Carnval stock down big time

two4me

Wow! Now would be a GREAT time to buy!

Exactly, wait till early afternoon after the big sell off slows/passes and pick it up at the beginning of an upslope on the day. Sell before the closing bell and you might make 10% today!

...ohh, the possibilites

Costa Concordia was about 1.5% of Carnival's Capacity. So that is a loss. Then you have to add the income lost from customers who will be influenced enough not to cruise, or at least not to cruise with on a Carnival Line. This may be another couple percentage points. So anything more than around a 5% drop I think should be gained back pretty quick.

Not being a pro when it comes to trading but I'd offer some things to think about. 1. Right now people do have concerns about so called greedy companies making lots of profit (not that profit is bad thing) 2. Carnivals lack of response and action since this has happened.

Just a guess on my part but Carnivals woes have not yet begun. The longer they don't step up to the plate the worse it will become.

BP may not have drilled the well but they were involved with the tragedy.

I'd look else where's to put my money for a while.

I know you get a discount for cruises if you have 100 shares of Carnival stock, but I can't find how much of a discount. Anyone know?

You get onboard credit and it depends on the length of the cruise:

$250 14 day or longer

$100 7-13 days

$50 6 days or less

You need to own 100 shares to get this. Right now the stock is about $34, so about a $3400 purchase to get the onboard credit. For most who don't cruise multiple times a year it's not really worth it. If your play the market there are lots of other stocks out there that are much more profitable, especially now.

Not being a pro when it comes to trading but I'd offer some things to think about. 1. Right now people do have concerns about so called greedy companies making lots of profit (not that profit is bad thing) 2. Carnivals lack of response and action since this has happened.

Just a guess on my part but Carnivals woes have not yet begun. The longer they don't step up to the plate the worse it will become.

1. Not real stockholders, that's why they buy them, particularly holders of a large amounts of stock such as insurance and pension funds and other institutional investors who over the long haul have the biggest influence on the price of stock. The price of the stock might be dropping, but what are the volumes if small, it is just the little guy panicking and the price will stabilize. If you see a price drop with a corresponding high volume then there is real trouble.

2. What lack of response????

CCL 34.28 -0.86 (-2.45%)

RCL 28.75 -0.77 (-2.61%)

Percentage wise Royal is taking a bigger hit.

Those are numbers from US market close last week. US markets are closed today for Martin Luther King Day, you need to go to the link I posted for the London exchange.

Is it possible some of the price drop is related to the S&P downgrade?

Wall Street Journal: S&P cut the debt ratings of France and Austria by one notch to AA+ from triple A and downgraded seven other countries, including Italy, Spain and Portugal, whose ratings were cut by one notch.

What do you think Carnival should do that they haven't at this point? It's only a little over 48 hours since the tragedy and they are still searching the ship for survivors. Carnival stock; Most novices buy on good news and sell on bad news. IMO if you buy when the price settles you'll be making a good investment. Most people think that things loke that only happen to the other guy and besides most hard core cruisers will be looking for bagains on cruises, not land based vacations. Long term cruise stocks will make you money. I'm holding my Carnival and may add some. I did get lucky Friday when I sold RCCL at a nice profit. Lastly Carnival carries insurance so the financial hit will be softened...Prayers and best wishes to those affected.

how do these numbers relate to ours? or they dont?

maybe I should brush up on stocks101! :)

Don't worry a lot of people don't know this. It doesn't happen very often but Carnival is one of a few companies that are what they call "Dual Listed" - which means they have a presence on two stock exchanges. For Carnival it is CCL.L on the London Exchange and CCL on the NY Stock Exchange. This happens when two corporations act as one business with typically one board of directors, but retain separate legal identities and stock exchange listings. I actually couldn't tell you the specifics of how Carnival is organized but they do trade on both exchanges and you will see that both stocks will typically move almost in unison percentage wise each day.

Expect the US market to closely match the percentage changes shown in London when the market in the US opens tomorrow after the holiday.

Yeah? I purchased BP in the mid 20's and have made a killing......what's your point?;)

Wow, I sold 600 of my 700 shares I paid $40 for at $32 the day Carnival missed earnings a week or so ago and took down earnings going forward. I think it was terrible news they missed their numbers, but the dividend saved them.

I hated taking $8 X 600 shares loss .. but right now Im glad I did.

I might add that it has since bounced during the santa claus rally, so its not a great buy at 6% down, after it bounced half that after missing numbers... at 28 I would not rush in .. lower I might buy my shares back. I held 100 shares, so I have all I need for OBC.

i wouldn't say its a great time to buy. what if the ship slips more and does go into the deep water? what if the fuel tanks rupture? what if even more claims of the captain and chief officers doing irresponsible stuff come out. with the 16 or so still missing what if more stories of dead passengers found near muster stations come out? there was a post by someone on the costa board who claimed their relative was a salvage inspector for a company called titan something or other and that person personally inspected the ship for the salvage options. if i had that info as gospel truth i'd use it.

1. Not real stockholders, that's why they buy them, particularly holders of a large amounts of stock such as insurance and pension funds and other institutional investors who over the long haul have the biggest influence on the price of stock. The price of the stock might be dropping, but what are the volumes if small, it is just the little guy panicking and the price will stabilize. If you see a price drop with a corresponding high volume then there is real trouble.

Like I said, I'm not a pro but this thread was not about the big boys invesment strategies over the long haul. This thread is based more on emotions which is not a good way to invest.

2. What lack of response????

The one where Miciky Arison issues a statement that says he is deeply saddened. Seems he could do more.

But that's just me.

The one where Miciky Arison issues a statement that says he is deeply saddened. Seems he could do more.

But that's just me.

That was on Micky's personal Twitter account, maybe you should read some of the press releases and official statements and not just what gets posted here and in the jaded press.

i wouldn't say its a great time to buy. what if the ship slips more and does go into the deep water? what if the fuel tanks rupture? what if even more claims of the captain and chief officers doing irresponsible stuff come out. with the 16 or so still missing what if more stories of dead passengers found near muster stations come out? there was a post by someone on the costa board who claimed their relative was a salvage inspector for a company called titan something or other and that person personally inspected the ship for the salvage options. if i had that info as gospel truth i'd use it.

Lucky the US market isn't open today then! I don't see anyway that ship gets anything other than scraped.

Archived