Bringing on "special" items

Mykitteh

I've only cruised once, headed out on my second cruise soon. I'm wondering if I'm allowed to bring on a few 'special' things.

1.Hot Sauce-Franks to be exact. I got about 2 dozen little sample bottles and I want to bring them in case I want to add them to my food. I love my hot sauce, and yes I do put that *ahem* on everything (as the commercial goes). Am I allowed too? And would it be insulting to the cook. The food was great on our last cruise-I'm just a fan of a bit of bite in my food. People add ketchup,salt, etc to their food, so would be bringing hot sauce considered "bad"?

2. Chocolate milk/Soy drinking boxes-little mini bottles for breakfast. It seems to be a toss-up if the ship has it or not, and for me it's a morning staple. The chocolate drink they offered on the cruise last year was...well...different

I think you mean those boxes of unrefrigerated "milk"? If so you can put that **$% in your checked luggage. They will probably hold it in the naughty room till they can check out all the containers and confirm they are sealed and have what they claim to have in them. It's worth a try!

BTW, we had a bag stay in the naughty room before I realized there was a naughty room. We had packed 6- 8 tubes of sun screen (DH and I can easily use most of a 6 0z bottle in a day for the 2 of us) in our checked bag (for the airlines). When our bag didn't show up, our steward went down for it. Later on when I learned about the naughty room, I realized that much sun lotion probably looked suspicious!:eek:

Thanks-the hot sauce is sealed in plastic all the way around. They are just about an oz maybe. I'll pack them in my carry on to avoid a mess.

The imitation milk like product I wasn't sure about-thanks. I'll play it safe, rather than sorry and hope their chocolate milk in the WJ.

Thanks again for the help-appreciate it :)

I just brought some vanilla yogurt onboard as that is my morning staple- no issues at all. Put it in a small cooler bag, slapped a luggage tag on it and it arrived safe and sound. I just threw out the couple I had at the end of the cruise so they didn't come back off with me.

Both hot sauce and chocolate milk are readily available on board. If you want a particular brand for the duration of the cruise, go ahead and bring yours. Your bag may be diverted to security, but you can go down, open it for the staff and they will see the sealed cartons of milk.

Enjoy

M

We had a bag taken for inspection because of hot sauce we'd bought in PR before the cruise, once they saw that's what it was it was OK. After we waited an extra 3 hours for that bag......

Now it sounds like sunscreen bottles are setting off their alerts? What about shampoo etc? If this obsession about booze keeps getting worse pretty soon EVERY bag will end up being delayed and searched. People on CC make light of the "naughty room", but this is getting beyond ridiculous:rolleyes::mad:

We had a bag taken for inspection because of hot sauce we'd bought in PR before the cruise, once they saw that's what it was it was OK. After we waited an extra 3 hours for that bag......

Now it sounds like sunscreen bottles are setting off their alerts? What about shampoo etc? If this obsession about booze keeps getting worse pretty soon EVERY bag will end up being delayed and searched. People on CC make light of the "naughty room", but this is getting beyond ridiculous:rolleyes::mad:

Yep. One of my mom's bags went to the naughty room because she packed a regular size shampoo. It could have been emptied and refilled with alcohol. Therefore, she was required to prove that it was actually shampoo.

beachchick

I think it was the quantity of sunscreen tubes that set them off...im sure they figured I was trying to smuggle booze...'course if they knew me, they'd Im a tee totaler!:p SO let this be a lesson to would be smugglers...sunscreen bottles won't work either

There are a couple of fast food spots where they serve Texas Pete hot sauce in the little plastic packets the size of the mustard and ketchup. My Grandson is a HUGE fan of hot sauce. He puts this on his french fries, and I pick a few up prior to every cruise. I slip a packet into my evening bag. They have Tabasco sauce on board, but he, like the previous poster doesn't care for it. You won't have a problem with the milk either. Tag it and take it in your carry-on if you want. They may open or look at it but you'll be allowed. As to the chocolate milk, they serve it in cartons in the WJ, but in the main dining room, you can get milk with the chocolate syrup added. My Granson loved it so much, he asked for "the cruise chocolate milk" when we got home.

Archived