boy am I dumb

Hawaiidan

I dont know how I misses Oceania.. Loved Regent but got too spendy, Went t0 Holland, but runover by too many scooter riding buffet bunnies and kids but loved their cabins and decore. and ships the size of aircraft carriers..yuk

Just booked a 28 day with Celeb..( nickel-n-dime cruise line) for an antarctic run because it was the only choice and bang for the buck.... first and last. I like piano bars not beer/sports bars. and a friggen lawn on a ship and pay tv..!!! and the phoney baloney elite programs and their class systems.

THEN....I some how stumbled across the Marina .

WOW, where has it been its a Jr Regent at 1/3 the cost!!! 1200 people..YEA,

I got tears of joy reading "no kids program". Then about all the alternative restauraunts are included!!! open seating.. Is this real !!( are they all?)

AND an open liquor policy and a very cheap open Bar.$49 a day (Celeb. charges$60)

Plus an art center.... sweet Jesus it just keeps getting better and better!!! Then airfare included in price....

Ok....I am totaly starry eyed...blown away.. Is there a hook... a down side??? Is it really that good? I know when you read something that seems too good to be true it might not be! so Help...

Is it that good?/

There's no hook. It's that good. If you liked Regent, you'll feel right at home with Oceania -- they're sister cruise lines with the same overall management, and they rotate staff. Oceania's food is a little better than Regent (and Marina offers 4 specialty restaurants at no extra charge and has a grill-to-order station on the more casual Terrace Buffet that offers lobster every evening, for example), but Regent food is catching up since the foodie Oceania staff has been rotating.

Regent has gotten pricey because it's all inclusive -- Oceania is the ala carte version. You do have to buy that total alocohol package, and pay for excursions (a new excursion package has just been introduced), and pay gratuities (but most travel agents will comp them), and pay a small amount for the launderettes (one on every passenger floor on Marina), but overall, depensing on your cabin choice, Oceana is a better deal.

The biggest difference other than the ala carte business is cabin size -- on Regent Navigator and Voyager, even the smallest cabins are really comfortable suites of 301 square feet with walk-in closets. On Marina, most of the cabins (ocean view and veranda) are 242 square feet, have somewhat awkward closets, slightly uncomfortable shower (although there is also a tub), and are not as spacious as the square footage might indicate. Still, they are way more than adequate and somewhat improved over the smaller Oceania ships.

I, too, have tried some of the other cruise lines -- once on Celebrity was enough for me, too -- and I have sailed Regent in the Caribbean when the prices are somewhat lower -- but I have over 100 days on Oceania and consider it my favorite cruise line.

By the way, if Marina blows you away, her sister ship Riviera is nearing completion and will be even better. If there were any minor problems with Marina, they should be solved on Riviera.

And then is us...who took our first cruise on O and are afraid to cruise with another line!

We are leaving for South Pacific in Feb which will be #5 and have #6 booked.

Mo

Oh my, us too. Made the "mistake" of booking "O" as our first ever cruise in 2008 we are now just finished Marina in Carib and are set to sail on Riviera (#7) in Sept. Very addictive.

Enjoy the South Pacific...we can't do an extended cruise until DH is "retired", whatever that means these days:rolleyes:

Wow, maybe I don't want to push Oceania, after reading the OP's comments on the riff-raff he hopes to avoid. I am disabled and I wouldn't want to sully the OP's viewpoint by struggling through in front of him with a cane or possibly in a wheelchair. God forbid I might actually decide to rent a scooter for the cruise because I have difficulty standing or walking (and the reasons why are none of your business). Are overweight people or the elderly also a problem?

Give me a break...:(

Rubysue He was talking about the ones who do not need the scooters, etc and yes on every cruise line there are people that use them so that they do not have to stand in line. I should say, even on land as well. I saw several people rent wheelchairs while at Disneyland/world who rented wheelchairs just so that they did not have to stand in lines. The different members of the party took turns riding in the wheelchair or else they just dumped all their backpacks on the seat until it was time to get on a ride.

How does he or you know whether or not a person needs a scooter to move around? Do you have special insight into their medical history? Yes, I have seen people who seem to be abusing the system, especially at Disney World, but since I became disabled I have become less judgmental because many disabilities are not "in your face" obvious. I have had thoughtless cretins question why I am using a wheelchair or scooter when I can walk or stand, sometimes even without a cane for a few minutes.

The ones that you see running around the deck when they think no one is around and yes I did see that on my last cruise, not Oceania. I was quite amused actually knowing that this lady had at dinner time telling someone else at the table behind me how hard it was to be confined to a wheelchair and what a hardship it was to her family. The reason I recognized her is that she had driven her wheelchair into my ankle while getting off the elevator and no I did not say anything to her. At that point I thought she had not been using a wheelchair that long. I also heard another lady saying to her husband as we were getting in line to board the ship, let's go rent a wheelchair as that will speed up the boarding process. To my amazement that is exactly what they did.

Back in early November 2005 we were spending a few days in Barcelona before boarding Regatta for the Libya cruise that became the NON-Libya cruise.

The day before boarding the ship we took the train down to Girona for the day and in the process I blew out my knee. I was pretty well incapacitated on the cruise -- I was in a wheelchair going into the dining room, and on crutches on the shore excursions I participated in.

We ended up in Lisbon post-cruise and I was using a cane by this point, but did use a wheelchair in the airport going home.

I was really delighted at the extra service I got when in a wheelchair -- being bumped up to the head of all lines, for example. And I did consider continuing to require wheelchairs once I was no longer needing a cane, etc.

But I couldn't do it ... I can understand wanting to get the advantage. But deep down, I couldn't take advantage of everyone else. The people who really need wheelchairs (as I did for a brief time) should be granted the privilege.

HOWEVER!

While I enjoyed the benefit of being bumped to the head of the line, I question whether someone should be bumped up just because he/she is in a wheelchair. We have been disadvantaged when we had close connections and someone in a wheelchair gets to go in front of us -- with ALL of their traveling party! -- while we wait.

I'm not talking about being allowed to board a flight early. When I had blown out my knee, I really NEEDED to board early. I'm talking about going through customs, etc., ahead of everyone else. I loved having that benefit but even as I was wheeled up to the head of the line, I didn't think it was justified. I suppose the person pushing you wants to get a tip and go off to find another wheelchair passenger. But is that a valid reason for bumping handicapped passengers up to the head of the line?

Not easy questions ...

Yup, that's us, the "disabled" - we're deliberately faking things like Rheumatoid arthritis (my disease that has destroyed several joints and caused other problems) or MS or Lupus or stroke recovery (like a dear friend of mine who had several strokes at age 37 after brain surgery), just so we can jump the lines. I don't give a darn about the line because I am probably in a wheelchair but my hubby may be a little tired of pushing me and trying to move bags at the same time, so he might like a shortcut.

I can't count the number of times that able-bodied fellow travelers have pushed ahead of me into elevators or nearly tripped me when I have been walking with a cane or let the door slam into my face or stared at me with a frown on their face. I think the ultimate, though, was a fellow passenger on Marina last year. We were in Kotor and we decided to disembark using the stairs; we had used the crew exit in other ports. We waited until most people were off the ship. My DH carried the wheelchair and I slowly made my way down the gangplank, taking each stair one at a time. I smiled and apologized to a handful of people waiting at the bottom to come up, only to have an older gentleman berate me for taking so long and demanding that I apologize again and thank him profusely because I made him wait a few minutes. My DH was appalled at the rudeness. I guess he must be a typical OCL passenger, based on some of these comments on this thread.

I hate the attention, I hate kids staring at me, I hate the hoops we jump through to try and enjoy a trip, I hate being pushed to the front of the line when I don't necessarily need to be there. I would like to be normal. I have had one knee replaced and the other one will be done soon, so I can be more mobile, but it doesn't cure my RA. Walk a mile in my shoes...that's right, you couldn't. :mad:

I hate the attention, I hate kids staring at me, I hate the hoops we jump through to try and enjoy a trip, I hate being pushed to the front of the line when I don't necessarily need to be there. I would like to be normal. Walk a mile in my shoes...that's right, you couldn't. :mad:

Being in your shoes Rubysue, I know exactly what you are talking about. I hate having to apologize for something I can't control (when my body doesn't cooperate), yet I don't get an apology from someone one who could have shown a little patience.

I am glad to see you have enjoyed many ports, continue to do so, and sounds like you have a wonderful spouse! That's the most important thing in life, the rest - I file as "an experience". Keep cruising and I wish you well! *hugs*

Being in your shoes Rubysue, I know exactly what you are talking about. I hate having to apologize for something I can't control (when my body doesn't cooperate), yet I don't get an apology from someone one who could have shown a little patience.

I am glad to see you have enjoyed many ports, continue to do so, and sounds like you have a wonderful spouse! That's the most important thing in life, the rest - I file as "an experience". Keep cruising and I wish you well! *hugs*

Thank you so much for your kind comments! I started an interesting thread about this topic in the disabled section and there are many great responses so far. Good cruising to you, too!:)

I am not don't on disabled. Spent a year in a wheel chair in my younger days ( clash of 66). I and my wife also worked in medicine for 30 years, so I have the basics of appreciation of who needs what and why.

My sole point is, as others have validated, that there are a lot of people who are using the illusion of a disability to cull favor and privilidge. The scooter ridding dog feeding deck queen clearly was the zenith of the faux disabled.

I did make an observation, valid or not, that passengers with canes, walkers and wheel chairs were a great lot to be admired for their drive and personal courage.;)

However, it likewise appeared that scooter riders seemed to really not need them for the most part and used them for either attention, privilage or just plain lold fashioned lazyness. To a person, I saw these folks spring on and off their scooter when ever it suited them. Disabled by desire not by condition. The sheer number if incidents I saw seemed to validate this assumption.:o

I also would like to clairify I am not seeking to hob-nob with beautiful people and avoid the "rif raff" ( someone elses words mot mine). What I failed to convey is that, on past cruises, I deeply enjoyed the interesting personalities and experiences that I learned from through interaction with other passengers.

On other lines ( mass market) I found both the size and focus of the passengers to be pretty limiting. People were rushing to get food, book a spa, play basketball, do a rock climb,Etc. It was very impersonal like a huge Vegas hotel. Whereas, in smaller ships it seems to attract a person with a greater sence of appreciation for calm simple and serene. People who like the actual experience of of ocean travel and being in the company of others to share that experience. People interested in others and lacked the look at me focus.

Hey, I dont care for a lot of the sallow absorbed, I dont loathe then, I dont like liver either, I dont look down on it either. I just dont care for it.

I will be on board soon....and may soon be listening to your stories and experiences, whether in a wheel chair or a deck chair

Archived