Can you drink anywhere on the ship?

discocherry

I saw a recommended packing list here that included flasks for sneaking on alcohol and sports bottles for taking your drinks with you... got me wondering, is that just to save $/bring your own preferred alcohol, or are there places on the ship you can't take drinks unless you're hiding your own?

You can take your drink pretty much anywhere on the ship.

I saw a recommended packing list here that included flasks for sneaking on alcohol and sports bottles for taking your drinks with you... got me wondering, is that just to save $/bring your own preferred alcohol, or are there places on the ship you can't take drinks unless you're hiding your own?

The answer is yes to save money, since alcohol is expensive on these ships

You can drink practically anywhere on most cruise ships. The only reason one would bring a flask or sports bottle on a ship would be to save money by sneaking alcohol onboard -- cruise lines generally do not allow passengers to bring their own alcoholic beverages on to the ship.

Personally, I have only seen this happen on a ship once -- it was a group of twenty-something college kids who somehow got a bottle of their own alcohol onto the ship. They appeared to have emptied the alcohol into sports bottles, then made their own drinks with sodas they purchased from the wait staff on the pool deck. (They attempted to keep this activity under wraps, of course, but I was close enough to the group to see what they were actually doing.)

I'd guess if you're wondering so much about "sneaking" alchohol around the ship, that perhaps you need to ask yourself, why you have to do that.

Folks smuggle alcohol on board to avoid a bar bill. Drinks on board are no more expensive than the local chain restaurant but I suppose it adds up over a week in the minds of some. The problem some have with the cost of drinks is they are comparing them to the retail cost of drinking in their own back yards, it seems, or at some local hole in he wall restaurant that has $4 well drinks. Drinks on most ships are cheaper than any hotel bar I have been to.

I'd guess if you're wondering so much about "sneaking" alchohol around the ship, that perhaps you need to ask yourself, why you have to do that.

Seems to me it's pretty clear what the OP is asking for. Judgment isn't necessary, just answers, which the OP has received.

OP I see from another thread you are on the big Atlantis cruise. We have friends who have done this and you should be aware that they seem to scan the luggage for that one within in an inch of its life. I didn't take from your OP that you actually planned to bring anything on so I'm just posting this for others who mIght be reading.

the appropriate thing is to limit consumption to your cabin or balcony and buy drinks elsewhere. Since you don't bring drinks into a restaurant the same should apply on a ship. If you decide to bring some with you, pack it in your checked luggage unless you are on NCL or Royal where they check for it. No problem on HAL or Princess.

When you buy a drink on the ship you get .... good service, nice people, maybe nuts or snack things AND music and meet other people .... why would you want to smuggle it on and sit on your own.

And most likely a lower cruise fare. If everyone brought their own alcohol it would be less income for the ship which they'd make up with higher fares, or nickle and diming you to death.

Oceania allows you to bring wine on-board. Officially you will read they do not, but people say they have brought a case which is promptly delivered to their cabin! The official policy is to discourage abuse of alcohol. It is for consumption in your own cabin, but you may bring your own wine to dinner and there is a $20 corkage fee.

While mainly sailing Princess & RCCL for the past 13 years, I always have ordered a litre bottle, or two, for variety, as soon as arriving to my cabin from Room Service, also mixers. (no suite required, in the past). It is reasonably inexpensive, (compared to buying each drink individually), stress free, legal, and the cocktails begin in the cabin or transferred to a sports bottle for the pool, etc., but not for the MDR. I make sure not to order more than we can casually consume, so not to have to pour any out before disembarking. I heard some cruise lines were eliminating liquor by the bottle from room service, but, will find out on NCL this coming week.

While mainly sailing Princess & RCCL for the past 13 years, I always have ordered a litre bottle, or two, for variety, as soon as arriving to my cabin from Room Service, also mixers. (no suite required, in the past). It is reasonably inexpensive, (compared to buying each drink individually), stress free, legal, and the cocktails begin in the cabin or transferred to a sports bottle for the pool, etc., but not for the MDR. I make sure not to order more than we can casually consume, so not to have to pour any out before disembarking. I heard some cruise lines were eliminating liquor by the bottle from room service, but, will find out on NCL this coming week.

I didn't even know this was possible! I knew you could do wine but not liquor. I will have to consider this, our bar bill is usually pretty high! :)

If you sail on HAL (our preferred line) you are allowed to bring as much wine and Champagne on boards as you wish (on our recent cruise we brought 3 bottles from our pre-cruise vacation in Bordeaux.) We also usually order the bar service (litre of gin and mix) which is VERY reasonably priced as we like to have a cocktail while getting dressed. We almost always have a cocktail in a lounge every night and wine with dinner - neither of which comes from our room.

IMO - while we consider it quite acceptable to take a room cocktail or wine to the promenade deck to watch the sun set , etc it is not appropriate to bring 'room booze' into lounges or dinner (though sadly I have seen it done time and time again.)

You can't order from room service on NCL to my knowledge. You can order by calling 1.800.327.7030 I'm not sure how far in advance you have to order, but I remember it being something like 2 weeks. Many people on the NCL boards have stated that the regular customer service people have told them this is not possible at all, but this doesn't seem to be true. More info at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523677

Archived