Southwest airlines

mid20scruiser

Flying Southwest this June to MCO(Orlando) for the first time.

paid the xtra $10.00 per seat to board first,or how ever they do

it.Was that a smart move or a waste of money?Usally fly Airtran,but

they pulled out when Southwest bought them.

it.Was that a smart move or a waste of money?Usally fly Airtran,but

they pulled out when Southwest bought them.

Waste of money is completely your decision or opinion. The only time I'll ever pay the extra $10 is when I know I cannot check in 24 hours in advance (for example, Orlando to Kansas City in February saw me smack dab in the middle of a conference presentation 24 hours before my flight...no way to check in. $10 well spent). However, other people do it every time because it's one less thing to worry about, which I understand completely. So, "waste of money" is a decision only you can make.

Waste of money is completely your decision or opinion. The only time I'll ever pay the extra $10 is when I know I cannot check in 24 hours in advance (for example, Orlando to Kansas City in February saw me smack dab in the middle of a conference presentation 24 hours before my flight...no way to check in. $10 well spent). However, other people do it every time because it's one less thing to worry about, which I understand completely. So, "waste of money" is a decision only you can make.

Have you ever flown Southwest?Don't really understand the advantage

of paying the xtra $10.00 per.seat,but the wife said to do it,so we could

get on first and choose our seats first.We have our daughter and her better half flying with us and

wanted to make sure they where close to us,they never flown before.

get on first and choose our seats first.We have our daughter and her better half flying with us and

Well, not first (those willing to pay biz class fare for same seats are those who, among others, board first), but immediately ahead of those who haven't paid the fee (at least in theory). We paid it on a recent SMF-ONT flight because we wanted to increase the chances of getting two exit row seats together, and because we were busy traveling and didn't want the hassle of pouncing on a computer exactly 24 hours (not 24.1 hours) in advance. We ended up with boarding numbers in the high 20s (and, curiously, two numbers apart those I booked both of us at the same time).

Southwest does not always have the best fares on all routes they fly, even taking into consideration the two bags at no extra cost. But I still check them. Sometimes the cost or times/number of connections rules them out. Sometimes not. We've not yet been in a situation where their lack of agreements on transfer of bags has impacte our decision. In our case they were the only airline flying non-stop on our route (Sacramento to Ontario). For our onward flight we flew American Airlines, using frequent flyer miles.

Well, considering my example was of a Orlando to Kansas City flight on Southwest in February...yes, yes I have ;)

Even with the $10, you won't get on first..."first" goes to Business Elite fare purchasers. Then comes those who pay the $10...but since there isn't a limit on how many people can pay the $10, one could actually still end up in the B group having paid extra to board "first" or "early". In reality, one could even end up in the C group, though I doubt that's very common at all.

I've only done it a few times, when I knew I wouldn't be able to check in at the exact 24 hours in advance moment. If I can check in at 24 hours exactly, I haven't found my boarding position to ever be bad enough to justify $10. Heck, I can buy a drink at the airport for that price! ;)

Southwest does not always have the best fares on all routes they fly, even taking into consideration the two bags at no extra cost.

Just last night, I was looking at Kansas City to Las Vegas in October for a long weekend of fun. With all taxes and fees, Frontier was $240 for nonstop, and Southwest was $385 for nonstop around the same times. I don't plan to check a bag since it's just a weekend, but add about $20 or so to the Frontier price for that - still $260 for Frontier, $385 for Southwest.

My best friend in Denver was experiencing the exact opposite - Southwest was $75 cheaper for Denver to Las Vegas than Frontier was.

Well, considering my example was of a Orlando to Kansas City flight on Southwest in February...yes, yes I have ;)

Even with the $10, you won't get on first..."first" goes to Business Elite fare purchasers. Then comes those who pay the $10...but since there isn't a limit on how many people can pay the $10, one could actually still end up in the B group having paid extra to board "first" or "early". In reality, one could even end up in the C group, though I doubt that's very common at all.

I've only done it a few times, when I knew I wouldn't be able to check in at the exact 24 hours in advance moment. If I can check in at 24 hours exactly, I haven't found my boarding position to ever be bad enough to justify $10. Heck, I can buy a drink at the airport for that price! ;)

Looks like there's no guarentee(spell) we'll get to set together.and maybe next time I need to go with an airline that you can choose your seats and

know where you are seating,another way airlines make money.I read the

info. on paying the xtra $10.00 for early boarding,but didn't fully understand it.:mad:

I paid that 10.00 per person each way (expensive lesson and i will not do it again. (there was 7 of us)

I booked most of the tickets in July and added a person in November-

booked EB @ 10 each at time of booking.

The ticket we got in Nov had number A38 and we all were A 48- 53

Business seating gets first call. then the handicapped people get called next.

Families with young children go between a/b seating.

I agree- if you are near a computer and can check in yourself within 24 hours.. save your 10 bucks.

Your best bet to get seating together-- is plan to head all the way in the back. As people board they take the front seats.

Looks like there's no guarentee(spell) we'll get to set together.and maybe next time I need to go with an airline that you can choose your seats and

know where you are seating,another way airlines make money.I read the

info. on paying the xtra $10.00 for early boarding,but didn't fully understand it.:mad:

Odds are good that if you pay the $10, you'll all get to sit together. However, I view the $10 charged by Southwest as a "differently named" seating fee, such as other airlines sell. Just remember - each day, Southwest is becoming more and more like every other major airline in the US.

it.Was that a smart move or a waste of money?

If I can access a computer 24 hours prior, I won't do it. However, for the return flight, I am usually still on a ship :) and don't want to bother with paying to check in there. So I'll pay the $10 then. It helps with getting on the plane quicker, which means the overhead space won't be taken up. I've heard of people having to scramble for overhead space if they have to sit towards the rear.

• 4 weeks later...
We LOVE LOVE LOVE flying Southwest...the only problem right now is that SW only flies out of Columbus, OH & Indianapolis & we live nearest to Dayton. SW did make an announcement that they will be taking over service in Dayton from Airtran, but no date given on when that will happen. If you can get the SW flights they are definitely worth it..the crew has always been friendly on our flights and they are more then generous with thier snacks/drinks. We had to fly Delta last trip to FLL and it was just blah.

Great news for you...starting Aug 12, SWA will start service in and out of CAK (Akron/Canton) and DAY (Dayton)

I always just SW flights just for the heck of it and they are always more expensive. For example, I'm purchasing a ticket this week from BWI to Las Vegas through someone else (a very good carrier) and the rate is $301. SW wants almost $600 for the same flight!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always just SW flights just for the heck of it and they are always more expensive. For example, I'm purchasing a ticket this week from BWI to Las Vegas through someone else (a very good carrier) and the rate is $301. SW wants almost $600 for the same flight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if they're different airlines, they can't be the same flight ;)

Well if they're different airlines, they can't be the same flight ;)

Sure can. Leaving one airport, traveling to the same airport at about the same time (give or take a few minutes). :cool:

Sure can. Leaving one airport, traveling to the same airport at about the same time (give or take a few minutes). :cool:

Yeah, but than it's not the same flight...it's the same timeframe.

I'm just givin' you a hard time. :D

• 1 month later...
That is, aside from some of their wacky flight attendants. ;)

Or their passengers. :D

This will be my first time flying Southwest, and my first time printing my boarding pass from home. Question.......once I print my tickets from home, do I still have to check in at the front desk at the airport, or can I go straight to the gate area? Thanks for your help!

Anyone fly with southwest airlines? They have some really good prices for flights. They don't have their schedule past august 10, 2012. when should I expect for them to post flights for the end of august? Any suggestions

Southwest is a no frill airline, but very reliable. Their rates are low. Frequently, their rates are lower that discounted rates on main stream airlines.

Disadvantages with SW are the seating (the sooner you check in online 24 hours before your flight, the better chance of a good seat). Also, flights are generally medium range. They have no cross country nonstop flights. But they do go into Ft. Lauderdale.

This will be my first time flying Southwest, and my first time printing my boarding pass from home. Question.......once I print my tickets from home, do I still have to check in at the front desk at the airport, or can I go straight to the gate area? Thanks for your help!

do you have luggage to check? if not you can go straight to your gate.

Remember the liquid rules apply. That applies to deodorant and make up

Archived