So, After This, Muster Drills?????

kitty9

Out ovf about 4200 passengers and crew, there were 126 US citizens and 37 British on board [including 12 crew members]. Even with some other English speaking nationalities, English speakers were a very small minority. Please explain why the crew should speak English.

Sue

I didn't say the crew should speak English. I said "AND the crew did not speak English." If you go on a European cruise, you should expect little English to be spoken on board. What I meant is that it was unfortunate that little English was spoken to Americans or British who never expected to find themselves in a life or death emergency.

You had to get me stated........That's because people DID NOT LISTEN and took their life jackets off before they got back to their staterooms. They always announced to leave them on, but no people had to take them off and therefore the straps were always dragging behind them creating problems.

This used to be one of my pet peeves and anyone seen by me taking off their life vest was sternly reminded, "You were instructed to leave that on until you return to your stateroom!" I even witnessed an elevator jam one time because someone's dragging life vest belts got caught in the closing door.

Unfortunately, muster drills would have had no effect on this tragedy. The only value would be to know where the lifeboats are....but now that muster drills no longer take you outside to the lifeboats, I bet most still have no idea where they are after going to the lifeboat drill. Sitting in the theater...where do you go for the lifeboats??? They say...we'll lead you to the lifeboats if needed. On paper that sounds great...in the reality of a ship listing to one side, dark coridors with water and noise....one would hardly try to get to their muster station. You and I would head for the deck where we could board lifeboats.....and if you disagree, look at yourself in the mirror before you claim to be the prefect passenger.

Perhaps the most useful part of the muster drills WAS actually putting on a lifejacket...but that's no longer needed because it's "inconvenient".

I think you're correct in that actually doning a life vest was an extremely valuable quotient of the old procedures. I was exceedingly dismayed when that practice ended. In an actual emergency everyone will bear much personal responsibility. Unfamiliarity with life vest location or life vest use will cost critical moments. An improperly worn vest in water situations would even be virtually useless. And if there isn't time to return to one's stateroom to retrieve a life vest, being handed one by a crew member would cost even more critical time to expect the crew member to help the passenger into their vest.

Regardless of the change in muster drill procedures, it has always been my impression that in an emergency I am to go to my cabin, dress in warm clothing, gather my medications (if any) and my lifejacket and meet at my muster station. Once there, multiple staff members will be on hand to direct me and others in an orderly fashion to evacuation.

It's also my impression that there is no particular assignment of lifeboats and that they are loaded as appropriate to the situation.

The muster drills of late have been kind of "dumbed down," and I would absolutely welcome a return to the more comprehensive drills that include instruction in putting on the jacket, actually putting on the jacket and then actually walking out on deck.

Here, here!! And even though emergency situations could arise where those stations are rendered useless, at the very least it solidifies in the mind the life-threatening seriousness of knowing how to properly wear a life vest and to move [at some point] to an outer deck.

We are all stirred with myriad emotions seeing the reports of this horrific event. Certainly, the majority of us on these boards can with poignant, ghastly realization know that at any moment it could be ourselves faced with such impending doom.

As we read and listen to the growing volumes of information coming across regarding the tragedy, it's quite natural that all of us will engage in a bit of editorializing and commentary. It helps us deal with our own emotions.

Count me, obviously, among those who advocate for a very serious and somewhat regimented SOLAS drill. While Uktog makes valid points about information retention, I heartily agree with his posted old adage and will always believe that participation helps.

In the Costa situation, my heart goes out to all involved. And, like others who've posted, I ache for the two elderly gentlemen who were found wearing their life vests and seeminly waiting near their muster station for further instructions. We may never know why they didn't make some attempt to get to an outer deck.

Accidents will happen. But may it be eons before anyone is again faced with the sinking of another ship.

CM

I haven't read the entire thread and have only been on one cruise but the one change I would recommend would be that the muster drill first cover how to get to your assigned station IF you are in or near your cabin or on that side of the ship (i.e. forward if your cabin is forward etc.) and where to find the ALTERNATE muster station if you are no where near your cabin i.e. the MDR, theater, pool, etc. If a backup plan is covered and there is the occasional sign that says ALTERNATE muster station that might help. Panic is always going to be a factor but having a secondary plan might reduce it somewhat.

I got to disagree with some posters who lament about the hopelessness and uselessness of the drills. If the ill fated Apollo 13 Astronauts and Mission Control reacted or trained that way maybe the capsule might have never made it back! If you are too young or don't know what I am talking about, see the movie rendition.

If the pax are physically sent to the stations, the majority will remember unless they are already intoxicated. If this earlier process saves one life, its worth it.

I for one am going to write to Dan Haranhan and impress the importance of reviewing the new system. Celebrity listens. I encourage others to do the same.

I put the current training system out of sight and out of mind as I cruised on the Eclipse, but recent tragedy makes it real.

Remember the prior" on the deck training process" and probably the ones prior were the result of lessons learned from earlier disasters, so there is lot we can learn from the past, and present.

Archived