A comparison of emergency procedures.

Nothing can beat training and being prepared for action in an emergency. When it happens, you simply respond automatically....unfortunately, I know from experience. Fortunately, training minimized the death toll and trauma.

We haven't been on the Island in a while but on the Ruby, Star, Grand & Emerald in the past year they did not scan everyone & if you were not scanned nothing was said.

I'll bet that will not be the case from now on...

What most don't realize is that by law, while it's mandatory for all ships to conduct muster within 24 hours, passengers are not required to attend. Some cruiselines do require it and others don't.

I think the maritime laws will change the timing of muster as well as passenger attendance requirement as a result of this tragedy.

We haven't been on the Island in a while but on the Ruby, Star, Grand & Emerald in the past year they did not scan everyone & if you were not scanned nothing was said
In March of 2011 on the Sapphire, the scanning was a half hearted attempt, and there was no big deal if you were missed; it was said to be under test. In contrast, in Dec. 2011 on the Grand they did scan everyone in the room, did make several announcements that if you had not been scanned to do so. I do not know what was said or done if a pax did not get scanned as attending.

Archived