Questions about UK!! Please help!

RaMar

CapitalOne card issues a 2% cash back and has ZERO transactions fees.

Equalling a net gain of 2%.

Cheers

Len

The question concerned Amex cards which don't have at least a 2.7 foreign transaction fee.

In looking at ther Capital One credit card page, it seems the card with the 2% cash rewards on everythig is a business card, not an insurmountable problem as you can declare yourself a business with no problem, but according to what I read there the card has a $50 annual fee which is waived for the first year.....

The best was a 2% cash back on everythng card some of us had on a subsidiary bank of Charles Schwab and company. No annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and 2% on everything. Schwab couldn't sustain that card and turned it back to FIA which is the original MBNA as bought out by Bank of America (they serviced that card as well as the American Express card from Fidelity I referred to). Just recently, Bank America took full control of the late Schwab card, converted all the cards to their Bank Americas rewards program which gives rebates of 1% on everything, 2% on groceries up to I believe $1500 a quarter and 3% on gasoline up to $1500/quarter. No annual fee but what they did do and have continued is that unlike almost every one of their other credit cards, on this particular card namely their rewards card that was morphed form the Schwab card, they do not charge a foreign transaction fee. How long that will last, I don't know. When I used the Schwab card on my foreign trips, it was almsot as if I was getting 5%, or at least that's what I told myself. Yo know no 3% foreign transactin fee and a 2% rewards to boot. I also use a credit card from Pentagon Federal cu which pays a 5% rebate on all gasoline purchases.

The only problem with the Amex Fidelity card is not so much the 1% foreign transacton fee, I mean I still in effect get 1% back but I can also get the 1% if I just use my late Schwab now Bank of America rewards card or I can use my Chase freedom card which has 1% on everything and each quarter rotates some things to 5% (but then again it has the nasty 3% foreign transaction fee so no good for foreign travel although I would suppose in a quarter when it is paying 5% on hotels or restaurants, it might make sense to use it on foreign hotel or restaurant charges and get the 2% net). However, for example, I just renewed my auto insurance and had intended t use the Fidelity Amex card to get 2% back but discovered that my insurance c ompany only takes MC or visa and not Amex so I was only able to get a 1% rebate.

I would say the best I got was I had to go out of network for a kidney stone attck while I was away from home and while the doctors were not my own doctors and out of etwork, I had to pay the doctors and file claim forms for reimbursments. One set of doctors bills came to $10,000 billed to me directly but I filed for reimbursment and got back almost all of it and then I paid the doctor bill. Guess what. They took the Amex so $10,000 of charges represent cash back of $200 (not that I advise gettng sick for that) but it was nice to think I had beaten the system.

We always stay at Kensington House on Prince of Whales near Hyde Park/Kensington Palace. It is a very nice home that has been turned into a small charming hotel. Remember hotels are expensive and the rooms are small in London. It is a nice residential area but close to the bus/tube. Great places to eat and shop near by. It is so easy to get around in London that you won't have any trouble reqardless of where you stay. Get your Oyster card and roam London to your hearts content.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked on a cruise from Southampton on July 1st., and will be staying in London about 3 days before the cruise. Never been to the UK before and would appreciate your info.

1. How's the weather in London by the end of June?

2. What to pack for 7+ days and one suitcase?

3. I was told by some people that American Express credit cards are not widely accepted. Is this true?

4. Still undecided about a hotel in London prior to the cruise. Can you recommend a nice hotel. It doesn't have to be super luxurious.

Thanks for your input.

We have a daughter who spent her junior year of college in England and loves the country.We've never been there but are thinking of doing so and possibly booking a cruise from there .

Does one book with a TA who specializes in European travel or just a regular TA ?

Archived