Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Google Search found this:

BOSSES of the capsized Costa Concordia blamed a previous accident with a sister ship on a collision with a WHALE.

A former crew member on the Costa Fortuna said the vessel appeared to hit rocks after nearing the coast at Sorrento in Italy in May 2005....... There is more here

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4081095/Costa-Concordia-bosses-blamed-previous-accident-of-Costa-Fortuna-in-2005-on-crash-with-whale.html

Do not know whether it is a cover up or not.... but

Joanie

I don't know, it is the sun magazine and only the word of one crew member. Now if other crew members come forward or passengers collaborate the story then that def. points to a big problem that didn't just start last week. :(

OK, For the record, because there seems to be so much confusion as to Capt Bisio's title and when he boarded, he is listed as a Staff Capt on the Concordia cruise 12/21-12/30 under Capt Schettino. It seems to me, he was always assigned to the ship and was not the Serena Capt he was reported to be;

Thanks! Very useful!

Don't know if this helps the people who trying to determine if Bosio was off duty but on staff of Concordia or the actual Commander of the Serena but this video from October 2011 appears to show the whole bridge crew of Costa Serena, didn't see Bosio in them but I did see alot of well.... distractions..

Did any one else get a E-mail from Celebrity Cruise Line about Costa Concorida and safety of Celebrity"s cruise ships ?

I received one from Celebrity about to hours after the I received one from Adam Goldstein from RCCL.

Today I reviewed all of my Costa "Today"s daily newsletters and there he is. Also, interestingly enough, we got navigational highlights daily in and out of port. For Civi, not a word is mentioned about Giglio. Just mentions Argentario, passing Gianuturri lighthouse at 9:30 pm (Gigilo?) and then Head of Man and Lily Head, the Formic Islands and finally, the islands of Elbo

FWIW, the Italian word for "lily" is "giglio."

I have not received any e-mails from Carnival (several cruises - including two in 2011), Royal Caribbean (several cruises - including two currently booked), Princess (one cruise plus one currently booked) or NCL (two cruises - last in 2008).

Julie

I can't wait for the movie.

Leonard DeCaprio is perfect for the role of Captain in age and ethnicity. He also has prior experience on cruise ship disaster movies.

Any other ideas on casting?

Would Rose Butaker (Kate Winslet) accept the 30% off discount after being scared out of her gourd? I don't think so!

She would expect more from a mulit-million dollar firm.

What happens to the jewels that are locked in the safes?

Royal's Email

Dear Kenneth,

All of us at Royal Caribbean International continue to extend our heartfelt sympathies to those affected by Carnival Corporation's recent tragic incident on the Costa Concordia. As a Crown & Anchor Society member and loyal Royal Caribbean guest, we know you may have some questions as the situation continues to unfold.

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority. It is fundamental to our operations. Our maritime safety record over our 42-year history illustrates our commitment to the safety of the millions of guests and crew that sail on our ships. The measures we take in the interest of safety are many, often exceeding the regulatory requirements – these are all part of our ongoing commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in every aspect of our business.

To address some of your questions and concerns, here is a video that will provide an overview of safety onboard our ships; the training of our crew, officers and captains; and the many regulations that govern our practices. Click Here to watch.

As a past cruiser, we know your friends and family may be asking about your own time at sea. We hope that you'll share this video along with your personal Royal Caribbean experiences with them, and reinforce that cruising continues to maintain the best safety record of any industry in travel.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you aboard again soon on one of our ships sailing to 270 destinations worldwide.

Sincerely,

Adam Goldstein

President and CEO

Royal Caribbean International

Celebrity's E-mail

Dear Kenneth,

Like you, all of us at Celebrity Cruises, both shipboard and shoreside, are deeply saddened by the events surrounding the tragic Costa Concordia accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the incident.

I debated about writing to you, as I wanted to be respectful of the investigation process and avoid adding to the speculation as to the cause or related failures. However, the concerns that have been raised about the safety of cruise ships compelled me to take the opportunity to share what an intense focus we have always placed on safety, and how rigorously we put that focus into practice every day.

Since Celebrity Cruises’ founding more than 20 years ago, the safety of our guests and crew has always been our highest priority. The measures we take in the interest of safety are many, often exceeding regulatory requirements. It’s a critical part of our ongoing commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in every aspect of our business.

Our guests see just a portion of our safety practices through the mandatory muster drills we conduct at the outset of every sailing. But our safety practices encompass so much more. In light of the Costa Concordia accident, we chose to post a summary of our safety practices on our web site. Simply go to, http://www.CelebrityCruises.com/Safety, and click on the tab labeled "Safety and Security". I encourage you to take a look, and to share the information with your family and friends.

Above and beyond what we’ve communicated there, you also may be interested to know that the leader of Celebrity Cruises’ Captains is a highly experienced former officer in the U.S. Coast Guard, Greg Purdy. As the head of our Marine Operations Department, Greg’s highest priority is to guide and monitor the safety of our fleet. His own experience at sea, including serving as Captain of a Coast Guard vessel, combined with his depth of knowledge of cruise ship safety, ensures that he and the entire Celebrity Marine team continue to build on our strong safety culture.

Our Captains across the Celebrity fleet hold degrees from some of the world’s finest maritime institutions. You also may be surprised to know that, along with the Captain, every one of our ships has at least two other officers who hold the level of license required to serve as Captain of a cruise ship. Essentially, we have three people onboard every Celebrity ship who qualify as a Captain.

On average, each of Celebrity Cruises’ Captains has 25 years of seagoing experience. Besides the training and drills we conduct onboard, our Captains and their bridge teams also participate in navigation simulator courses and other training. One of the cornerstones of our training is that everyone is expected to speak up if they detect something wrong, regardless of their rank. Our shipboard officers and our shoreside team spend a considerable amount of time focused on how we can continually improve our safety procedures.

Along with our vast in-house expertise, we also rely on a group of experts known as our Maritime Safety Advisory Board. The group was established in 2006 to help guide our safety program and provide critical thinking from the world’s leading marine safety experts. The group includes former senior officials from the US and UK Coast Guards, as well as leadership from the academic world.

Our Chairman Richard Fain has said there’s no such thing as perfect safety, but there is such a thing as perfect dedication to safety. And that’s what we strive for daily.

Whether you’re a longtime cruiser, or have yet to sail with Celebrity, I hope you’ll help us reinforce the fact that cruising continues to maintain the best safety record of any industry in the travel business.

Our highly skilled and dedicated crew members look forward to welcoming you onboard soon to provide you with an outstanding vacation experience. Meanwhile, I thank you for your continued support of our brand and our business.

Sincerely,

Dan Hanrahan President & CEO

jpeg An oil recovery technician stands on a sea platform carrying heavy block of cement near the Tuscan island of Giglio, Italy, where the cruise ship Costa Concordia run aground, Monday, Jan. 23, 2012. Italian officials were clearing hurdles Monday to begin pumping some half a million gallons of fuel from the capsized Costa Concordia that threaten an environmental catastrophe, as divers continued the search for 19 people known missing. (AP Photo/Pier Paolo Cito)

Five miles of oil barriers have been laid to protect marine life and the pristine waters, which are prime fishing grounds and a protected area for dolphins and whales.

Recovery experts from the Dutch salvage company Smit have said they will create holes in the top and the bottom of each tank, heating the fuel so it flows more easily and pumping from the top while forcing air in from the bottom. For the underwater tanks, sea water will be used to displace the fuel, which becomes thick and gooey when cooled.

Besides some 2,200 metric tons of heavy fuel oil, there are 185 metric tons of diesel and lubricants on board, as well as chemicals including cleaning products and chlorine. Some diesel and lubricants have leaked into the water near the ship, probably from machinery on board, officials have said.

“Smit has been ready for a week to begin pumping fuel from the tanks, awaiting only the go-ahead,” said a company statement. “For this purpose, Smit has mobilized an oil tanker with emergency response equipment, including sweeping arms, booms and a skimmer.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/world/10181857-418/2-more-bodies-found-fuel-removal-to-begin-on-capsized-cruise-ship.html

Just mentions Argentario, passing Gianuturri lighthouse...

Giannutri (Punta Rossa, Capel Rosso) 1883. Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story keeper's house. Both tower and house are painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern dome is gray metallic.

Giannutri is a small island about 10 km (6 mi) south of the Monte Argentario peninsula and the same distance southeast of Giglio. The island is accessible by ferries from Porto Santo Stefano on Monte Argentario. The lighthouse is said to have been built in 1861, but it stood inactive for many years.

Located on Punta Rossa, the south point of the island. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parco ****onale Arcipelago Toscano. ARLHS ITA-209; Admiralty E1496; NGA 9108.

The Italian word for a lighthouse is faro, plural fari. This name is usually reserved for the larger coastal lights; smaller beacons are called fanali. Aids to navigation are operated and maintained by the Italian Navy's Servizio dei Fari. Lighthouse properties are naval reservations, generally fenced and closed to the public.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

Source

Julie

I can't wait for the movie.

Leonard DeCaprio is perfect for the role of Captain in age and ethnicity. He also has prior experience on cruise ship disaster movies.

Any other ideas on casting?

Throw a blonde wig on Angelina Jolie ( she has pulled off the husband stealing seductress well before).

Tom Selleck could play an investigator and throw the bad guy(s) in jail.

Sean Penn could play the sleazy liberal journalist whose job it is to twist and distort every FACT to make it look bad for those Rascally Capitalist owners, stockholders, and operators of the ship.:rolleyes:

Someone mentioned this in the thread about disabled people on a cruise during an emergency, what happens to the people stuck in the elevators when the power goes out? Imagine being in the elevator and the power goes out plus the ship lists 20 degrees or more. Are there backup generators to get the elevators open and evacuated on cruise ships?

This is a snippet from a fascinating series of videos taken by a Concordia passenger.

At thirty seconds in, as the passenger is in the lifeboat, you can see other lifeboats being lowered in the background. Chilling.

And when he gets to shore, in the next video, I can't help but wonder why there are so many lifeboats stacked up at the dock. At least one is idling.

Why didn't they go back to get more passengers?

Cruise industry experts: Is it SOP for the crew to stay with the passengers after the lifeboat has been unloaded? Or did the crew just decide that they had enough risk for one day?

I just watched an interview with a couple from my home town in San Diego who were on the Concordia. They said that they immediately knew that something was very wrong and headed to the lifeboats after going to get their life jackets.

They said the crew was clueless, even as the ship was listing heavily. The man in the interview opened the door to the lifeboat and started piling people in. 2 crew members came to him and started yelling at him to GET OUT and forced everyone back on the ship. They crew members stood at the lifeboat gates and blocked people from getting into any of the boats.

It wasn't until some 30 minutes later that they allowed these poor people to get on the lifeboat and start evacuating, and that was because the ship was listing more and more as time went on and it was almost capsized!!! I could NOT believe it. The man and woman had a video of all of this captured on their camcorder. He said it was a "miracle" that they were able to evacuate anyone at all because the crew were literally BLOCKING people. Incredible!

I really, really hope that cruise lines look at all these interviews and home video footage to identify these types of problems. Granted the crew had no direction from the captain until the very end, BUT people have got to be able to use their heads and common sense. Then the ship is listing and almost capsized, it is NOT an electrical problem!

I am furious after listening to this interview and watching this couple's home made video!

Katherine

Sorry if this has been previously posted, there have been so many previous ones.....

report advising of this event years ago and nothing was done, just criminal...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/9030330/The-EU-ignored-years-of-expert-warnings-on-cruise-ship-safety.html

rgds

:)

Archived