Cozumel Mexican Cuisine Workshop & Tasting

We've been to Cozumel several times, and will get to visit again during an April cruise on the Jewel--and are looking for something a little different. The Mexican Cuisine Workshop excursion sounds fun--we love Mexican food and cooking! Has anyone experienced this excursion recently?

Would be especially interested in the menu, how much time after cooking is available for the beach, and whether the program will be fun for our 16 year old son who LOVES to cook?

Appreciate any advice and recommendations!

Thanks

We've been to Cozumel several times, and will get to visit again during an April cruise on the Jewel--and are looking for something a little different. The Mexican Cuisine Workshop excursion sounds fun--we love Mexican food and cooking! Has anyone experienced this excursion recently?

Would be especially interested in the menu, how much time after cooking is available for the beach, and whether the program will be fun for our 16 year old son who LOVES to cook?

Appreciate any advice and recommendations!

Thanks

Good news and bad news here I am afraid.

The good news is that the tour is indeed great fun and good times.

We were on the tour while stopped in Cozumel with the Freedom last month.

We are doing a repeat of this tour for our Jewel cruise leaving on Saturday

and really looking forward to it again. :)

The bad news is that due to the unlimited free flowing margaritas, rum punches, and

beer.....you must be over 18 to participate on this tour.

Sorry. :(

Thank you for your reply island lady!

Most of the older posts on this excursion highlighted the "adult beverage" factor--that prompted my question. The Shore Excursion guide lists a minimum age of 14 and states the age requirement for alcohol, but I wasn't sure the program would be a good fit for a teen.

From reading the description, the Salsa making excursion sounds much the same--lots of fun, and with a fun focus on margaritas!

Has anyone tried either excursion with teens?

Thanks

My son and I did this last year and he was 15. We both enjoyed this excursion and I can only speak for the group I was in but no one was "wild and crazy." The staff was professional and there was plenty of time to swim afterward. There were several teenagers in the class.

I believe you have to be 18 to drink alcoholic beverages but they have others drinks as well for teens and adults who do not drink. As I said earlier we really enjoyed it. I had fish but my son did not want fish so he was able to cook chicken. I can say that the food was very good. If your son enjoys cooking he will probably enjoy this excursion. My son does not enjoy cooking but he is taking Spanish so we thought this would be fun and it was.

I was looking at this a couple years ago....I ended up at Playa Mia anyway and took a look in as I was curious and wondered what the menu was like.....the day I looked in rabbit was one of the dishes:eek:

Are you sure that someone wasn't pulling your leg? Luis often tells the participants that they will be cooking iguana.

:D

btw, I love rabbit. ;)

Not sure if the 16 y.o. can participate but I have done this one and it was a great time. No one got too crazy but I suppose that depends largely on the group you happen to be with. As for the menu, it was a delicious fish for the main course but there was an alternate for those who found that unappealing. It happened to rain when I was there so I took a taxi into town with some unbelievably great people I met there and did a little shopping. I do believe, though, that there would have been ample beach time.

I did the "Salsa, Salsa & Margaritas" excursion ($88) last Saturday and it was fun. There were several non-drinkers in the group and they were offered hibiscus tea and water. No one got drunk, - well, if they did, they hid it well!

The tour description states that the legal drinking age is 21, but it does not specify a minimum age to participate. I suggest you go to their website (3w dot salsaandsalsa dot com) and send them a message.

Liz

We did this class in 2007.........so not sure if the menu is the same,but here is what we made.........BTW-------we had a blast.....one of my top 3 excursions......Our CC roll call booked it out so we all knew each other............men as well as women had such a good time..

2518486740042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

We have done the Mexican Cuisine thing twice, most recently a couple of weeks ago, with our nieces ages 19 and 20.

We really had fun, and would go again some day.

Luis is a great entertainer and facilitator, in addition to his cooking skills. His staff makes sure you have everything you need both for cooking and re: libations, which include soft drinks if you wish. (We did not see anyone get out of hand with the drinking, though!)

This time, our beach time was before the cooking part, as they were finishing up the earlier session. If possible, I'd try to do the cooking part first, as lunch was later than we'd anticipated. But I guess it's up to the cruiseline which time slot you get? It might be worth asking about.

Btw, the drinking age in Mexico is 18, though on the ship it is 21.

I would recommend this excursion. It is very well-organized and a decent value for $ paid. (This coming from someone who usually books independently ...)

Jan

We did this class in 2007.........so not sure if the menu is the same,but here is what we made.........BTW-------we had a blast.....one of my top 3 excursions......Our CC roll call booked it out so we all knew each other............men as well as women had such a good time..

2518486740042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Kathy!

Yes, that menu was close to what we did last month, but not the same, which is

nice when they change it out for variety. We loved this class!!

Choice of fish filet or chicken. He told us the fish was Grouper, but it was a really

skinny filet...so thinking more like Tilapia or something. He winked when I mentioned this and told me it was "starving Mexican Grouper". :D

Sauce topping was a sweet Tamerind with assorted chopped veggies.

Was too sweet for us, so this time we will not use so much.

Looking foward to this again this Monday! :)

Archived