unrest in Greneda

westcoastguy

The cruise companies would immediately suspend docking there if there was any danger to passengers. The demonstration were against perceived police brutality against Grenadian citizens. The unfortunate police brutality was against a man who was a Grenadian citizen who lived in Canada and was visiting Grenada for the holidays.

Fascinating I mentioned a year or so back on THIS board about the horribly bogus cops on Grenada. Geez thought it was just Todd:rolleyes: Due to my first unpleasant visit to Grenada when I was on this island LAST month I never got off the ship. For THIS reason.

I've been to almost every island in the Carib. some 5-10 times or more, this island is a sewer. I told Levi Baron on Dominica(Heaven on Earth) the same thing and he said they were having big problems over there. Never felt a worse vibe at any port in my life, I continue to remain astonished as to why ships keep porting there. Lush?? you gotta be kidding me. Later Todd

Fascinating I mentioned a year or so back on THIS board about the horribly bogus cops on Grenada. Geez thought it was just Todd:rolleyes: Due to my first unpleasant visit to Grenada when I was on this island LAST month I never got off the ship. For THIS reason.

I've been to almost every island in the Carib. some 5-10 times or more, this island is a sewer. I told Levi Baron on Dominica(Heaven on Earth) the same thing and he said they were having big problems over there. Never felt a worse vibe at any port in my life, I continue to remain astonished as to why ships keep porting there. Lush?? you gotta be kidding me. Later Todd

I don't know about the police brutality stuff but when we were there almost 3 years ago my DH went diving and when he got back we went to explore the port area and I must say I was NOT impressed and didn't understand why the cruise ship would even stop here. We are going there again and not sure what we'll do this time...maybe an excursion would be a lot better then exploring by yourself. We are going on the cruise for the other Islands and rather sad that Grenada is also on the list but maybe we'll spend our time on the ship and enjoy the solitude. We also went on an excursion with Levi that same cruise and he was absolutely fantastic and so was his tour!! LOVED Dominica - probably because of Levi!

• 4 weeks later...

Quote from the article:

"However, some in the crowd said it was unfair to paint all members of the Royal Grenada Police Force with the brutality brush and called the Bartholomew case isolated."

I can think of lots of cities and towns in the USA where SOME of the cops are/were corrupt too. One very large town in southern California town comes to mind. Guess I shouldn't visit L.A. or New Orleans.

Todd,

I searched a few different ways, and saw nothing on the Grenada board posted by you about bogus cops. Please elaborate.

If you don't get off the boat in Grenada, what do you do when one stops in Jamaica?? :-)

nikita,

You can't really judge Grenada just by the port area. What bad things would you say about Dominica, or Antigua if you didn't venture out of their port cities?

St Georges leaves a lot to be desired, but Grenada has some nice parts too. It's not going to be as lush as Dominica, but it's not bad either. I would take a day in Grenada over St Croix or St Thomas any day.

Dennis

Quote from the article:

"However, some in the crowd said it was unfair to paint all members of the Royal Grenada Police Force with the brutality brush and called the Bartholomew case isolated."

I can think of lots of cities and towns in the USA where SOME of the cops are/were corrupt too. One very large town in southern California town comes to mind. Guess I shouldn't visit L.A. or New Orleans.

Todd,

I searched a few different ways, and saw nothing on the Grenada board posted by you about bogus cops. Please elaborate.

If you don't get off the boat in Grenada, what do you do when one stops in Jamaica?? :-)

nikita,

You can't really judge Grenada just by the port area. What bad things would you say about Dominica, or Antigua if you didn't venture out of their port cities?

St Georges leaves a lot to be desired, but Grenada has some nice parts too. It's not going to be as lush as Dominica, but it's not bad either. I would take a day in Grenada over St Croix or St Thomas any day.

Dennis

You are right! After I posted my remarks I regretted doing it because I thought about it... Maybe if we had gotten off in port and just walked around in Dominica as we did in Grenada I would have felt the same way about that port of call...so hopefully this next time we will be able to get out of the port area and form a different opinion. I'm willing to try anyways and I've heard the beaches are beautiful in Grenada.

Thanks for your reply - it gave me an opportunity to sort of redeem myself :)

We were in Grenada last month and when they found out DW and I were Canadian I had both Mandoo Seales (our tour guide) and a Royal Grenada Policeman apologize for what happened to the Canadian resident (not a citizen). Mandoo said he knew the individual who had been killed as a "beach person" before marrying the Canadian. What happened was inexcusable but the man evidently had history in Grenada.

We've had some good visits to Grenada but we pay attention and mind our business. They suffered so horribly from a devastating hurricane some 5 or so years ago and I wonder how much recovering they still have to do.

We've had some good visits to Grenada but we pay attention and mind our business. They suffered so horribly from a devastating hurricane some 5 or so years ago and I wonder how much recovering they still have to do.

That was Hurricane Ivan in 2004. My Empress of the Seas cruise was supposed to stop there but instead we had an extra sea day (which turned out to be quite welcome on a very port intensive 11 night, 9 port itinerary). I finally made in there in 2010 and enjoyed my day there snorkeling and spending time on a beach.

It did have a huge impact on their nutmeg industry as it takes some years for the young trees no reach maturity and come back into production...7 years I beleive....so that industry is just getting back on its feet. The largest underling problem in Granada is unemployment which we were told is sitting at about 40%.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Grenada on Feb.15th and had a great time. We booked a 1/2 day snorkel excursion (through the ship) to the underwater sculptures with some time on Grande Anse Beach.

We had a blast and even hung out at the bar, drank some beer and chatted with the locals. They were warm and friendly - truly wonderful folks.

I'd go back again, no problems...

Cheers, P:)

We too were in Grenada on Feb 15 and did the snorkeling at the sculptures and time at Grand Anse Beach. We had a morning excursion and the water was so murkey that we could barely see the sculptures. Keep in mind that we snorkel on the surface and don't dive down. The only sculpture that we could see was the statue of Jesus. It gave us hope that there really were statues below. The water was choppy and several ppl just got back into the catamaran. My husband was one of them and he told me how a couple of ppl were sea sick. There were also a total of about 6 boats/catamarans. Also, we brought our own snorkel equipment, but heard from a lady that there was only a tube for her snorkel and no mouth guard or bite piece. She asked if this was a normal snorkeling experience and we told her that it wasn't and don't judge snorkeling by this first experience. Since we book in advance w/the ship, it is difficult to know the water conditions.

When getting back on the ship, we saw a couple who had taken the Seven Sisters waterfall hike. They said it was work, but a lot of fun. Maybe this could be a tour to try?

Archived