Unlimited Passport Collection

Mcobean

Hello all

Considering the 9/14 Lisbon to Rome on the Riviera this fall and see that they are now offering an Unlimited Passport Collection, any initial thoughts on this? 40% off seems like a good deal.

This would be our first Oceania Cruise so I am not familiar at all with the excursions

Cheers!

Cruise line tours tend to be expensive, and O is no different. But a 40% discount should bring them into the reasonable realm.

The real question is if you prefer ship's tours as opposed to touring on your own or with a small group. We tend to opt for the latter so we'd never go for the Passport but we HAVE taken isolated ship's tours on various cruises, and we've never had a bad one. A few were not great, but usually they were quite good.

Just big groups! (That's the part I mostly object to.)

Mura

I must have completely missed this. I would think since we have a cruise booked coming up they would have let us know about it, unless it's only offered on certain cruises. Does anyone have a link explaining the details of this?

I must have completely missed this. I would think since we have a cruise booked coming up they would have let us know about it, unless it's only offered on certain cruises. Does anyone have a link explaining the details of this?

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/oceania-unlimited-shore-excursion-packages/601858/1

Cruise line tours tend to be expensive, and O is no different. But a 40% discount should bring them into the reasonable realm.

The real question is if you prefer ship's tours as opposed to touring on your own or with a small group. We tend to opt for the latter so we'd never go for the Passport but we HAVE taken isolated ship's tours on various cruises, and we've never had a bad one. A few were not great, but usually they were quite good.

Just big groups! (That's the part I mostly object to.)

Mura

An enthusiastic +1 to Mura's answer. If you'd like the savings of alternatives to excursion but you're not sure about how to form/participate in a small private excursion, head to the Roll Call board for the cruise you're considering. See if people are talking about organizing private excursions.

Ship's tour advantage: As long as you're on the bus at the end of an excursion, the ship will wait for you. Some people find this so reassuring they're willing to deal with the large-group drawbacks.

Private/Small group advantage: You have control over your plans for the day and you're dealing with the vagaries of a smaller group of people.

If you want help planning private excursions, head to the appropriate Port of Call boards. Lots of helpful posters will suggest specific sites to visit, and reliable private tour companies. Please figure out whether you like an in-depth tour or a more general one. This will affect your decision to hire a licensed tour guide or just a licensed driver.

Archived