Well, we tried RCI and decided we are sticking with Carnival!

ohitssunshine

I will say when it comes to "size" of the rooms, I think Carnival has it.:) I have done NCL, RCCL, Holland American, and Princess. I have checked all their room size, and Carnival is a tad larger. Maybe some of the more "expensive":( ships might have larger rooms, but in comparable prices, Carnival has the larger rooms.

Im the same way. I lean toward preferring RCL, but also cruise Carnival a lot because its so convenient and goes out of Galveston 24/7. Nothing Carnival has touches Oasis and Allure. Nothing. Magic has some new stuff that will help close the gap in my opinion, but those ships are still head and shoulders above Carnival.

Same here. My next CCL cruise will be on Breeze in 2013. I hope Breeze is as cool looking as Magic. Among budget lines RCI is my favorite, but I stay away from Majesty and Monarch. They are the the step children of the most unfortunate kind.

However I have to admit, Carnival CC board is my favorite CC board. So lively and so interesting! Some of those more "expensive" lines's boards are no fun.

Just got back from a quick 3 day cruise aboard the Monarch of the Seas.

Now, I know, we picked the oldest ship and the shortest itinerary to do a comparison. But in all fairness, the ships we have been on with Carnival are pretty comparable to this one and the itineraries we have done are also comparable.

So apples to apples, Carnival has my vote.

Room service menu alone...Carnival has many more options. Although I know they are not hot dinners or anything, I think there is a better selection. One thing I did like was the raspberry cheesecake on RCI. But the first night, it was great. Raspberries on the plate with a nice fruit drizzle on the plate. The second night, same drizzle, no actual berries. The third night, no drizzle and no berries. :rolleyes:

Ability to carry wine aboard, obviously Carnival.

Hospitality...Carnival for sure. As far as all crew members I came in contact with, I think Carnival's team is much better. Always happy and friendly and helping to keep vacation mode going. (Our room steward on RCI was fantastic, otherwise everyone else was eh.)

Half Moon Cay vs CocoCay...Carnival again. HMC is much nicer than CocoCay. I like the natural areas better, and the sand is nicer and the layout as well.

Beach Towels...my goodness! We were given worn out towels, with rips and holes. And we had to pick them up and drop them off. Definitely not the nice quality like Carnival, and not easily accessible by being left in your room.

Continental Breakfast...Carnival. We could not even get breakfast delivered on debarkation day with RCI. Also Carnival has more options for this as well.

Embarkation...Carnival. Almost was not able to board the ship because I did not bring a marriage certificate to show my last name change. Don't get this because in order to get my license I had to show the certificate. Duh. But my bad...apparently it was somewhere in tiny print that I did not see. However, the people manning the desk in charge of my issue (and about 25 others who also did not bring it) were the least friendly people I have met. Now I know, crappy situation. But there was no sense of woohoo you're on vacation at all in the terminal. Lots of stern people.

Daily programs...Carnival again. There were maybe 3 comedy shows during our whole trip, but one I did not even realize...I never saw it in the Compass. The last night there was one show and not until 11:30 at night. I love being able to watch a couple comedy shows, and even the 3 or 4 in a row on Carnival.

Productions...I never saw the RCI one. We went to something we thought was a show, and it was the Captain meet and greet.

Dining...I do love seeing the waiters dancing and singing and RCI did not have that in the diningroom (at least on our night)

Dining menu....I think they are about the same. But we usually only eat in the diningroom for elegant night and that's it.

Rooms...Carnivals are bigger and I knew that going in. But even the little things. You do not get any small toiletries on RCI. Not that I count on them, but most times, I forgot something that is in that bowl and I am relieved it was there! In the showers, they only had shampoo, where I think Carnival has at least shampoo and body wash if not conditioner too. (I bring my own so just an observation)

I think that might be all for now. I do think RCI had a great atmosphere around the pool area the entire time, where for some reason every Carnival cruise I have taken the pool is shut down half the time.

I know I am not the first or last person to make any comparison between the 2, but I thought I would share my thoughts!

I also disagree. For same reasons .

I have taken the Paradise and the Monarch. Those ships are the oldest in each fleet. I found the upkeep on the Paradise was poor - dings and chips all over the ship. Cabin windows so scratched that you it was difficult to see out. Paint in hallway looked like someone's teenager did the work. I prefer the 'scramble' system on RCI in the buffet. I liked the asian stir fry station on the Paradise - that was very good. The cabin did have more space. The elevators had the strangest decor - Las Vegas 'Egyptian'? Entertainment was better on Carnival.

Monarch also had its dings and chips but the upkeep of the ship was much better. The cabins are very very small. We had great service on the Monarch - that was before the Oasis and Allure (I think RCI had to move a lot of experienced staff around - so service would suffer on the older ships.)

I think it is unfair to compare ships - unless they are similar in age and usage (ie short intro cruises or the standard 7 day).

I will say when it comes to "size" of the rooms, I think Carnival has it.:) I have done NCL, RCCL, Holland American, and Princess. I have checked all their room size, and Carnival is a tad larger. Maybe some of the more "expensive":( ships might have larger rooms, but in comparable prices, Carnival has the larger rooms.

So, the fact that say Freedom class standard balconys are larger in total s.f., including the balcony (the cabin portion is a few s.f. smaller but their balconys are larger) .. does not count because Freedom class on RCL is more expensive than Carnival?

Your logic seemed wrong to me. You can easily look up s.f on a site like cruisedeckplans.com ya know?? Food is subjective. Saying all cabins of like kind are bigger on Carnival just means you dont know FACTS. .. though you did couch your post with the disclaimer for "comparative prices". (though its not true for comparative categories.)

If you want to stick to subjective stuff like food or service, fine .. but when it is about FACTS.. its not subjective.

Not Hardly.. Rhapsody is a bucket of bolts.... a total piece of crap... Carnival's oldest ship, Fantasy, BLOWS it away!

Hey, I always liked the Rhapsody of the Seas. It's been a couple years since I was on her, but I liked the layout and the size was great.

That being said, I am just so glad there are so many different cruise lines to choose from as it does get boring TO ME to have the same menus, entertainment, etc. from cruise to cruise to cruise. It's fun to mix it up a bit. I have yet to sail a cruise line that I didn't have a great time cruising. They all have their strenghts and weakness, but that's ok by me. I really would like the food to improve but I'm sure that will eventually occur. Really want to try NCL, but am sooo scared with all the negative comments, one of these days I'll just do it.

Really have to agree that CCL has nothing to compare to RCI. Nothing close to spending the same amount for an inside cabin on Oasis as compared to a really nice blacony cabin on the Dream.

Really would like to try the Allure or Oasis. Just not going to pay double to hang out with 6000 folks..... ice rink or no ice rink!

Really have to agree that CCL has nothing to compare to RCI. Nothing close to spending the same amount for an inside cabin on Oasis as compared to a really nice blacony cabin on the Dream.

Really would like to try the Allure or Oasis. Just not going to pay double to hang out with 6000 folks..... ice rink or no ice rink!

Depends. Dream has nearly 4500 passengers on a 130,000 GT ship. Oasis has 6000 passengers on a 220,000 GT ship. Works out at 29 GT of space per passenger on Dream, and 36 on Oasis.

Same here. My next CCL cruise will be on Breeze in 2013. I hope Breeze is as cool looking as Magic. Among budget lines RCI is my favorite, but I stay away from Majesty and Monarch. They are the the step children of the most unfortunate kind.

However I have to admit, Carnival CC board is my favorite CC board. So lively and so interesting! Some of those more "expensive" lines's boards are no fun.

Stop picking on poor Majesty and Monarch. I truly like these ships - they are my choice for the little 3 day weekender cruises - I just sailed Majesty twice last summer. I know their rooms are TINY, but I am hardly in the cabin on a 3 day cruise.

Have you seen Breeze's renderings on Carnival's website? Breeze is looking to be one of the most attractive ships at sea - across all lines. I love the decor they are planning. I never thought I would say I love the decor on a Carnival ship, but whoever took over for Farcus did an amazing job.

I've been reading that a lot of you are complimenting the Magic. Another passenger on our past cruise said we'd like the Magic.

Just out of curiosity, are there other Carnival ships that are I don't know... comparable to the Mariner of the Seas and the Voyager Class? Like do any of them have 2 theaters, 2+ pools and similar promenade like deck?

I've been reading that a lot of you are complimenting the Magic. Another passenger on our past cruise said we'd like the Magic.

Just out of curiosity, are there other Carnival ships that are I don't know... comparable to the Mariner of the Seas and the Voyager Class? Like do any of them have 2 theaters, 2+ pools and similar promenade like deck?

All of Carnival's larger ships from Destiny on up have a similar layout. Dream class (Magic, Dream, Breeze) are the only ones with a wrap around promenade.

Spirit class ships are smaller, but have a design that many people like better than the big ships. They also have an almost wrap around promenade (the front 25% is inside).

As far as additional theaters, the Destiny and higher class ships have a big aft lounge with a stage. Also, the Breeze is going to have a 5-D movie theater. I believe all Destiny and larger ships have 2 pools, not that I think they are big enough for the number of passengers.

In response to this statement made in a post by Buddylover:

"Food: No comparison, CCL's food is far superior. RCI does not bake any breads, pastries or sauces on board, they are all carried on and not good...that infamous Honey Stung Chicken is frozen Tyson's patties...yuck!!"

I am very curious to find out your source of information that makes you think that RCI does not bake any breads, pastries, or sauces on board and that they are all carried in.

I've sailed with RCI five times and Carnival two. The most recent cruise on the Destiny is the one which has kept me away from Carnival since then. The service was terrible, and I had to deal with a soaking wet carpet in my cabin for three days after the cabin next door had a pipe burst. The people in that cabin got moved to a different one. I had to deal with wet carpet the rest of the week. For my inconvenience I got some chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine to share with my dinner table :rolleyes:

My RCI cruises have not been perfect, but the friendliness of the RCI crew has always been fantastic.

I would say the food on Carnival is slightly better, but I don't sail for the food so that isn't the major consideration for me.

However, if I have a choice between Royal Caribbean and Carnival, I would probably choose Princess :D

I've sailed with RCI five times and Carnival two. The most recent cruise on the Destiny is the one which has kept me away from Carnival since then. The service was terrible, and I had to deal with a soaking wet carpet in my cabin for three days after the cabin next door had a pipe burst. The people in that cabin got moved to a different one. I had to deal with wet carpet the rest of the week. For my inconvenience I got some chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine to share with my dinner table :rolleyes:

My RCI cruises have not been perfect, but the friendliness of the RCI crew has always been fantastic.

I would say the food on Carnival is slightly better, but I don't sail for the food so that isn't the major consideration for me.

However, if I have a choice between Royal Caribbean and Carnival, I would probably choose Princess :D

+1 for Princess. I do like RCI too (smaller ships). Carnival has its plusses as well, I would be on Princess or RCI first if I have the option.

We would love to try the Oasis or Allure too, but not at the prices they are charging.

After going on RCL Navigator of the Seas, we decided to give Carnival a try. We went on The Dream, The Miracle, The Freedom, and next week we will be on The Liberty. Yesterday we decided to go back to RCL and booked Liberty of the Seas for next January. Wife decided we need a break from CCL. Looking forward to a break myself.

I so agree. Someone picks one of the two oldest ships in RCL's fleet, which have the tiny cabins .. and then transfers it to all RCL ships have smaller cabins and thinks they are now experts on both lines.

Monarch and Majesty cabins are not typical. .. for those like the OP who dont seem to comprehend this and then want to make generalizations. OP until you have done a newer RCL ship .. then come back and talk. Otherwise its all sweeping generalizations.

Never said I was an expert. I am comparing an old RCI ship to an old Carnival ship. Never been on the newer larger ships on either line, and not worried about trying them either. I am happy with the experience I get with the smaller ships. Just wanted to offer my opinion- I come here to get the opinion of others to help me make decisions, so why not offer mine?

One thing is for sure; both of these cruise giants are doing something right; both have their legions of fans that tout their superiority to the other.

In my view, the reality is they are very similar although each has it's own 'personality' as it were.

I think RCCL has a superior repeat customer perk system, but Carnival is catching up.

I think Carnival may get the nod on food, but food is subjective and they are very close; neither is going to be able to beat the true luxury cruise lines that serve significantly smaller groups of people, who are paying significantly more money.

Both lines newer ships are very nice; but few argue Royal Caribbean's are not the winner in this category...that is part of their "personality"...incredibly beautiful...and HUGE ships with so many sports and entertainment options...they are truly a destination in themselves.

Carnival's standard cabins are larger; but both have very comfortable quarters.

Service and "smiles" on both are comparable; but as we all know...that can vary so much from ship to ship and cruise to cruise and person to person it is hard to accurately portray it any more than subjectively. I think they both do well on this on balance considering the number of people on a ship.

The best cruise 'value'? Again, that can be subjective; but forced to make an opinion, it would be Carnival. They do so very well at such a low price point.

To me, the only bad cruise is the one I am forced to cancel.

One thing is for sure; both of these cruise giants are doing something right; both have their legions of fans that tout their superiority to the other.

In my view, the reality is they are very similar although each has it's own 'personality' as it were.

I think RCCL has a superior repeat customer perk system, but Carnival is catching up.

I think Carnival may get the nod on food, but food is subjective and they are very close; neither is going to be able to beat the true luxury cruise lines that serve significantly smaller groups of people, who are paying significantly more money.

Both lines newer ships are very nice; but few argue Royal Caribbean's are not the winner in this category...that is part of their "personality"...incredibly beautiful...and HUGE ships with so many sports and entertainment options...they are truly a destination in themselves.

Carnival's standard cabins are larger; but both have very comfortable quarters.

Service and "smiles" on both are comparable; but as we all know...that can vary so much from ship to ship and cruise to cruise and person to person it is hard to accurately portray it any more than subjectively. I think they both do well on this on balance considering the number of people on a ship.

The best cruise 'value'? Again, that can be subjective; but forced to make an opinion, it would be Carnival. They do so very well at such a low price point.

To me, the only bad cruise is the one I am forced to cancel.

Well said. I agree 100%. Let me add, as a former restaurant manager, I would give the nod in dinning room service to RCCL. I was blown away by the dinning room service we received on Monarch of the Seas. Much better than any CCL ship we have been on. The server even crumbed the table after the main course. Excellent service.:D

Archived