Costa Concordia Heros

melody-s

There have been plenty of stories about people behaving badly. Let's talk about some of the people who did the right thing and helped to save lives. One story that stood out was the purser who got trapped while looking for passengers. There must be others. Can anyone else share?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/15/costa-concordia-purser-saved

the very young dancer girl who stayed to help and was airlifted off the ship last. i think there was a group of young (like 19/20 year old) entertainers who stayed to help pax until the end. yeay for the youth. :cool:

I think the entire crew, except the bridge officers, are heros.

They were left alone and had no clue of what's going on because nobody told them from the bridge. They handled the mass and the panic very well under those very hard circumstances.

I would not characterize the entire crew as heroes. There was also the incident when crew filled a lifeboat and would not let passengers on.

But I do agree those individuals that did do their job and go beyond should be mentioned. Unfortunately I would not consider this as "Costa's Finest Hour".

Who had the guts to order that captain back on board. Even though not heeded....

Some are too afraid to stand up to a high ranking ship officer

AND the people of the island! You would have thought they drilled for this!

From the Mayor on down - soooo many helped to blanket victims, get them warm, get them into buildings and get their bearings before heading off on ferries to the mainland

They all should be commended too!

HOWEVER - If it's the same Mayor as last August, it's hard to reconcile that he wrote a thank you to the captain for pulling the same "drive by" for his islanders - but that one was not nearly as close in proximity.

They were left alone and had no clue of what's going on because nobody told them from the bridge. They handled the mass and the panic very well under those very hard circumstances.

The actions of the senior officers are unclear. I have not seen any news stories or eye witness accounts indicating their involvement with the evacuation of passengers. It is alleged that some abandoned the ship with the captain.

News articles today claim that some of the junior officers "mutinied" by preparing the passengers to evacuate 30 minutes before the Captain gave the "abandon ship" order. If this proves true, I would say that this is highly commendable, given that they risked dismissal, if later events had shown they over-reacted and Costa backed the captain. Not heroes, perhaps, but employees doing their duty under extremely difficult circumstances.

Giuseppe Girolamo, a musician in the Concordia, he had a place in a lifeboat but gave it to a child. He is still unaccounted for.

http://www.cadoinpiedi.it/2012/01/18/lascia_il_posto_sulla_scialuppa_a_un_bimbo_disperso_batterista_della_concordia.html

My heart and prayers go to him and his family... can you translate the article for us?

The actions of the senior officers are unclear. I have not seen any news stories or eye witness accounts indicating their involvement with the evacuation of passengers. It is alleged that some abandoned the ship with the captain.

News articles today claim that some of the junior officers "mutinied" by preparing the passengers to evacuate 30 minutes before the Captain gave the "abandon ship" order. If this proves true, I would say that this is highly commendable, given that they risked dismissal, if later events had shown they over-reacted and Costa backed the captain. Not heroes, perhaps, but employees doing their duty under extremely difficult circumstances.

If the story of near mutiny proves to be what happened, I do think they qualify as heroes. They certainly risked, at the least, dismissal if not prosecution to do the right thing. It's hard to buck the brass when you truly believe that they are not acting with integrity, or as may turn out to be the case, not acting rationally.

My heart and prayers go to him and his family... can you translate the article for us?

OK, here it goes:

Left his place in the lifeboat to a child: the web remembers the drummer hero

Giuseppe Girolamo, drummer on the Costa Concordia gave his place in the lifeboat to a child. He is still unaccounted for.

While Captain Schettino was getting ready to abandon the ship Concordia as fast as he could, Giuseppe Girolamo, wirking in the Concordia as drummer of the band Dee Dee Smith, left his place in the lifeboat to a child. A heroic gesture that probably cost his life. In fact, he is still unaccounted for.

Last time he was seen was Friday night. Some witnesses say that "he had a place on the lifeboat but gave it to a child".

His friends are looking for him, posting on Facebook "we know you are out there, let us know where" or "we are here waiting for you". His family is in the island. But until now there's no trace of him. His name is still among those missing. Few possibilities of finding him alive but there's still hope.

On Facebook his last message from January 2: "Happy 2012 to all my friends... sorry for the delay but the sailing hasn't given me a chance to go online before! Byeee!"

I've read somewhere that he had only started working in the ship since october.

Wait a minute. As details emerge, it is beginning to appear that 1 bridge officer was indeed a hero- Roberto Bosio, who was 2nd in command. While Captain Schettino was on the phone "a long time" or "always on the phone" (to Costa Corporate), according to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica; it may have been Bosio who ordered and organized the evacuation while Schettino dithered.

Actually Bosio was not second in command (the second in command was a Greek officer that fled together with the captain). Bosio had been second in command on Concordia some time ago and is now working on another Costa ship. He had just ended a six month working period and was lifted in Civitavecchia for a passage to Savona, near his home. In other words, he was off duty. When he realized the three main officers had already fled, he stepped in command on his own.

Actually Bosio was not second in command (the second in command was a Greek officer that fled together with the captain). Bosio had been second in command on Concordia some time ago and is now working on another Costa ship. He had just ended a six month working period and was lifted in Civitavecchia for a passage to Savona, near his home. In other words, he was off duty. When he realized the three main officers had already fled, he stepped in command on his own.

I stand corrected. Bosio was second TO command!

Wait a minute. As details emerge, it is beginning to appear that 1 bridge officer was indeed a hero- Roberto Bosio, who was 2nd in command. While Captain Schettino was on the phone "a long time" or "always on the phone" (to Costa Corporate), according to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica; it may have been Bosio who ordered and organized the evacuation while Schettino dithered.

It sounds like Roberto Bosio was indeed a hero as he was the one to give the order to abandon ship BUT he was off duty at the time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

The second in command was with the captain as he stated in this portion of the transcript. They both bailed. Sad! :(

De Falco: "And so what? You want to go home, Schettino? It is dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the pilot ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what their needs are. Now!"

Schettino: "…I am with my second in command."

De Falco: "So both of you go up then … You and your second go on board now. Is that clear?"

EDIT: OOPS... took too long to post, already answered.

Okay, I'm throwing my chips in with the entertainers onboard if everything goes pear-shaped. They know how to command attention to themselves and they know how to get the job done! I am amazed by these people whose professions have nothing to do with the sea....other than that's where their stage happens to be.

Interesting article you posted, siMAGICde. Bosio wasn't even part of the crew of the Concordia; he was the Captain of another Costa ship, the Serena.

Other disturbing details emerge in this story.

Mr Schettino told investigating magistrates in Grosseto, on the Italian mainland, that he ended up in the lifeboat by accident.

During three hours of interrogation on Tuesday, he reportedly said: “The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.”

He said he got stuck in the lifeboat for an hour before it was lowered into the water off the coast of Giglio island.

Also with him was Dimitri Christidis, the Greek second in command of the Concordia and Silvia Coronica, the third officer, according to La Repubblica newspaper.

“Suspended there, I was unable to lower the boat into the sea, because the space was blocked by other boats in the water.

Schettino was stuck in the lifeboat for an hour?!? And how did his 2nd and 3rd in command get into the same lifeboat? Did they fall into it as well?

No wonder Italians are mocking this captain by selling T-shirts that say, "Get back on board!"

That story is here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022477/Costa-Concordia-Italians-buy-t-shirts-with-Get-back-on-board-for-s-sake-logo.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=218595&stc=1&d=1326903598

vada-a-bordo-cazzo_2112534c.jpg.08e98d18672182821ad72f798e36601e.jpg

I think as we learn more facts, there will be many heroes. Crew members may have been cooks, cabin stewards/stewardeses, laundry personnel, or entertainment staff. If I understand correctly, in case of an emergency each crew member has a specific duty to perform. I also suspect that many of the passengers acted in a heroic manner.........the type person who is level headed & courageous in an emergency situation.

No doubt, one death is too many & all deaths & injuries are to be mourned. This is a horrible tragedy. However, it seems to me that a large number of people were doing all the right things. Otherwise, the death toll would have been much higher.

OK, here it goes:

Left his place in the lifeboat to a child: the web remembers the drummer hero

Giuseppe Girolamo, drummer on the Costa Concordia gave his place in the lifeboat to a child. He is still unaccounted for.

While Captain Schettino was getting ready to abandon the ship Concordia as fast as he could, Giuseppe Girolamo, wirking in the Concordia as drummer of the band Dee Dee Smith, left his place in the lifeboat to a child. A heroic gesture that probably cost his life. In fact, he is still unaccounted for.

Last time he was seen was Friday night. Some witnesses say that "he had a place on the lifeboat but gave it to a child".

His friends are looking for him, posting on Facebook "we know you are out there, let us know where" or "we are here waiting for you". His family is in the island. But until now there's no trace of him. His name is still among those missing. Few possibilities of finding him alive but there's still hope.

On Facebook his last message from January 2: "Happy 2012 to all my friends... sorry for the delay but the sailing hasn't given me a chance to go online before! Byeee!"

I've read somewhere that he had only started working in the ship since october.[/quot

Thanks for the translation. I'm praying for him.

Archived