Maasdam April 16, 2012 So. Carib. Sailing-Wondering why No Roll Call

SeaGypsies

Hi all,

I still have time to cancel this sailing date if there is something I should know about sailing on this particular cruise.

There is no roll call listed for this cruise. Have tried to start one but no one else seems to be going on CC.

Is this a bad time to sail to the caribbean? Please help me with info before I plunk down my final payment.

Thanks all.

I thought there was a roll call for this cruise. I can't remember if we looked for a roll call or not. Usually, we sign in on the roll call as soon as we book the cruise.

On some cruises there is a very active roll call, and others there just isn't. We recently went to the Galapagos Islands, and there was just one other couple on the roll call. I thought there might be a large group booked, or something. But, it was simply that the other passengers were'nt aware there was a Cruise Critic site.

Don't get discouraged. You aren't alone! We'll be there! :D

An inactive roll call doesn't mean it's a bad cruise - just that there aren't too many cc'ers on the roll call or cruising. I find Caribbean cruises are usually not as active as say, a transatlantic or European as they usually require much more research. JMO:)

Hi all,

I still have time to cancel this sailing date if there is something I should know about sailing on this particular cruise.

There is no roll call listed for this cruise. Have tried to start one but no one else seems to be going on CC.

Is this a bad time to sail to the caribbean? Please help me with info before I plunk down my final payment.

Thanks all.

Hubby and I will be there, too. And there is a roll call listed & I see your name on there. Now that the holidays are over, it is starting to get exciting & we are looking forward to this cruise. We sailed on the Maasdam a couple of years ago & loved her.

Shirley (& Danny)

In my mind April is the best month to visit the Caribbean. I've done it myself (including a cruise on Maasdam a few years ago) several times. It's less crowded because the winter snowbird season is over and kids are in school. It's not hurricane season and there normally isn't much rain. Many cruiselines have started pulling their ships to other areas so not as many ships in port on the same day. Since the season is ending, some shops have good bargains.

I wouldn't be nervous a cruise because of lack of roll call participation. My last cruise was on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas, which is a very large ship compared to HAL's fleet. We only had about a half dozen roll call participants but only a couple of us were really active. Many people simply don't know about Cruise Critic or don't want to join roll calls.

There is no roll call listed for this cruise.
Actually, there is (in addition to the one you've started): April 16, 2012 Maasdam 11 Night Southern Caribbean, which was started on 29 August 2011, and in which you posted on 1 December 2011:-
We have just booked this cruise 2. Why so few on this roll call, I wonder? Isn't the middle of April a good time to go to the So. Caribbean?

Ok, I feel much better now with the cruise date. Thanks to all who answered my questions. I thought there was an earlier roll call but couldn't find it when I went back to post.

To the ones who have been to these islands before (St. Martin, St. Croix, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Vincent, etc.) and know of some good (not too touristy) beaches and shopping (souveniers particular to the island) info, I would really appreciate your feedback. I've been searching online but could use some of your advice too.

Thanks again for your help.:)

Archived