Permission form from other parent/single parent

JinxyB

I keep reading these topics about getting a permission form notarized from the other parent if cruising without them...do I need a form if I am a single parent? I am cruising with just my son and don't want to run into any problems. My son and I have the same last name and I was never married to my son's father. There is no custody order or anything like that. I did apply for his passport so I will have that. I will call the cruiseline, but just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this, thanks!

I keep reading these topics about getting a permission form notarized from the other parent if cruising without them...do I need a form if I am a single parent? I am cruising with just my son and don't want to run into any problems. My son and I have the same last name and I was never married to my son's father. There is no custody order or anything like that. I did apply for his passport so I will have that. I will call the cruiseline, but just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this, thanks!

Is dad's name on the BC? If not, no problem, just bring the certified copy of the BC with the passport to prove you are the sole parent.

Can't advise further without the above information, but will tell you to NEVER rely on what the cruise line tells you. They are not immigration experts.

Yes, his name was put on my son's BC after paternity was established/child support enforced. I have cruised twice with my son, but we were with his father, so no problems there. We are not together anymore, which is why I am thinking about this now!

When I got my son's passport, I had to prove that I was the sole custodial parent. It had to be sent into the passport agency and when I sent a copy without an "original" stamp, the application was sent back and I sent the original paperwork.

My son has a different last name then I, so I was also concerned about cruising. We've cruised multiple times in the last 4 years. I do carry a copy of the custody papers that say I have sole legal custody, but since I have the passport, I have never been asked for those. Technically a single parent is not allowed to get a passport for a minor unless they prove sole custody, which I did or the parent signs off on the passport application.

Again, maybe your should try to reach an immigration department to clarify. I figure I have all the documentation needed and always carry everything, JUST IN CASE

Yeah, well I have a feeling he will refuse to sign/notarize any such permission form. I wonder what single mothers do who either have no father on the BC for whatever reason? To avoid dealing with this issue for the next 17 years, I guess I will have to get a legal custody/visitation order and will have to stipulate I do not need permission from him to travel? I'm going to call the Dept of State tomorrow to hopefully get some clarification.

Yeah, well I have a feeling he will refuse to sign/notarize any such permission form. I wonder what single mothers do who either have no father on the BC for whatever reason? To avoid dealing with this issue for the next 17 years, I guess I will have to get a legal custody/visitation order and will have to stipulate I do not need permission from him to travel? I'm going to call the Dept of State tomorrow to hopefully get some clarification.

If there is no father's name on the BC, you just bring the certified copy of the birth certificate that shows this.

How did you obtain a passport w/o dad's permission?

My son's BC was amended once paternity/child support was established, so his father's name is on it. We applied for my son's passport when we were still together, so he signed the passport forms. You can also sign an affidavit saying the other parent is an absent parent to obtain a passport. Things are not so good now between me and my son's father, so I have a feeling he will give me a hard time. :(

I know it won't be easy (most likely) to get the full legal custody papers, but in the long run I would think it would be a relief to have it taken care of now and not have hassles for years and years.

If you have sole legal custody (I don't know the correct wording, but a lawyer can help you) then I don't think you'd need a stipulation about permission to travel, but, again, don't take my advice, get legal advice.

I know some parents have gone to court, or maybe just to a judge or lawyer to get permission to travel when the other parent will not sign.

Good luck. This is a tough situation to deal with.

I don't know what the requirements are if the cruise is only traveling within the US, but if you are traveling internationally with a minor child, technically you need notarized consent from the other parent. I have never cruised alone with my daughter, but I have flown internationally alone with her, and every time I've been asked for proof that I have her father's consent for her to travel. We are married, so it hasn't been a problem, and we get a new letter notarized every time the issue comes up. I don't know if you can get a "blanket" letter or not. The State Department should be able to give you accurate information - as I understand it, the rules are in place because of concerns about parents taking a child out of the country in an attempt to avoid custody findings, etc. So as a result, even those of us with good intent have to jump through the bureaucratic hoops.

Archived