tradition of sorts :)) if we are in a stateroom without a balcony (or at least it's a little more difficult).

Do you find you still see a good ammount booking inside cabins in Alaska? We always book inside, except our Hawaii cruise. For AK we were thinking another balcony though because we want to see as much as possible.

I spend a great deal of time out on deck. My preference as I want an expansive forward view, for my priority. I've had a few comp upgrades to outsides,and never used them. I never feel "cheated" for going cheap inside.

+1. This book is the one I found most interesting and helpful.

I was wondering the same thing, but decided that being on the decks would be better - what if the _____ is on the other side of the ship...

Also with the savings, we are going to take a nice excursion. And it will still be daylight when we are ready to sleep - the black on an inside will help there as well.

PS. If you are cruising on Princess like we are (I see you have in the past), this book tends to be geared toward the cruiseline...

This is on my "to buy" list, but we are on HAL - based on what you are saying is it Princess centric? Would it work for other lines?

This is on my "to buy" list, but we are on HAL - based on what you are saying is it Princess centric? Would it work for other lines?

Princess does "more" in their routing detail and note more often where they are.

Most of the cruiselines, aren't too detailed. They will give some references with the noon reports, and about it.

I know many areas just by sight, which can be difficult for many, since it can be small details which give the area. A lot of water and shore line looks alike. :)

Key if this detail is of interest is to hopefully have a seasoned naturalist and hook up with them.

I've also requested specific areas information from the bridge. I have always been called back with my request, but again, the average cruise passenger wouldn't know.

So, this book is certainly very informative, but there aren't going to be any "mile markers" like on a highway, that would make it really detailed. And people aren't going to find it easy to "follow along". If that's not an issue, the book could be worthwhile for the basic information. Be aware, that there are numerous routings that can be taken.

The guides would be useful reading of course, but I always like to do some reading that gives me a historical point of reference when I travel. It helps me appreciate even more what I am seeing when I get there.

For my July trip to Alaska I will be rereading James S. Michener's Alaska and Jack London's White Fang.

The guides would be useful reading of course, but I always like to do some reading that gives me a historical point of reference when I travel. It helps me appreciate even more what I am seeing when I get there.

For my July trip to Alaska I will be rereading James S. Michener's Alaska and Jack London's White Fang.

Me too! I have the Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum ready to read. There are many other Gold Rush books available. I also like to check out what museums and archives have to offer --we even discovered my great aunts husband participated in the gold rush!

http://www.eed.state.ak.us/temp_lam_pages/library/goldrush/index.htm

Sue Henry's mystery series are a fun read and includes historical references.

I like the Eyewitness travel books--very visual.

I'm reading through the Sue Henry mystery series also. There is a lot of history, geography, weather, tourism information in each of them. My favorite so far is Death Takes a Passage, about a cruise aboard a small ship celebrating the anniversary of the Gold Rush.

Sue Henry has two main characters in her books -- Jessie, a young woman Iditarod musher, and Maxie (along with her dog Stretch), an older woman who lives in Homer but travels throughout the Lower 48 in her Winnebago during the Alaska winters.

Another I loved is Heather Lende's If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name, about her life in tiny Haines, Alaska.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I've been researching things for the last few hours and I'm still so overwhelmed with everything from cruiselines, land options (cruise tour vs on our own), and overall logistics. I haven't even gotten into looking at actual tours yet. I can't wait to start reading more in the book recommendations.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I've been researching things for the last few hours and I'm still so overwhelmed with everything from cruiselines, land options (cruise tour vs on our own), and overall logistics. I haven't even gotten into looking at actual tours yet. I can't wait to start reading more in the book recommendations.

One thing I did that helped lessen the "overload" feeling a little bit was to put everything into an Excel spreadsheet and then "map" things out on a calendar (you can google a 2013 calendar and then just print the month(s) you want - or if you have a printer like mine, it's programmed into the printer!). It really helped me to visualize everything - when each cruiseship leaves, times in port, when we would have to fly in, times in Denali, etc. Then I was able to break the logjam in my brain and really see what would be best for us.

Archived