Questions about an Alaskan cruise

Sheran

We have taken several cruises to the Bahamas and to the Caribbean and now we are thinking about an Alaskan cruise.

We would like to leave out of Seattle.

Can anyone tell me when would be the best time to take this cruise and any other information you could tell me about it.

Thanks

We have taken several cruises to the Bahamas and to the Caribbean and now we are thinking about an Alaskan cruise.

We would like to leave out of Seattle.

Can anyone tell me when would be the best time to take this cruise and any other information you could tell me about it.

Thanks

They only sail Alsaka May/Sept. Its Beautiful...do it!

try to get a balcony so you can enjoy the scenery.

Very different than a Caribbean Cruise..but so, very enjoyable.

We enjoyed sailing over the summer solstice on HAL twice. Sun didn't go down until 11:30pm. The last cruise on of the season will have lots of shopping bargains. A balcony is nice but not important for us. First time we went we had an OV and spent lots of time on the teak chairs. Second time we had a suite with a large balcony, missed the 'excitement' of being with everybody.

Alaska is so port intensive that it almost doesn't matter which line you sail with. Though I do have my eye on the 14day HAL Amsterdam cruise.

Alaska is a must-do! We've gone twice now and wish we could afford this one every year. Balcony not necessary for us, as someone else said the cruise is port intensive. And, depending on when you go you really won't use it that much unless you enjoy sitting out in the cold. We've gone in May and in September (cheaper) and although I don't mind the cold I wouldn't spend much time on a balcony during those months.

The scenery is spectacular and I don't know a single person that has said they didn't enjoy this cruise.

We took this cruise in Aug 2010 out of Seattle and had a great time. We spent 2 days touring Seattle, I suggest the Duckie Tour. We went to Alaska 3rd week in August. Make sure to take a hat, gloves and warm weather proof jacket. We did have a balcony but anywhere you go on the ship has a view. Seeing Alaska in person is awsome.

We went in May and had fantastic weather .We also had a balcony which if you can afford I would highly recommend . Bring layers & binoculars ! Dressing in the dining room was very casual even on elegant night . Alaska is port intensive so a few nights we just hit the buffet .

I didn't want to go to Alaska because I am a beach girl. My husband wanted to go. I loved it. Waking up to see those glaciers and whales was awesome. It will be something you will never forget. I probably look at these pictures more than any of our other trips.

Mrsosci

Head to the Alaska board and read up on all the hot Alaska topics (what time to go, which cruise line, which route to sail, etc). Just don't let it all overwhelm you so much that you back away from it. There is a lot of research that can be done before you decide on a sailing. Just remember, like anything on this forum, there are a lot of opinions out there. Again, you could drive yourself crazy trying to decide on the "perfect" Alaska cruise. I don't care what anyone says, I doubt any cruise you pick would be a truly "bad" choice. Just get informed, make a decision and start planning.

By all means do one though. It is an amazing experience. We did the Carnival Spirit in May 2010 and will be on the HAL Westerdam this July.

If you want to see lots of ice in the water and snow on the mountains, go early in the season. If you want to see lots of bears, go late (when the salmon are spawning). People are very passionate about Alaska; spend some time on the Alaska boards, reading reviews and asking questions, and you'll figure out what time of year/itinerary is right for you. I think taking a ferry on the Alaska Marine Highway is the ultimate way to experience Alaska, but not many people consider such a trip.

Traveled on Holland America's Amsterdam fourteen day Alaska sailing last July with my wife and fourteen year old son. The cruise was wonderful and Alaska is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. Weather was excellent during our cruise and we hardly had any rain. We met a couple from San Diego who were on their second back to back fourteen cruise who stated that the weather was so much better during the second fourteen days. I was concerned about the cold weather but realized that the beauty of this state outweighs a possible bad day or two. It is definitely worth it to cruise this itinerary at least once in your life

An Alaska cruise is like no other, and I highly encourage you to go. I just went in September and it was fabulous. The scenery is awesome! Just be sure to take warm clothes and a good warm jacket and gloves or mittens. The first cruise of the season and the last one go to Glacier Bay, which is spectacular. Also, being on the last of the season we found excellent sale prices both aboard the ship and in all the ports of call. Nancy

We sailed on the Carnival Spirit August 9 to Alaska from Seattle. We had a balcony and I cannot imagine sailing up the Tracy Arm Fjord any other way. It was so peaceful as the ship glided up through the Fjord by icebergs. The views are spectacular. We bundled up on the deck and were able to hear the naturalist over the TV (with the balcony door open some). She would report sightings of mountain goats, eagles, whales, dolphins and sea otters, as well as share facts about the area. We didn't want to miss a thing sailing in the Fjord, so we ordered room service instead of going out for lunch.

The ports were awesome and the weather fantastic - tshirts and capris when we were walking in town, jackets when we were on the deck of the ship sailing.

One thing we missed seeing was a bear, but all the other sites were worth it.

Head to the Alaska board and read up on all the hot Alaska topics (what time to go, which cruise line, which route to sail, etc). Just don't let it all overwhelm you so much that you back away from it. There is a lot of research that can be done before you decide on a sailing. Just remember, like anything on this forum, there are a lot of opinions out there. Again, you could drive yourself crazy trying to decide on the "perfect" Alaska cruise. I don't care what anyone says, I doubt any cruise you pick would be a truly "bad" choice. Just get informed, make a decision and start planning.

By all means do one though. It is an amazing experience. We did the Carnival Spirit in May 2010 and will be on the HAL Westerdam this July.

Your 2010 Alaska cruise review is what REALLY got me so interested in doing an Alaska cruise. We hope to go May 2013. We're just waiting to see what Carnival ship will be cruising.

Thanks for your review!!

DJ

We went mid June and it was fantastic!!! It got in the 60's a couple of days! I would recommend a balcony...when we were going thru the f'jords it was fantastic to be cuddled up watching everything go by....so peaceful!!! I would also recommend the whale watching/salmon bake (by the Allen Marine Company) ....AWESOME!

We went June 21, 2011 (do a search on my name and you'll see the review with pics). Awesome! Best cruise to date! Weather was approx 65 degrees everyday with only 1 or 2 two brief sprinkles and no bugs!

Lots of wildlife to view...though we never saw the bears...just the bear scat!:rolleyes:

Your 2010 Alaska cruise review is what REALLY got me so interested in doing an Alaska cruise. We hope to go May 2013. We're just waiting to see what Carnival ship will be cruising.

Thanks for your review!!

DJ

Thank you very much. I loved doing it and wish I had the time to write one every time. I am very curious to see Alaska this year in mid July vs the May cruise we did.

Thank you very much. I loved doing it and wish I had the time to write one every time. I am very curious to see Alaska this year in mid July vs the May cruise we did.

Well, if you do a review of it, you can bet I will be glued to it. You have a knack for writing reviews. Honestly, it was the most memorable review I've read. Have fun this summer!!

DJ

Archived