2 for 1 and free air on Oceana Regatta

SeaWatch

Is this offer too good to be true?

The cost of airfare is included in the published pricing structure. You can opt out and do your own transportation and receive a "small" credit (depending on destination)

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

Is this offer too good to be true?

Short answer: No.

Its marketing.

No one pays the full fare price.

The cost of the airfare is rolled into the fare. You can opt out and get a credit. O airfare may or may not be better than what you can get on your own.

Short answer: No.

Its marketing.

No one pays the full fare price.

The cost of the airfare is rolled into the fare. You can opt out and get a credit. O airfare may or may not be better than what you can get on your own.

Wouldn't the short answer be yes.

The air is included in the cruise fare which can be a good thing, you know all your costs going in, this can be worth the price just in reduced stress for a lot of travelers.

I was looking for a one way flight from Barcelona to Toronto for this May, the best I could find was ridiculous over a $1,000.00 per person using multiple internet search engines. A friend who is a travel agent found us a direct flight for $365.00 per person, we have to stay in Barcelona for 5 days (not a hardship) to get it but even with the cost of renting an apartment in El Borne it will still cost 1/2 the price of getting air the same day the ship docks.

If you don't like the angst of searching for flights and you want to return the same day as the ship docks it can be a fair deal. The airlines know when the ships dock and bill accordingly. Just check the price of a flight out of Miami in the morning as opposed to 1pm in the afternoon on a ship day.

It is part of a full a service package.

I don't know how Oceania is able to get away with this kind of advertising. Every cruise they offer seems to have "2 for 1 and free airfare". Although a full price is listed, I don't think they ever sell a "full-priced" cruise. We have always (twice) taken the "free" airfare, as I think it is cheaper than what we could find for ourselves, and also includes transfers to and from the airport, but I know a lot of people prefer to book their own airfare and get a credit back from Oceania. Another advantage of taking Oceania's airfare is they will do everything in their power to get you there in time for your departure. This was proven to us in 2010 when we were flying into Santiago, Chile a week after the earthquake. Our flights, arranged by Oceania, changed 6 times in 2 days, and they actually delayed the ship's departure for 6 hours waiting for our plane to arrive. (There were about 60 cruise passengers on that flight from Toronto, not just us.)

Think of the two for one rates like this:

Mercedes Benz E class sedan - full brochure price $130,000

Act now and save half!

That's what brochure prices for all cruise lines represent, a ridiculously high, arbitrary fare which they can then cut in half to try to fool people into thinking they are getting a deal.

This doesn't mean that the two for one rate is not fair.

I do not get it :confused:

maybe just me

People looking for OW flights from the debarkation port to home

How do they get to the embarkation port?

Unless you live close enough to drive that is

From Toronto we need to fly to most ports of embarkation

i usually check for Open jaw flights overseas

Just as an example we are doing a river cruise with friends

they were have trouble finding the flights I had priced out at $931 pp

They were quoting me $2300 OW from Budapest :eek:

They were not pricing the outbound & inbound on the same ticket but as 2 separate tickets

Now this may work great for USA domestic flights but I find doing an Open jaw or multi city works out cheaper at least for me

Some Oceania's flight are a great deal if you do a deviation to suit your needs

YMMV

I don't know how Oceania is able to get away with this kind of advertising. Every cruise they offer seems to have "2 for 1 and free airfare". Although a full price is listed, I don't think they ever sell a "full-priced" cruise. We have always (twice) taken the "free" airfare, as I think it is cheaper than what we could find for ourselves, and also includes transfers to and from the airport, but I know a lot of people prefer to book their own airfare and get a credit back from Oceania. Another advantage of taking Oceania's airfare is they will do everything in their power to get you there in time for your departure. This was proven to us in 2010 when we were flying into Santiago, Chile a week after the earthquake. Our flights, arranged by Oceania, changed 6 times in 2 days, and they actually delayed the ship's departure for 6 hours waiting for our plane to arrive. (There were about 60 cruise passengers on that flight from Toronto, not just us.)

I do not think transfers are included in the air package.... you pay extra

You were lucky during the earthquake ..if the planes are not landing there is NO way any cruise line will get you to the ship

an acquaintance was booked on Princess they tried rerouting them during the crisis but in the end they just could not get them to the ship

They canceled & the travel insurance paid out

Last summer, Oceania was offering 2 for 1, free air, 1 night free hotel prior to the cruise, transfers from hotel to cruise, extra $1000 off on 2012 European cruises. So an offer of 2 for 1 plus air isn't even especially good.

We got a $900 credit on the air and a $250 per person credit on the hotel/transfer. We're using miles and hotel points so we are taking the cash.

It seems to me that they do add and subtract on these offers and that, if a cruise is close to sold out, they may indeed charge full fare on the remaining cabins. On the other hand, they can sweeten the offer anytime if the cruise isn't selling well or they have "better" cabins available.

If the upgrade fairy appears, life can be especially good.

• 2 weeks later...

I lve in Hawaii, and a rt air economy to Miami in December runs about $1100 perperson However from NY its only $240 pp. On some passengers the win and some they loose. If I opted out and took cash I would get about $400 per person.

If I used my frequent flyer miles it would cost me $1500 to $2000 per person in milage accrual costs. So no value in a "free" ticket costing 50 to 100% more than the coach ticket ( miles cost you to accrue and you paid for them with real money so they are NOT free)

The air devation of $125 pp was and is well worth the extra because it would go from Kona not Honolulu to Miami, Be all on United, on which I get free baggage, milage bonus and free up grade to first class or premimim seats. That more than covers the $250 for 2

For me the cost of the cruise came in at $175 a day after adjusting air fare.!!! That, for what your get is astounding! A Holland America cruise same time in a lesser cabin was over $200 a day per person.

I dont care what the hype is or the faux list price is. I care about the bang for the buck, because at the end of the day thats what I pay for the value I receive.

Oceaina has a winning product priced with real value however they do it...

I do not get it :confused:

maybe just me

People looking for OW flights from the debarkation port to home

How do they get to the embarkation port?

Unless you live close enough to drive that is

From Toronto we need to fly to most ports of embarkation

i usually check for Open jaw flights overseas

Just as an example we are doing a river cruise with friends

they were have trouble finding the flights I had priced out at $931 pp

They were quoting me $2300 OW from Budapest :eek:

They were not pricing the outbound & inbound on the same ticket but as 2 separate tickets

Now this may work great for USA domestic flights but I find doing an Open jaw or multi city works out cheaper at least for me

Some Oceania's flight are a great deal if you do a deviation to suit your needs

YMMV

We do an occasional transatlantic cruise so we need a fare to Miami and a fare back from Europe. We usually stay in Europe a week or two to visit friends so the Oceania deal is not working for us. For us it make sense to book two one way fares.

Archived