Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

atush thay kind of 'only the US can sort stuff out' sentiment isnt really helpful and its a pity that some people take this tone...I've already read 'this would never happen on a US registered ship' and 'this would never happen with US crew' posts on other threads....

atush thay kind of 'only the US can sort stuff out' sentiment isnt really helpful and its a pity that some people take this tone...I've already read 'this would never happen on a US registered ship' and 'this would never happen with US crew' posts on other threads....

i am not deckofficer, and I was not saying what you said I did. I was point out ANOTHER Problem with a flag of convenience Ie criminal investigations and did say the italians seem to have a hand on this so far (incl already having investigated rocks off the island where the ship hit etc) and having arrested the captain. I don't consider italy a flag of convenience like the other 2 i mentionned and will add Liberia to problem list.

The fact that the disappearnce of this young lady is not being invesitgated or solved as the bahamian police (and I lived there a number of years) are out of their depth means that all should think about where a ship they are sailing on is registered. I never said only the US can sort things out, I would like to see the UK police be able to investigate the disppearance but that isn't catered for under the flag of convenience system which I think should be changed on this issue. It is something that should be considered by all the cruise industry and all cruisers.

That is all.

The maritime World is mostly running behind the safety enhancements in aviation.
And that would be, because..

in the words of Sammy Davis Jr. when discussing his options re. flying versus taking a ship

said...

I can swim a little -but I can't fly at all. ;)

Sea passes from the fated trip.

And for some reason that is a bad thing to try to sell, why?

People collect all manner of items, and a sea pass card from the ill fated sailing would be very collectible indeed to some people.

As a comparison, aren't they about to auction off items recovered from the Titanic?

What makes this such a heinous crime that needed to be stopped?

I'm Italian and as first i would like to say i'm indignated for the shame the ship's captain, Francesco Schettino has put all over us, we are not like him, we are accurate on what we do.

That said i would like specify that, according with latest news, some scuba divers of police had found the rock formation hit by the ship and its was found that the distance from the coast its exactly 92 to 96 mt (302 to 315 feet) and the deep of the rock formation it was 8 mt (26 ft.).

Also from the black box seems that the exact time of impact it was 9.58 pm.

I'm Italian and as first i would like to say i'm indignated for the shame the ship's captain, Francesco Schettino has put all over us, we are not like him, we are accurate on what we do.

That said i would like specify that, according with latest news, some scuba divers of police had found the rock formation hit by the ship and its was found that the distance from the coast its exactly 92 to 96 mt (302 to 315 feet) and the deep of the rock formation it was 8 mt (26 ft.).

Also from the black box seems that the exact time of impact it was 9.58 pm.

Take pride in your countries efforts to help those in need. The shame is the Captain's, not yours or your country's.

No the last I read three were dead, 14 hurt and some were still missing.

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201201141252-cro-ren1026-costa_concordia_runs_aground_off_giglio_3_dead_14_hurt

Get your facts straight.

Dear Canadian Karebear,

when I started the thread, here in Italy, all media was announcing the event exactly like I reported.

Now the links in my first post are redirected to updated articles but at that time all ANSA said " no victims ".

As you may see, few posts later, I uptaded the thread with the sad announcement "there would be some victims"... Would, because media were not sure!

Then I leave the thread.

When I returnded, unfortunately, the event was tragically evolved. Everybody already knew that dead people were found, and It was sure.

So, I simply expresed my condolences ( "my thought and prayers to..." ), no more.

That's all.

It wasn't my purpose to give inaccurate news or false hopes, but only follow the tragic event and share the information coming from Italy with you all. Eventually forgive me anyhow.

ItalianGuest

PS Sorry for my poor English

Thanks for posting this, it is interesting to see a professional presentation on how this might have occurred.

One point on that graphic - the "normal route" shown is incorrect. The normal route is farther east and is a straight line through deep water with no deviation toward Giglio at all. Earlier plots of the AIS data showed the normal route.

La Repubblica is reporting that:

Impact occurred at 21.42

Evacuation began at 22.58

Obvious question, why did it take over an hour and a quarter to order the evacuation?

There are a lot of reports now about the delay. Yesterday's are about how passengers phones relatives on the mainland, then the port authority and coast guard confronted the ship who reported "technical problem" but okay... then coast guard told them to evacuate.

Today there is a report about the scene on the bridge as the captain was glued to his phone and unresponsive to his officers and master who reported the engine room was flooded.

Just as a matter of interest, has it come to light who was steering the ship when it hit the rocks? (I am not in any way saying the captain is not to blame if he was not steering the ship but I am just interested. If he placed such an important responsibility in someone else's hands at such a dangerous time, then I am even more astounded.)

According with some italian newspaper, seems that before the accident, the ship was cruising at about 15 knots, when had hit the rock the speed falled at about 6 knots in just few seconds.

The difference of about 9 knots had make many people falling and get them injuiried (this also explain why many people said that on restaurant all things has falled down).

Giorgio

(Please understand that english its not my natural language)

http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/cronaca/toscana/articoli/1034156/concordia-nelle-telefonate-alla-guardia-costiera-tutte-le-bugie-del-comandante.shtml

Giorgio...and sadly Italian should be my second language, but it's extremely poor. :o

Maybe you can help translate some of this conversation between the coast guard and the captain...sounds to me like the Captain abandoned ship and the coast guard is telling him to come back since there are still kids, women and others that need help. :confused:

There has been many posting which I have found most interesting. I'd like to add to the forum some items that my wife and I take as our "emergency pack". I've attached I think two small photos showing clockwise: Quad band mobile (cell phone) with international sim; credit card;vital phone numbers; whistle; usb containing all vital details such as scans of passports, contact details, all in pdf form;small thumb flashlight;govt issued photo ID. All contained in a waterproof container. We keep this with us both onboard and when ashore. We each have one so that if we ever get separated from each other we can at least communicate by phone,(only ever had to use the phone once). We also have our "cruise card" on a lanyard plus a small flashlight attached. Many survivors spoke of being disorientated in the dark.

We also have a firm plan that if we are separated by an incident that we will not go looking for each other but take responsibility for our own safety and will meet at a pre arranged location,(usually the town post office.) We have always felt it was overkill but following this tragic event, our preparation would have come into play and perhaps helped.

If others have similar plans it may be a good time to share with others.

IMG_5085.jpg.65b586470ae73aed85f1a9afaa1586f5.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg.490406d75cb68ade9537cd6e8d32d156.jpg

http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/cronaca/toscana/articoli/1034156/concordia-nelle-telefonate-alla-guardia-costiera-tutte-le-bugie-del-comandante.shtml

Giorgio...and sadly Italian should be my second language, but it's extremely poor. :o

Maybe you can help translate some of this conversation between the coast guard and the captain...sounds to me like the Captain abandoned ship and the coast guard is telling him to come back since there are still kids, women and others that need help. :confused:

I will try, pls give me a little time to do it

Transcript from Sky News:

Schettino is due in court later charged with manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing a shipwreck - all of which he denies.

A conversation between the captain and a coastguard official recorded on one of the ship's "black boxes" was revealed through the release of a transcript.

16149419.jpg

"Now you go to the bow, you climb up the emergency ladder and co-ordinate the evacuation," the official reportedly tells him.

"You must tell us how many people, children, women and passengers are there and the exact number of each category.

"What are you doing? Are you abandoning the rescue? Captain, this is an order, I am the one in charge now. You have declared abandoning ship, There are already bodies."

"How many?" Schettino says, to which the official responds: "That is for you to tell me, what are you doing? Do you want to go home?"

Thanks Giorgio...I know how extremely difficult it is when translating since many words don't have an exact match in another language...plus throw in idioms and colloquial expressions and it makes things even more difficult.

Your effort is much appreciated! :)

I obviously don't know which rock Concordia hit, but according to an electronic chart of the area dated 2007, there are a group of underwater rocks slightly east of the Isole Le Scole. (The two small islands on the east of the island). The most easterly rock is 58 metres from the Isole Le Scole

Right-clicking the rock and bringing up the additional information for that rock gives :

"Name: Dangerous Rock.

Position: Unknown.

Depth: Unknown, Dangerous for Navigation."

VP

Concordia, in phone calls to the Coast Guard commander of all the lies

At the phone he retracted that he left the ship. Schettino also lied about the number of evacuees.

All the lies of the commander of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, emerging from telephone calls with the Harbour Master, recorded and seized by the prosecution. "What do you want to do, you want to go home?" Asks in a voice altered the officer of the Coast Guard to Schettino. The captain had just let out a "we left the ship", but after the strong reaction of the Harbour had recanted: "No, no, we still are onboard."

Here in detail what happened that night.

At 0:32 was made the first phone call from the coast guard officer to the cell phone of the capitian (but according to witnesses, he was already safely on the cliff).

They asked how many people are still on board.

Schettino responds 2-300, in other words, he claims that were already 4 thousand people evacuated after only 40 minutes abandoning ship. Its a number that he repeats several times during the call. "Now I go back on bridge - he said to the coast guard - I went aft to see what was happening." "You will stay on bridge until the end ?" Asks the operations room. "I believe that i will be alone" he replies.

"You have already left the ship? Absolutely not" he replied

At 00:42 a new call to the ship's capitain. The operations room of the coast guard asks how many people still have to be evacuated. Schettino says, "I called the company and they tell me that there are a hundred people. In fact, the evacuation was instead still in full swing, if not at first. "I'm coordinating" ensures Schettino to the officer.

A few seconds after he let escape this sentence: "We can not get on board because the ship its about sinking". And then: "We have left the ship." The officer of the Coast Guard, surprised, then asks: "Commander, you left the ship?". The commander portrayed: "No, no, i'd not at all abandoned ship."

The order of the Coast guard: "Come back on board"

At 1 .46 a call more agitated: the official of he Coast Guard gives order to the captain's. "Now you goes forward, take back biscaggina (the rope ladder of the ship, ed) and coordinates the evacuation. You will tells us how many people are still there: if there are children, women, and the exact number of passengers each of these categories. Go on board. What are you doing you are leaving therescue? ". Schettino: "No, no, I'm here, I'm coordinating relief efforts."

The officer of the coast guard begins: "Captain, is an order, now I'm in charge. You declared abandonment of the ship, so now you goes forward, goes back to the bridge of the ship and coordinate relief efforts. There are already dead people." Schettino: "How many?". The officer: "You must tell me if you wants to do something, you wants to go home? You now come back on board and tells us what can be done, how many people there are and what they need." Schettino back guarantees: "Okay, I'm going." According to the coast guard officer, however, he does not come back onboard anymore.

I'm sorry for my poor translation, i hope its at least understandable.

There has been many posting which I have found most interesting. I'd like to add to the forum some items that my wife and I take as our "emergency pack".

Ozcruiser,

That's a bloody good idea. Tell me, do you carry these at all times or is it your plan to retrieve them, from your cabin, should the unthinkable happen?

John

There has been many posting which I have found most interesting. I'd like to add to the forum some items that my wife and I take as our "emergency pack". I've attached I think two small photos showing clockwise: Quad band mobile (cell phone) with international sim; credit card;vital phone numbers; whistle; usb containing all vital details such as scans of passports, contact details, all in pdf form;small thumb flashlight;govt issued photo ID. All contained in a waterproof container. We keep this with us both onboard and when ashore. We each have one so that if we ever get separated from each other we can at least communicate by phone,(only ever had to use the phone once). We also have our "cruise card" on a lanyard plus a small flashlight attached. Many survivors spoke of being disorientated in the dark.

We also have a firm plan that if we are separated by an incident that we will not go looking for each other but take responsibility for our own safety and will meet at a pre arranged location,(usually the town post office.) We have always felt it was overkill but following this tragic event, our preparation would have come into play and perhaps helped.

If others have similar plans it may be a good time to share with others.

THANK YOU for this! I have been copying and pasting various ideas on this and have been keeping a log. We cruise a LOT and I think our family will adopt such a plan as well. Though my husband and I have a 6 yr old and struggle with how to handle. We just don't feel comfortable heading to the muster station and waiting for the young adults who work in the children's facilities to "bring him to the muster station", which is what they tell you to do. Nonetheless, we too, will have our own emergency plan in the future. I have had nightmares the last few nights trying to picture what happened to these people who ended up having to jump, why the two elderly gentlemen were still at their possible muster station, why the father and 5 yr old daughter didn't make it into a boat...It is all so terrifying. My heart is sick for all of them.

Archived