Upgrades

bugger83

What is the best way to go about getting an upgrade? Is there usually a good price? Should we wait until we get on the ship?

Royal rarely gives upgrades to begin with and if you wait until you get on, you're too late. Book the cabin you want and assume that's the one you'll be in unless you pay more.

We have taken almost 40 cruises on various cruiselines & never got an free upgrade out of our catagory.

I always continue to monitor the availability & prices up until we sail.

Last summer we had a balcony booked on the Oasis. About 6 weeks before the cruise a 'suite guarantee' catagory opened up. It was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than a JS, so we paid the difference & got a fabulous room.

Also last year, we had a balcony booked on a Celebrity ship.

30 days before sailing they opened up the family balcony rooms to anyone. You ususally need 4 or 5 people to book those but they had not been taken. I upgraded to one of those. There was just the 2 of us. It was fabulous. Two seperate rooms. I could not believe they were in the balcony catagory instead of suite catagory so it was a very reasonable upgrade.

What is the best way to go about getting an upgrade? Is there usually a good price? Should we wait until we get on the ship?

Most ships sail full so if you wait til you get on the ship it is likely that there will not be cabins avaliable and if there are you will have to pay the going rate. If you want a better cabin book it now. Free upgrades are rare.

I was able to updgrade from a Junior Suite to an Owners Suite on a Med cruise. As previous posters mentioned, book what you want and then watch rates. I ALWAYS check fares right up until the ship leaves. 2 weeks prior to my Med cruise, I saw that Owners Suites dropped to $20/pp cheaper than what I had paid for a JS. I immediately put a courtesy hold on the website, called my TA with the hold res # and told her to get me that room. Was definitely worth checking daily for rate reductions!

Don't wait around for Royal or your TA to do it for you...they won't.

Archived