Transfers to Boston port?

cinnamon

We have booked the Hampton Inn, 230 Lee Burbank Highway in Boston for the night of 27th October prior to our cruise on Jewel to Tampa. Can anyone give me an idea of transfers to the port?

There is a free airport shuttle to and from the hotel. Would it be much cheaper to go back to Logan and take a taxi from there or get a taxi direct from the hotel? Also roughly what would it cost for 2 people?

Thanks for any help.

What are you paying for the Hampton Inn? It's not too exciting - it's really located in Revere, not Boston. You might be able to do better in Boston itself.

It would definitely be cheaper to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take a cab from there - short trip but $20-25. The ship will be just across the harbor from the airport. You can also take public transit (Silver Line - $2) from the airport to the port. Post back if you're interested in that.

Thanks very much. Unfortunately that weekend in Boston there is a large convention in town and all hotels are charging ridiculous rates. This has been thoroughly researched by people on our Roll Call and the cheapest prices are coming in at well over $160 a night. We are happy with the Hampton, booked in £s from the UK and including breakfast. We only need somewhere to rest up after a flight from London, no sightseeing this time.

I would be interested in the public transport but of course we will have cruise luggage to manage. Is this easy on the Silver Line? We are happy to pay the taxi from the airport and the free shuttle though and I suspect this will be the easiest option.

Cinnamon

The Silver Line is designed for folks with luggage, but you still have to manage it. It's an articulated bus with a low step and luggage racks and stops on the lower level (arrivals) of every terminal at Logan Airport. It's similar to a rental car shuttle, but bigger. You would take it to World Trade Center where you would cross over to the other side (elevators and escalators available) and take the SL2 bus to Black Falcon Ave, which is where the ship is. If you do this on a Sunday morning, the bus is likely to be empty.

Most folks just take cabs, but I wanted you to be aware that there is a public transit option.

You should be fine at the Hampton Inn.

Thanks very much for the info. I suspect we'll take the free shuttle to the airport and then a taxi.

However, many of our fellow cruisers are staying at the Embassy Suites in town. How feasible is it for us to get there to join them in the evening on public transport? Of course we would not have luggage. They may go out for a meal all together and I imagine that would be in a restaurant near the hotel.

Thanks for your help, it is so good to have someone with local knowledge.

Cinnamon

Embassy Suites is at Logan Airport in East Boston near the Blue Line Airport stop. According to the Hampton Inn site, your Hampton Inn shuttle will drop you at the "T", which is likely to mean the Blue Line Airport station. That would be an easy drop off for the hotel shuttle. You'd have to discuss with the hotel how a pickup would work.

I don't know what restaurants you are going to find near Embassy Suites - it's East Boston next to the airport - not a tourist area. That's one reason this hotel has a restaurant. However, if you all take the Blue Line 2 stops to Aquarium, you will be near Faneuil Hall where there are lots of restaurants to choose from. Legal Seafoods is right there.

• 1 month later...
The Silver Line is designed for folks with luggage, but you still have to manage it. It's an articulated bus with a low step and luggage racks and stops on the lower level (arrivals) of every terminal at Logan Airport. It's similar to a rental car shuttle, but bigger. You would take it to World Trade Center where you would cross over to the other side (elevators and escalators available) and take the SL2 bus to Black Falcon Ave, which is where the ship is. If you do this on a Sunday morning, the bus is likely to be empty.

Most folks just take cabs, but I wanted you to be aware that there is a public transit option.

You should be fine at the Hampton Inn.

Could you possibly tell me about how long the trip would be from the airport to the World Trade Center, to the port? I'm looking for pretty much the cheapest way to get between the two, but if it will take forever, I might splurge on the taxi.

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm estimating 30-40 minutes depending on connections and the terminal you leave from at Logan. I did it two weeks ago from terminal A and we stopped at terminals B, C, and E before taking off to South Station. What airline are you flying?

I'm estimating 30-40 minutes depending on connections and the terminal you leave from at Logan. I did it two weeks ago from terminal A and we stopped at terminals B, C, and E before taking off to South Station. What airline are you flying?

I'll be flying Spirit, but I'll actually be coming in the day before. I'm looking at staying somewhere near airport with free shuttle... then shuttle back the next day for free, then take bus, etc to get to port.

And as I spell that all out, I'm thinking I might just splurge on the taxi straight from the hotel... But it's good to know that there is public transportation available.

Thankyou!!

What exact date do you need a hotel room? The airport hotels are not too exciting and most of them are located NE of the airport (away from the port) in towns like Revere, Winthrop, and Saugus. Depending on your exact location, a taxi from your hotel could be a big splurge.

What is your hotel budget? Boston hotels are expensive, however sometimes there are deals on Hotwire. If you're going to stay in a "fringe" hotel, there are some other places you can look at.

If my friend commits to this cruise, we will need a hotel on July 11th (a wednesday). Haven't researched a whole lot yet. Waiting for her to say she'll go...

Might just need to book a hotel and go for it. I could also get a rental car for Wednesdya to Thursday at the airport, then either taxi or public tx when I return the car at the airport on Thursday.

You didn't say anything about your budget. Renting a car could be an expensive option on top of any hotel.

Look at the John Jeffries House - $124 single/$149 double. Not fancy, but it would put you in the heart of Boston in Beacon Hill near the MGH Red Line "T" Stop. There's also a 2.5* hotel on Hotwire in South Boston for $123. Not sure which hotel this would be - perhaps Holiday Inn. It offers a hotel shuttle - probably an extra charge. There's also a $206 4* hotel in the Waterfront area - almost definitely the Westin. 1 block from the "T" and 5 blocks from the pier, so you could walk it if you wanted.

Please don't rent a car unless you have a real need for it (like going to a destination outside the city somewhere). You will find it to be more trouble than it's worth. You would probably be able to see the ship from the rental car return, but it would take you at least 45 minutes to get from the return area to the pier.

Let us know what you decide.

Please don't rent a car unless you have a real need for it (like going to a destination outside the city somewhere). You will find it to be more trouble than it's worth. You would probably be able to see the ship from the rental car return, but it would take you at least 45 minutes to get from the return area to the pier.

Let us know what you decide.

We have decided against renting a car. If my friend drives to Boston, we'll have a car, but if she flies, we'll do shuttles & taxi's, and buses.

Once we know how she's getting to Boston, I'll definitely be checking back here for more info.

Do you know anything about the Seaport Boston hotel? anything close to eat & have a drink?

I have stayed at the Seaport - very nice. They actually have a good restaurant. The No Name restaurant is across the street on the fish pier, Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen is down the street, and Anthony's Pier 4 is up the street on the other side of the World Trade Center. There is also a Morton's Steak House in the area. For more casual dining, the Barking Crab is on the channel up Northern Avenue. There's also a "watering hole" on the other side of the WTC before Anthony's. The area is primarily offices and is OK to walk at night.

I have stayed at the Seaport - very nice. They actually have a good restaurant. The No Name restaurant is across the street on the fish pier, Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen is down the street, and Anthony's Pier 4 is up the street on the other side of the World Trade Center. There is also a Morton's Steak House in the area. For more casual dining, the Barking Crab is on the channel up Northern Avenue. There's also a "watering hole" on the other side of the WTC before Anthony's. The area is primarily offices and is OK to walk at night.

Great list of restaurants (although based on health reports, I'd be wary of the Barking Crab!). There are also all the new restaurants where Jimmy's Harborside used to be: Legal Harborside (2 restaurants), Jerry Remy's Sports Bar, Del Frisco Steakhouse, and a couple others. Lots of choices!

Well, the 4* Waterfront hotel is $204 today. This is actually an excellent price for a midweek 4* hotel in Boston, particularly if you take the "T" instead of a cab from the airport. The "T" or walking to the port is also an option from this hotel. For almost any other hotel choice you will either spend at least $25 on a one way cab fare from the airport or be located out in Revere, Saugus, Chelsea, or Winthrop.

We are all set thru our bid last summer with Priceline for the Westin Waterfront. Now, on to restaurants. Any near by? We are also looking into the Hop On/Off Trolley but the website is only up to March 31. We are planning June 6-7 before sailing. So still a bit early for settling that. Restaurant help would be appreciated. Also, anyone familiar with the hotel, any views of the port from rooms? Would love to wake up and see our ship!

Thanks for the help.

Well, thank you for all of your help, 138East, but in the end, we won't be going on this cruise. A month ago my friend had a bad car accident, broke/dislocated her elbow, and broker her foot. We expected 6 weeks of recovery. It's been over 4 already, and she's still in terrible pain, in a wheelchair, etc. I know by July she'd be okay, but right now the extra stress of thinking about this, especially when she'll soon have to go on disability, just isn't working, so I cancelled it, and we will rebook after she's all better.

But I will certainly come back here if we rebook out of Boston! Thanks again!

We are all set thru our bid last summer with Priceline for the Westin Waterfront. Now, on to restaurants. Any near by? We are also looking into the Hop On/Off Trolley but the website is only up to March 31. We are planning June 6-7 before sailing. So still a bit early for settling that. Restaurant help would be appreciated. Also, anyone familiar with the hotel, any views of the port from rooms? Would love to wake up and see our ship!

Thanks for the help.

Hi Nana,

If you don't mind telling- what was your winning bid for the hotel. I am asking for a friend who was looking for something reasonably priced in Boston.

Thanks

Ian

Hotwire will give you an idea of Boston prices for a particular date. Earlier this year there was a lot of discussion about hotels for the Jewel repo cruise. There was an absolutely fantastic deal on Hotwire that was known to be the Sheraton Back Bay for $100. The folks who played around several days with bidding on Priceline found they would accept $95. Others balked at prepaying the hotel (even though they could buy insurance for a few $$) and others thought they could do better (LOL). If you see a good deal on a Boston hotel that you can live with, grab it. They don't last long - tons of people are out there looking because the Boston prices are like the NY prices and there is a far smaller pool of hotels. Betterbidding will give you a good idea of the possible choices.

Archived