Head is swimming... transportation/lodging

jdmaillet

Hi

We are on the 1/28 sailing of the Ruby. Everything around the airport is booked. There is some availability in the Plantation area reasonably priced on Hotwire and LMT. Also, thinking of doing 3 rooms on Priceline. There are 6 of us. My sis and her adult daughter and my family of 4 (2 adult daughters). We'll be flying all day from Seattle, getting in around 10:30 at night and I'm thinking a hotel room for 4 of us with double beds is going to be a squeeze (hence extra room for kids if affordable on Priceline). We hadn't planned on renting a car. Was hoping initially for something by FLL with a shuttle but that's not going to happen. Now, trying to figure out whether to rent a car, take a paid shuttle... what to do? I don't know if we'll need 2 taxi's or 3? Taxi fare out that far? And, if we rent a car, do we have to go back to the airport to drop off? Can we pick up at FLL and drop off at the port? I've been working on this trip (which includes a deep south road trip postcruise) for so long, I can't even think straight anymore. Any input on what you'd do would be appreciated! I put off this portion... like a dummy, thinking the last week of Jan they'd be giving rooms away!!

Thanks,

Jenn

Yes, I use priceline frequently. If I bid, I'll bid on 3 rooms (2 each to a room). If I use Hotwire, I'll get one as it allows me to book 4 people to a room, but most of the hotels Hotwire uses have doubles and not queen. I'm just trying to decide on the best way. Especially interested in the rental car situation as far as pick up and drop off and what a cab might cost up to Plantation. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area. If I have to do rack rate, I'll just be getting one room, two beds.

Honestly, I think your best bet at this point is to go the car rental route. Just checked Thrifty, and using the Orlando Magicard code - 004M001010 - I'm getting a price for a mini-van for your dates of $46.31 tax incl., which quite frankly is a fabulous price. Pick up at FLL, drop off at their location on Miami Road, right at the entrance to the port. They provide a free shuttle to the ship. Be sure to sign up for their Blue Chip program, which should mean that your vehicle will be waiting and ready to just drive off in when you arrive at FLL.

Hampton Inn airport north has rooms available that night for under $230 including free shuttles and breakfast. If you get in too late for the airport shuttle, taxis will be really inexpensive ($10-15 per taxi?) to this hotel. They have AAA and AARP discounts.

2301 SW 12th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33315, USA

1-954-524-9900

Taxis to Plantation cost more, $20-30 depending on where you are staying. You would need to rent quite the vehicle for 6 people and luggage.

Try valuetrips.com for the Hyatt Place North. I believe it is $175/roo.

The room is huge, 2 beds and a sofa bed. You can get 2rooms.

The hotel offers pick up from the airport to the hotel.

You can just ask for a taxi van or take the hotel shuttle for $8/person.

You can also get a car, I don't know how many days you are staying.

Once you get to the hotel, go to the front desk and ask them to call Gold coast car rental.

GC will bring you to the port when you drop off the car.

I don't have Gold Coast number with me but just Google them, they are easy to find.

This is exactly what we are doing in March and I have stayed at the Hyatt North before, believe me, the rooms are HUGE.... My sister's family is 5 (3 teens) and they manage to stay in 1 room (it's only for 1 night)

Hope this helps

Archived