Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Fox News Reporting (FNC) will have a special on Tradegy at Sea at 9 p.m. (CST) tonight.

The host of the show is Geraldo. Who knows what this will be like. Can't be any worse than the ABC report.

To my knowledge, FNC does not own any cruise ships. :rolleyes:

Geraldo is it? Now there's opening for me to tell another Al Capone Chicago story................:p

There were already news reports at the beginning that the captain emptied the safe before abandoning ship. (Don't know how accurate that was)

They're looking for incrimianting evidence. It could be half empty bottle of brandy but more likely incriminating documents written by the Captain (e.g. private logs or diaries which memorialize when, why, how and with whom he had done "wave bys' this time and in the past). It's standard investigative and prosecutorial procedure.

Inaccurate reporting, again. That news story references this one:

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16153662

It says that in one of his phone calls with Costa before the abandon ship, he said "I messed up. We have touched the bottom."

That's a bit different than what the fox story says.

I was trying to figure out how he was contacting Costa when he's on house arrest and not allowed to contact anyone.

Thanks for clarifying! Everyone wants to be the "first" in reporting the details..inaccurate as they may be. :rolleyes: Gotta love the digital age.

The initial reports (true or not) were that he emptied the safe of cash and took off. It could be that they want to verify this by looking to see if the safe is open and empty. That might lend some clues as to his state of mind which was more than likely in the flee mode.

They're looking for incrimianting evidence. It could be half empty bottle of brandy but more likely incriminating documents written by the Captain (e.g. private logs or diaries which memorialize when, why, how and with whom he had done "wave bys' this time and in the past). It's standard investigative and prosecutorial procedure.

For building and sailing your own boat, there is an excellent forum for you, I am very active on it but I won't break the rules here and post a link. I do wish for a PM function on this forum.

I have a grand list of sources, everything from steel to concrete, which ironically is what I have been working with for the last 17 years, my plant makes concrete septic tanks. Though my friends have convinced me to go steel.

I'm ducking out of this forum, best of luck to you. If I post anything it will be if some major event like the salvage process.

I usually hang out here

http://cx500forum.com/

I apologize if this is a "dumb" question, but I'm new at this. Does anyone think casualties were limited by the fact that a lot of people seemed to be traveling with others? From the news reports I've read or watched, a lot of people are safe because they remained a group throughout the mayhem. If people are looking after you, it makes a lot of sense that you would have a greater chance of getting out. Considering the chaos, it's great that so many were saved. I really hope the others are found soon.. I know the adage goes that there's safety in numbers, so I'm just curious. Are you just as safe traveling alone in general? Should you? Thanks.

Woah! The procecutors want them to empty the safe in the captain's cabin for documents that may help their case??

What could those possibly be?

The mind boggles! :eek:

Geraldo is it? Now there's opening for me to tell another Al Capone Chicago story................:p

Seems to me the story you are referring to involved a safe.

Unknown to me what they could find in his safe. IF he went to it trying to hide papers, charts, graphs, whatever, the black box should give officials any info they need.

IF he went to the safe, it could have been to retrieve his own personal belongings, ie: passport, credit cards, cash.

For those that have not cruised (we do have a few posting here) the Captain's suite is usually right outside or within one deck (directly below) the Bridge. I've never cruised on Costa so not sure of the exact location.

The area would be secured from general passengers and would consist of staterooms and small offices for the higher ranking officers. It can also contain a small kitchen and laundry area. The Captain's suite would consist of a large office space along with a living/dining room and bed/bath room.

This emergency has caused me to question whether the best person to run an emergency is the person who caused the emergency in the first place. It would be like asking the county EMS administrator to coordinate the disaster when he threw a cigarette out the window and caught the whole county on fire.

I dunno....just something I'm thinking about....

Maybe this would be best answered by someone who was actually there but all the reports and interviews I have read and heard point to the opposite.

It seems that there was an every man for himself attitude. People were grabbing life vests out of other people's hands tearing them apart and pushing, shoving, screaming, jumping into already overcrowded life boats on top of people. It sounds like it was total chaos and anarchy - surprising so many survived. Still 12 dead and about 20 missing is still too many. I wonder if all lives could have been saved by evacuating everyone an hour earlier instead of stalling and ordering people back to their cabins.

I apologize if this is a "dumb" question, but I'm new at this. Does anyone think casualties were limited by the fact that a lot of people seemed to be traveling with others? From the news reports I've read or watched, a lot of people are safe because they remained a group throughout the mayhem. If people are looking after you, it makes a lot of sense that you would have a greater chance of getting out. Considering the chaos, it's great that so many were saved. I really hope the others are found soon.. I know the adage goes that there's safety in numbers, so I'm just curious. Are you just as safe traveling alone in general? Should you? Thanks.

Woah! The procecutors want them to empty the safe in the captain's cabin for documents that may help their case??

What could those possibly be?

The mind boggles! :eek:

Why don't they just ask the captain's blonde female traveling companion for the room key card she's carrying in order to access the captain's cabin.

;)

Quick snap of Captain Schettino doing what one of his colleagues stated he did well and that was 'drive the ship like a ferrari'.

We were moored in Tunis when his ship entered the dock, did a 360 degree turn and slotted in behind us smooth as silk....clearly nothing the matter with his navigation back then.

Gutted to see this beautiful ship wrecked.

100_1691.jpg

This emergency has caused me to question whether the best person to run an emergency is the person who caused the emergency in the first place.

Exactly, this is why I feel the Coast Guard commander ordering the captain to get back onboard for over an hour is like beating a dead horse. I understand the captain's responsibilities and all that.

I have a really stupid question, but it's been haunting me since this whole thing began. On such a large ship, with so many souls on board, is there adequate standing room on the decks for all the people? I mean on the open air decks. It seems the return to your cabin (perhaps 5 or 6 decks down) was almost an invitation to die. Many of the pictures I see seem to be of people in lifejackets waiting below deck for something...as I recall all my lifeboat drills have been on the open deck. I know that if I am on a boat of any size and there is a problem the worst place to be is below.

There is room for all the people. I would not go as far as to claim it is "adequate" room ...

This is the Carnival Victory ...

SSIMG-0003.jpg

This is from the Freedom of the Seas ...

FOS.jpg

Carnival Glory ...

CarnivalGlory-1.jpg

Voyager of the Seas ...

VOS.jpg

NCL Star ...

NCLStar.jpg

Correct - all the waivers in the world do not waive your right to sue. Whether you prevail or not is another matter. I suspect most, if not all, judges would allow a case to be heard if gross negligence is involved.

Sometimes the courts honor the waivers - sometimes they do not.

Is it possible the captain was trying to first and foremost save the ship? When the Concordia was safely lodged against the rocks did he believe that was the end of his duty as Captain thus abandoning ship? IMHO this would explain his actions. :confused:

The captain's duty ends when EVERYONE is safe on shore.

As a single cruiser I have always felt safe on a ship. Let me clarify tho that I have never been in a position such as this. I've been in rough seas many times and had one cruise that had a small fire in a stateroom (started by an improperly stored hair straightener) that ended up damaging 7 staterooms. Except for the main stateroom, the others all received water damage.

Have also been evac'd from an out island when a weather system made a sharp turn and quickly headed in our direction. Where we tendered to the island, lifeboats were sent to retrieve us. That was one heck of a bouncey ride back to the ship. I stayed back allowing families to go ahead of me as many children were scared, making them wait would have intensified their anxiety.

It did teach me that lifeboats can handle some extreme wave conditions.

After having found this site and participating in the Roll Calls, even if I am traveling alone, I don't feel alone when I board a ship. You can get to know your fellow cruisers quite well as you make plans for excursions and just chat with them online.

I keep reading that the captain was steering "by sight". That doesn't make any sense ... it was already dark.

That does not mean there was no light at all. I've walk around in woods and open country at night without the use of a flashlight.

Quick snap of Captain Schettino doing what one of his colleagues stated he did well and that was 'drive the ship like a ferrari'.

We were moored in Tunis when his ship entered the dock, did a 360 degree turn and slotted in behind us smooth as silk....clearly nothing the matter with his navigation back then.

Gutted to see this beautiful ship wrecked.

Some credit needs to go to the pilot for that parking job.

Maybe this would be best answered by someone who was actually there but all the reports and interviews I have read and heard point to the opposite.

It seems that there was an every man for himself attitude. People were grabbing life vests out of other people's hands tearing them apart and pushing, shoving, screaming, jumping into already overcrowded life boats on top of people. It sounds like it was total chaos and anarchy - surprising so many survived. Still 12 dead and about 20 missing is still too many. I wonder if all lives could have been saved by evacuating everyone an hour earlier instead of stalling and ordering people back to their cabins.

Not to offer any excuses for the crew, but they could have perversely withheld the information to evacuate in order to not panic the passengers. Of course, that didn't work, and by that time, panic had already set in. There are people who would have panicked nevertheless in a crisis, but, IMO, things would have been a lot smoother if everyone kept their wits about them. The "fight or flight response" kicks rationality out the door, unfortunately. It's definitely a lot easier to speculate on our own actions, but it's never going to be precise because we weren't there. Everyone feared for their lives, and people did anything to save themselves. In hindsight, I think everyone wanted the situation to be calm and orderly, but if you think you're going to die, everything becomes so unpredictable. I hope I would be the type to go out and rescue others before saving myself, but I'm not so sure because I know I get stressed out in emergency situations.

Archived