Cabin Booking Myth---Accessible Cabins

kitty9

My husband and I booked B2B cruises through an agency. We asked for 'guaranteed inside'. When I checked our reservation on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean later, I saw that we were assigned HC cabins on both cruises. I checked our paperwork to see if somehow our TA flagged us as needing an HC cabin. I don't see anything. We do not need these and would be happy to exchange with someone who does need it. I'm not sure how to go about this since we booked the guaranteed inside and had no input into which cabin we received.

Any thoughts?

Use the Celebrity UK website to investigate which cabins are available in whichever cabin category you were assigned. If there's a regular cabin a available, contact your TA and have them switch you. It's very easy.

This happened to me. I saw an incredible C1 rate on our upcoming Summit cruise and grabbed it and the X system gave me an accessible aft cabin.

Called my TA and told her I held an accessible aft cabin even tho I didn't ask for nor need one. At the time it was the last C1 available, aft or otherwise. TA said this was what X does rather than lose a sale.

I was put on a wait list for a regular C1 aft when an A1 aft became available at the same rate so I jumped on it. Again the C1 cabin I gave up became available on the website.

I wish X had a definite policy on how these accessible cabins can be booked. It causes inconvenience for all involved when just anyone can book them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As someone who needs an accessible cabin I would not worry if X allocate you an accessible suite, especially if the cruise is less than 6 months away. I would imagine that these are being avoided by disabled passengers on cost grounds, although now this has been highlighted I might start to look at late availability suite offers on cruises we are booked on just to see if I can get a bargain upgrade.

I just want to clear up the most popular cabin booking myth. It is NOT true that if an able bodied person books an accessible cabin early on, that they will be moved if a disabled person needs it. I know this for a fact because on more tan one occasion I've been shut out of booking an accessible cabin, and had to book a suite just so my scooter would fit. I asked the booking agent to check if any of the HC cabins were booked by able bodied persons and was told every single time that they have no idea who books those cabins and if they're disabled. Once a cabin is out of inventory, that's it---it's gone for everyone, even for a disabled person. Once on board, I made it a point to find out if some cabins contained non-disabled persons, and I found out that quite a number were booked by person's who had no need of them.

So, to those who book HC cabins and who's travel agents tell them this story of having to move if a sabled person needs it, just know that your TA doesn't have a clue.

This matches our experience on another line. I had not requested a HC cabin as I was ordered off my feet after final payment. Even though the ship was only about half full, there were no HC cabins available onboard. I encountered one lady who told me that her TA recommended booking a HC cabin because they have more room! TAs that knowingly do this are unethical in my opinion as they prevent someone who needs the cabin from booking.

Edited by HokiePoq

My husband has had Parkinson's for five years. He does not need a wheelchair and to look at him, the signs are minimal BUT, he does have balance problems and has fallen trying to get out of a tub when we had a non-accessible cabin. I don't understand all the complaints about folks having that type cabin when Celebrity insists every time we book one, we have a statement confirming our disability issues. I agree you should never book an accessible cabin if you do not need one, but do not be too quick to judge just by looks.

Trish