Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I’m no engineer but it would appear to me that a slight adjustment to the “bumper” to make it a heavy duty rubber roller would allow the life raft to “roll” down the side of a listing ship whilst being lowered. Rather than the problem of trying to overcome the friction/ inability to clear the side of the listing ship as has been indicated by recent events.

That makes way too much sense! Another great idea!

Our precaution is that we'll probably just avoid cruising for a while. If an Italian captain of an Italian cruise ship can't miss an island off the coast of Italy, then it doesn't do wonders for confidence in this form of travel. No doubt this too will pass but for now there are plenty of other ways to spend my holiday dollars.

Really? You have a much higher chance of being a car crash than a ship wreck... will that keep you from driving or riding in a car for a while? And, you also have a much higher chance of being in a plane crash than you do a ship wreck... will that keep you from flying for a while?

People are rediculous over this incident causing them to be afraid of cruising. I could (maybe) understand if it was something to do with the structure of the ship, or it just all of a sudden fell apart because of poor craftsmanship... but hello... it was caused by an ignorant captain. There are ignorant drivers all over the road.. but I bet people haven't thought about that.

Oz - the man's right --- get a patent on some version of what you've put together.

JJMaine -- your postings are thoughtful, useful. Your assessment of the captain's behavior seems spot on.

As for Costa and its holding company and share values, well I hear a lot from cruisers re continuing to cruise. I hear no one saying, "Oh sure, I'll sign on for a Costa cruise." The company will, I believe, incentivize for their primary (European) passenger pool and need to plow a ton of money into changing its image. (The Concordia on its side -- haunting, haunting.) At least in the short term the shareholders will speak.

For the industry - my conclusion is that this tragedy is a game changer.

Just responding to some of the posts from yesterday that discuss where to save your documents in case of need in a foreign place. Sorry for replying so late.

For those that choose to save your documents on your web email (Google, Yahoo, etc). I recommend compressing your document files to a self-extracting file. In doing so, add a password to your self-extracting file. Most if not all compression utilities such as WinZip has this feature. This will add some protection to your file.

When my husband listened to the conversation between the captain and coast guard he said the captain sounded like he was "high". Now, he hasn't been following the story at all like I have, but I found his comment interesting knowing that there were reports of him seen with this mystery woman having drinks in the dining room. The captain's voice leaves an impression of someone really relaxed and without knowing the context you'd think nothing's going wrong by the way he's speaking. :confused:

There's no gravity to the situation. Two times he said "buona sera" (good evening) to the commander...not saying he should've been rude, but come on, if you see that the ship is listing and you yourself abandoned it...how can you be so calm and friendly?! I would be shouting..."we need help" or something along these lines to show the severity of the situation. It's like he's not all there!

Did anyone else get this impression?

He didn't seem to be well trained on how to deal with a crisis or bad situation. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if we found out he was drunk/high.

Hey, Daveyjonesrugrat,

Could you send a link to the photos from your last cruises and also a couple from your present location. lol

Got some piccies here The first one is of the cruise director, lovely lass but not one to get on the wrong side off. Can send any of present location, im between hulls just now getting keel hauled lol.....

Oh but son-in-law is travel manager in Perth....

Just responding to some of the posts from yesterday that discuss where to save your documents in case of need in a foreign place. Sorry for replying so late.

For those that choose to post your documents on your web email (Google, Yahoo, etc). I would recommend compressing your document files to a self-extracted file. In doing so, add a password to your self-extracted file. Most if not all compression utilities such as WinZip has this feature. This will add some protection to your file.

Excellent. I knew that if a group of people put their collective minds together there would always be a beneficial outcome. I'll get on to that asap. Thanks

I guess the plot does "sicken":

A mystery woman was on the bridge alongside cowardly captain when his ship ran aground.

The blonde Moldovan woman is thought to be around 25 and has not been properly identified by investigators as she does not appear on any official passenger manifest. Now they say she may sneaked on with help?

Pretty sad to me.

We put our trust in the staff and crew-as well as our lives! I don't think I will ever glance at staff and crew and think they have everything under control. I will pay attention to all safety issues and I will remember that ultimately I am in control of my own care.:(

Sheesh. Look back one page. This is the Assistant Cruise Director speaking. Hardly a "Cruise Boss". There's another thread here also discussing this.

Get over yourself, people have started new threads on things I'd posted earlier, but I didn't have a go at them.

As for the title, I was quoting the Sky article, which you would have seen had you looked at it :rolleyes:

I guess the plot does "sicken":

A mystery woman was on the bridge alongside cowardly captain when his ship ran aground.

The blonde Moldovan woman is thought to be around 25 and has not been properly identified by investigators as she does not appear on any official passenger manifest. Now they say she may sneaked on with help?

Pretty sad to me.

We put our trust in the staff and crew-as well as our lives! I don't think I will ever glance at staff and crew and think they have everything under control. I will pay attention to all safety issues and I will remember that ultimately I am in control of my own care.:(

If he had anything to do with it I feel the wrath of his misses will be coming down on him now lol.......!!!

Sheesh. Look back one page. This is the Assistant Cruise Director speaking. Hardly a "Cruise Boss". There's another thread here also discussing this.
Now stand back at look at it in perspective....

She has written a damming statement criticising passengers who have just suffered a catestrophic incident, lives have been lost. She has done it after identifying herself as a cruise director for Costa cruises.

She has now brought the company into disrepute through her actions at a time when bad publicity is not needed.

No this person has committed a very silly act. She is a representative of 'Costa cruises'

There is no excuse

rgds

People are rediculous over this incident causing them to be afraid of cruising.

Agreed. I think people forget that well over 100 cruise ships depart almost ever week with a quarter million passengers, all safely. Over a year it's easily over 10 million passengers, all without incident. Cruise ships blanket the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Gulf of Mexico on any given winter week, all without running aground or into each other. I have a better chance of being struck by lightning while collecting my lottery winnings than being in a cruise ship disaster.

I have been following the news reports and some of the excellent graphics posted on this and other threads about this awful tragedy. One thing confuses me. The ship was heading roughly northwest to pass Giglio on its port side. It got too close to rocks and hit something on its starboard side? According to some survivors, the ship listed to port first. Then it continued on and eventually grounded and listed onto its starboard side, where there is apparently another breach underwater, from photographs posted on this thread. So, the ship is now grounded on its starboard side and is pointing at almost 180 degress to its original albeit wrong, course. How can the ship have turned to this angle before running aground? Was the captain/crew trying to dock in Giglio? Or were they trying to get into shallow water for evacuation? If the ship had not run aground, would the tragedy have been much worse or could more lifeboats have been launched? Did the action of grounding the ship save lives overall?

Get over yourself, people have started new threads on things I'd posted earlier, but I didn't have a go at them.

As for the title, I was quoting the Sky article, which you would have seen had you looked at it :rolleyes:

Of course I read it. The Sky article misidentifies an assistant cruise director as a cruise boss. If you had read this board, you'd have seen this discussed just one page ago AND in another thread.

Now stand back at look at it in perspective....

She has written a damming statement criticising passengers who have just suffered a catestrophic incident, lives have been lost. She has done it after identifying herself as a cruise director for Costa cruises.

She has now brought the company into disrepute through her actions at a time when bad publicity is not needed.

No this person has committed a very silly act. She is a representative of 'Costa cruises'

There is no excuse

rgds

She wrote something stupid. I don't see that she herself claimed to be a director. It's the media that called her a Cruise Boss. What she wrote slamming the customers is wrong. I only tried to explain why she might feel that way. You have to agree the media is taking her position out of proportion with her rank.

Rank in my view does not and should not come into it, he spoke as a representative of 'Costa' by identifying herself so thereby bringing the company in further disrepute.

rgds

She. And she posted something idiotic on the Internet. The media blew it up, calling her a Cruise Boss and now we're getting the torches!

Don't worry about facts!

Archived