A comparison of emergency procedures.

Before I start, I know that the Princess story I am about to tell is not even close to the Costa Concordia disaster. I simply want to illustrate the difference in crew/officer comportment in these 2 situations.

DW and I were on the Grand Princess inaugural Atlantic crossing in 1998. When we were a couple of days into our Atlantic crossing, we were on the lido deck having breakfast, when an announcement came over the speaker system "All crew to your emergency stations", which was then repeated. Immediately, all the serving staff stopped what they were doing, and left. One of the stewards who was serving coffee simply put his coffee pot down on our table, and walked away.

Friends of ours, who went down to the dining room for breakfast, had ordered their food, but said it never arrived. The entire staff went to do whatever they are supposed to do in an emergency.

In a few minutes, an announcement told us that "There is a small fire in the engine room, but it is under control". Since we wanted to go to a lecture in one of the lounges, we made our way over there. On the way, we noted that all of the "stair monitors" were in place. Upon arrival in the lounge, half of the seats on the right hand side of the lounge were full of crew, all wearing their life jackets, waiting further orders. They were very calm, very quiet, I'd say businesslike.

The next announcement was that the fire had been extinguished. Still, the crew remained in their assigned places. Not until the announcement for the crew to "stand down" did the staff return to their normal duties.

I realize this is not the same as an "abandon ship" situation, but we were very, very impressed with the way this small situation was handled. We were kept informed of the situation, and every crew member knew exactly what he or she was to do. I have every confidence in the Princess staff to do what is right to protect the passengers in an emergency.

I would hope that those of you who have witnessed similar situations where the officers and crew did exactly as they were trained would speak up. This is a vey unusual catastrophy, not at all typical for the cruise industry.

What the Navy and most of the military have learned is that repetitive drills and knowledge of what to do in an emergency will result in less loss of life and an easier evacuation when needed. If the crew does not panic and demonstrates knowledge of the procedures then the passengers are more likely to not panic and follow their orders. When given the proper information 90% of the people will act in the right manner. The other 10% are idiots and only will look out for themselves.

:eek: crew all missing and than wondering the ship find a bunch of them sitting in the lounge with life jackets while passengers nothing... interesting

... Upon arrival in the lounge, half of the seats on the right hand side of the lounge were full of crew, all wearing their life jackets, waiting further orders. They were very calm, very quiet, I'd say businesslike.

:eek: crew all missing and than wondering the ship find a bunch of them sitting in the lounge with life jackets while passengers nothing... interesting

And, your point???? Seems to me that they were following the exact procedures that they had been trained to do. If there followed and Abandon Ship order, they would then most likely do what they had been trained to do. Honestly, I would have felt as reassured as the OP seems that a organized plan was in place.

It's almost hard to accept that a Captain serving on a CCL position would have acted in that way. In all the confusion without someone leading the effort least some of the crew had enough training to carry on without him.

It's almost sounds like that Greek cruise ship that sunk a number of years ago when the Captain left everyone for themselves.

I believe the mustering of the crew in small emergencies is a precautionary measure so that they are all located and ready to take action if need be. There's no reason to muster 2600 passengers unless there is an actual emergency. Obviously the Captain of Concordia waited too long to muster the passengers - but mustering too soon could cause panic and injuries without reason. No matter what the emergency, we're at the mercy of the commanding crew to know when's the right time to act.

A few years ago, I was on a HAL ship and we were awakened at 2am by the emergency alarms. We were told that a cooler (commercial frig) had an electrical problem and started a small fire. A few minutes later (but it seemed like an eternity) we were told that the fire was out and as a precaution, two firefighters would stay at the location until further notice.

The point I'm making is that even in the case of a minor problem, the Captain had awakened everyone on the ship and started the process of mustering. That's the procedure, even on Costa, that the Captain and his staff failed to do. He should have let the passengers know the truth of what happened, they were assessing the situation, and to prepare to muster as a precaution. That wouldn't have alarmed passengers and allowed them the time to get with family, get properly dressed, and mustered. There was almost an hour to do this.

The Captain failed on several levels. No punishment is severe enough.

We were on the Noordam, the first or second sea day of the cruise, hanging out on the indoor pool deck. The emergency horn began to blow. After about three sounds, people began to count, five, six, seven, but no long blast. The Captain then came on and asked certain teams to go to their emergency stations, so many of them promptly left. The Captain also told the passengers that they were not involved at the time. The Captain had a very concerned tone in his voice. About 1/2 hour later the Captain announced that there was a fire in the buffet and that it had been put out by a staff nurse that was nearby all was now well.

It seems to me the real problem (aside from being way off course) with the Costa ship was that the Passengers and crew were not mustered immediately upon hitting the rock. It seems the Captain did not want to admit his error when it happened. Reports on the TV indicate the Captain actually ordered a meal from the galley 30 mins. after the collision. WOW.

I just returned from the Crown on Saturday. Not sure how new this procedure is, but we had to have our cruise cards scanned before entering the muster station, presumably giving the crew a digital count.

Anyway, having been on Princess 7 times and Carnival twice, I think CCL (and Costa, as it appears they use similar procedures) could learn a few muster tips from Princess.

I'm not saying this would have solved the entire problem, heck it may not have made a huge difference with such an incompetent crew, but I think Princess' practice of mustering in a lounge needs to be implemented everywhere. Watch the videos of the Concordia. Mustering on deck looked like pure chaos. People are waiting at their assigned spots, while others run to find theirs, all while the crew is attempting to prepare the boats. This is all in one small area. With Princess, I feel the lounge concept keeps everyone in one place, organized in a definitive room with (depending on situation) good audio for communication and instruction. Passengers are more relaxed. If an evacuation is needed, the crew can already have groups and lead them to the boats then. Ever notice the excessive amount of emergency exit doors in a place like Club Fusion? Exactly. And if the ship is listing, everyone then has access to the high side, no one is stuck on the low deck.

Finally, in the event of a different emergency, say the Star Princess fire, could you imagine mustering out on deck at the boats? People would have panicked, pushed into boats, etc. Waiting outside for an issue that does not require evacuation would be interesting. Just my thoughts.

I just returned from the Crown on Saturday. Not sure how new this procedure is, but we had to have our cruise cards scanned before entering the muster station, presumably giving the crew a digital count.

Anyway, having been on Princess 7 times and Carnival twice, I think CCL (and Costa, as it appears they use similar procedures) could learn a few muster tips from Princess.

I'm not saying this would have solved the entire problem, heck it may not have made a huge difference with such an incompetent crew, but I think Princess' practice of mustering in a lounge needs to be implemented everywhere. Watch the videos of the Concordia. Mustering on deck looked like pure chaos. People are waiting at their assigned spots, while others run to find theirs, all while the crew is attempting to prepare the boats. This is all in one small area. With Princess, I feel the lounge concept keeps everyone in one place, organized in a definitive room with (depending on situation) good audio for communication and instruction. Passengers are more relaxed. If an evacuation is needed, the crew can already have groups and lead them to the boats then. Ever notice the excessive amount of emergency exit doors in a place like Club Fusion? Exactly. And if the ship is listing, everyone then has access to the high side, no one is stuck on the low deck.

Finally, in the event of a different emergency, say the Star Princess fire, could you imagine mustering out on deck at the boats? People would have panicked, pushed into boats, etc. Waiting outside for an issue that does not require evacuation would be interesting. Just my thoughts.

from my son who was in the Navy I know that any fire on a ship is taken very seriously.

When I was on the Sapphire in September they scanned our cruise cards at the muster drill. I was told that anyone who did not show up would be required to attend the special muster they do the next day.

I have to say I am one of the people who always hated those drills, until the disaster on the Star a few years ago. Now I know it is important and always go and listen

we sailed on a Costa cruise in the Caribbean in 2006 and also compared the mustering unfavorably with Princess. While mustering in a lounge seems to some to be an extra step, for our Costa drill we were standing, crammed nose to armpit (I am short) feeling like we were on a crowded elevator while the muster directions were broadcast in multiple languages.

Also, imo, having mustering in a lounge, safe from elements, able to maintain a sense of calm, might encourage mustering when it is not a decisive situation - encouraging erring on the side of safety.

I forgot to add, on our Baltic Cruise on the Emerald this past summer, the crew scanned us all into muster.

Thanks for sharing. I agree - very reassuring.

We had a small fire on my first cruise on Carnival Fascination. Our room steward woke us up at 2 am to tell us to get dressed and grab our life jackets. He was very professional and polite as he was trying to alert everyone in his area. After we dressed and left our room, the emergency was cleared and we could return to our room. Again, while not to the extent of any real emergency, I was impressed with how Carnival handled this situation. It was very professional and orderly. Passengers sensed this and were calm. Thankfully, it was quickly contained and never became a real issue for passengers.

I forgot to add, on our Baltic Cruise on the Emerald this past summer, the crew scanned us all into muster.

The weird thing is that I was on the Sapphire last December. They scanned certain areas but not all of them. We didn't get scanned but others reported it.

The weird thing is that I was on the Sapphire last December. They scanned certain areas but not all of them. We didn't get scanned but others reported it.

This past October (Ruby) My and Dw's cards were scanned. I did note however the crew wern't scanning everyone.....

Bob

This past October (Ruby) My and Dw's cards were scanned. I did note however the crew wern't scanning everyone.....

Bob

We were also scanned on that cruise and my recollection is that everyone near us was also scanned.

I can assure you that the scanning of the cards is only to check to see if their equipment is working & not to check if they've scanned all the passengers. Anyone not scanned will not be contacted for a repeat drill the next day.

I initially thought I had forgotten my cruise card and they came over to manually check me in on the scanner before the drill began. They did not announce names of people who were not in attendance, but the crew continuously asked if anyone had not been scanned and had several people walking around Club Fusion to make sure everyone was accounted for.

Incorrect. On the Island they specifically announced during muster, make sure your card is scanned unless you really feel like doing this again tomorrow. And admittedly secondhand, we heard of one couple who had a note left in their mail slot to report to muster drill the next day.

I can assure you that the scanning of the cards is only to check to see if their equipment is working & not to check if they've scanned all the passengers. Anyone not scanned will not be contacted for a repeat drill the next day.

Incorrect. On the Island they specifically announced during muster, make sure your card is scanned unless you really feel like doing this again tomorrow. And admittedly secondhand, we heard of one couple who had a note left in their mail slot to report to muster drill the next day.

We haven't been on the Island in a while but on the Ruby, Star, Grand & Emerald in the past year they did not scan everyone & if you were not scanned nothing was said.

We were scanned on the Crown and were told that those who did not attend were required to attend the following day.

We will find out for sure shortly. ;)

from my son who was in the Navy I know that any fire on a ship is taken very seriously.

When I was on the Sapphire in September they scanned our cruise cards at the muster drill. I was told that anyone who did not show up would be required to attend the special muster they do the next day.

I have to say I am one of the people who always hated those drills, until the disaster on the Star a few years ago. Now I know it is important and always go and listen

I must admit (pre armed with the knowledge that they don't do a roll call) that we didn't even bother attending the muster drill on our MSC cruise a couple of years ago, we just stayed in our cabin and had a few drinks. I now feel quite foolish and guilty in light of recent events .... :( I will be attending muster on our forthcoming Crown cruise !

Archived