Is anyone else having trouble...

G&TQ

Is anyone else having trouble getting back the cruise excitement?

We cruise in April and while I am looking forward to it and know we will be safe and have a fantastic time, the effervescence is gone. Last weeks event took all the bubbles and giddiness out of the excitement.

Any suggestions on getting it back?

This is usually the time "I am floating on a I am going on a cruise high" but I am finding my self faking it when we check the count down with my son. And I haven't checked the port forums or updated anything all week. My DH asked this morning when I would be getting him his checklists of things to do/find/get that I normally give him before a big trip. I am just a dud right now.:(

I leave for Miami, two weeks from today.

Will get on the Glory, Super Bowl Sunday.

I am as excited as ever, to be going on a cruise.

Recent events will never deter me from cruising.

However, I will be doing things a bit differently

this time around.

I am so looking forward to another great cruise.

One thing that might help is purchase or rent the movie "Out to Sea" with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Sure, it's a bit far-fetched, but it sure is funny and will definitely put you in a much better mood.:)

Great suggestion!

We're going to Paradise Island before our next cruise in April and I'm equally excited about both - trading frigid weather for the tropical and sub-tropical sunshine.

We cruise in April and while I am looking forward to it and know we will be safe and have a fantastic time, the effervescence is gone. Last weeks event took all the bubbles and giddiness out of the excitement.

This is usually the time "I am floating on a I am going on a cruise high" but I am finding my self faking it when we check the count down with my son. And I haven't checked the port forums or updated anything all week. My DH asked this morning when I would be getting him his checklists of things to do/find/get that I normally give him before a big trip. I am just a dud right now.:(

I'm not feeling this, but then again it's a while till my next cruise.

Let me suggest that this will be your vacation. Pack up your concerns like you would your luggage, only do it right now - take a few things you have around that either you don't like or remind you of something you don't like and let them be symbols of your concerns, pack them into a small bag, and toss the bag into the back of your closet until you return from your cruise - sort of like a land-based version of advice I've heard from several cruise directors: to leave your cares behind on the dock because they'll be there when you get back. (I've actually seen people do this onboard, take a glass of water and dump the water overboard before leaving the dock in a symbolic act - yeah we're not supposed to toss stuff overboard but we're not supposed to smuggle either and we're not talking lit cigarettes here.)

Then try for a little different perspective. The Costa accident was a bad thing that has messed up many lives and totally ruined others. But on the cosmic scale of Things That Go Wrong On Earth, if we're honest about it, this accident probably barely moves the needle. If you believe in prayer, give that a go, too.

Your cruise is a blessing, a chance to have a fun and festive time with you family and to make new friends. Give yourself a little time, and you may find yourself back in bubbly/giddy mode.

So far, I'm maintaining that "I have a cruise in 3 months" good vibe but DD has become a bit nervous since the Costa tragedy. She's never been concerned on any of the other cruises we've done but the Concordia situation has her a little spooked. I'm sure she will be fine by April and when we board the Freedom and have that first DOD (or BOD - beer of the day), all will be well. ;)

I think you need to listen to your favorit "CRUISE MUSIC" Whatever song that when it comes on, you immediately smile and think of having a drink with an umbrella it...

maybe some Jimmy Buffet or Kenny Chesney they have several songs on my Cruise Playlists.

I am super excited for my next cruise.

Everyday I think about something I will be doing and enjoying (sitting on the balcony, watching the water)

I also sometimes look at past cruise photos (especially since I've been to all my ports before - this reminds me how great a time I had, and will have)

Mostly I am excited for the time I will get to spend with my mother.... living on the other side of the world, I miss being close to my family... and I look forward to enjoying her company and making some more memories with her, before I fly back to the other side of the world...

Other ways I get excited, deciding what I want to do at each port.... trying on my formal outfits....

Hopefully you'll get your excitement back soon :)

I know it's not rational, but I'm having trouble getting excited about our cruise and we leave in 9 days. Honestly if I could without losing a bunch of $$$, I'd cancel this trip. Unlike my other 2 cruises, I'm just not looking foward to going. I think part of it is leaving my teen daughter at home and the whole "what if" thing. Just has us both a little unnerved.

I'm in the camp that believes that if it's your time, then it's your time. One way or the other you are going.

I look at statistics on getting in a car, all it takes is someone texting or a police chase gone wrong, or just someone with really bad driving skills and you can die just that fast. And this happens often, hundreds of times a day.

The cruise accidents you usually hear about are small cruiselines. The Costa thing was horrible, but how often do you hear of something like that happening?

I will put my faith in good crews at Carnival, remember the fire on Splendor wasn't it? The crew reacted quickly and appropriately. If panic with the crew would have happened all kinds of problems and possibly deaths would have occured.

I'm as excited as ever for my next cruise, I know the odds of my getting home safe will be better than that person getting in their car and going to work, or even getting on the plane (which I also have to do) to get somewhere.

I relax and let life happen, sometimes awesome, sometimes a very bitter pill. But it continues to turn.

Carole

I'm sorry..I don't mean to make light of people's feelings, or fears, but I just don't understand why this has affected people in the way it has.. there have been other marine disasters and people still cruise, there have been hundreds of plane crashes.. do you all not fly? Hundreds of thousands of car accidents.. do you all not drive?

I understand that this was a marine disaster, and that for those directly involved, a tragedy.. but I think personally, that the cruising industry will be "uber" safe for the next while.. and since it no more involved me than watching it on TV and feeling empathy for those on board, and anger over the sheer arragance, I for one and very much looking forward to my cruise, meeting new people and having a great time.

I'm sorry..I don't mean to make light of people's feelings, or fears, but I just don't understand why this has affected people in the way it has.. there have been other marine disasters and people still cruise, there have been hundreds of plane crashes.. do you all not fly? Hundreds of thousands of car accidents.. do you all not drive?

I understand that this was a marine disaster, and that for those directly involved, a tragedy.. but I think personally, that the cruising industry will be "uber" safe for the next while.. and since it no more involved me than watching it on TV and feeling empathy for those on board, and anger over the sheer arragance, I for one and very much looking forward to my cruise, meeting new people and having a great time.

It is the first time that a modern ship of it's size has gone down. While people may not have sailed on Costa, that class of ship is strikingly similar to most ships in Carnival's fleet, so they can relate to the horror.

I admit to a slight damper, but I wish my cruise (which is on Splendor) is next week instead of 2 months away.

I am not worried about anything happening on the ship, but I do admit to being a little uneasy to fly now - and I fly frequently.

I kinda understand. I'm 42 days out, and I get caught up in the details (work, home, planning, etc.) of making sure everything is done for 5 of us.

Then, I get on the plane - and all the worry and stress starts to fade. Once on the ship, with a DOD in my hand, I'm on vacation - best feeling ever!

Decide now that you will enjoy yourself - and you most likely will.

My first cruise is also in April, and just today I was bouncing around chanting "85 days to go!" The odds of another ship going down are slim, so I'm not worried. I'm more worried about what if they cancel a port of call than I am what if the Legend hits an iceberg.:D

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am not afraid or even worried. I too wish it work next week instead of 73 days. I just lost my enthusiasm for it. The shine is a little dull.

I guess the sadness of a joyous experience ending so tragically is just sticking to me. I think I might take my son to see the chipmunk movie this weekend and check out the movie with Jack Lemon - He was a character!

To night I pull out the lists and get started. 71 days till we leave in 73 days I will be sailing!

Not here. DW and SILs are hyped about their "all girls" cruise in 3 weeks; I'm hyped about cruise in April. And both DW and I are hyped about the Breeze right after Turkey Day. :)

Sorry you're down, but shake it off and get back in the groove.

Disasters affect all of us differently... I remember after the tsunami feeling very down for like a week. Watching the coverage on CNN or the like will only keep the cycle going so if you are watching TV or surfing the web for the most recent status of the Costa incident I don't think that will help you getting your regular mindset back. It's truly a tragedy, and a completely unavoidable one at that and I think that makes it difficult to deal with also. I think you should start looking at youtube for videos of your ship to excite you and start your regular planning -- soon enough you will begin to feel the enthusiasm grow!! Have a great time! :D

Archived