Questions about UK!! Please help!

RaMar

We are booked on a cruise from Southampton on July 1st., and will be staying in London about 3 days before the cruise. Never been to the UK before and would appreciate your info.

1. How's the weather in London by the end of June?

2. What to pack for 7+ days and one suitcase?

3. I was told by some people that American Express credit cards are not widely accepted. Is this true?

4. Still undecided about a hotel in London prior to the cruise. Can you recommend a nice hotel. It doesn't have to be super luxurious.

Thanks for your input.

The one thing that I will say is that I have never yet known it snow in London at the end of June. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

But you can generally expect it to be pleasantly warm during the day. However, the actual weather could be anything from a sweltering heatwave to chilly drizzle that requires a warm coat.

3. I was told by some people that American Express credit cards are not widely accepted. Is this true?
No. My primary card is an American Express, and there are relatively few places that will not accept it.

We are booked on a cruise from Southampton on July 1st., and will be staying in London about 3 days before the cruise. Never been to the UK before and would appreciate your info.

4. Still undecided about a hotel in London prior to the cruise. Can you recommend a nice hotel. It doesn't have to be super luxurious.

Thanks for your input.

American Express is widely accepted but is not as widely accepted as Visa and Mastercard.

If you have Visa and Mastercard its worth bringing it along just in case.

Regards climate it should be T shirt weather in June, perhaps a light jacket in the evening.

Hotels and clothes are a personal thing depending on what your definition of nice is and what you feel comfortable in.

Most first time US people make the classic mistake of looking for a downtown hotel. London is spread out so it dosen't really matter which hotel district you stay in. There are nice budget hotels of £100 or less and nice luxury hotels double or treble that if you like the frills that come with the expensive hotels. Unless you are wanting to dress up for Opera or Afternoon T or something just wear what you feel comfortable in. London is if nothing else multi-cultural and people do their own thing. Nothing is wrong, though the US tourist cliche of an obese person with hawaii shirt and a large lens camera over their shoulder might attract a giggle or two and give the impression of naivity waiting to be ripped off.

British weather is notoriously fickle - late June is usually an ideal time to visit, always the chance of anything from a grey or wet day to a heatwave, but generally warm & bright - ideal sight-seeing weather. If it's not so the morning you arrive, do not despair. It will probably be different the next day, or even that same afternoon.

Kids are still in school, so not too crowded.

Can't imagine you'll need a heavy coat, but certainly a waterproof jacket for wet days & on dry days a pac-a-mac waterproof to stuff in a pocket, just to be on the safe side. Certainly a warm jumper, though I doubt you'll need it, even in the evenings.

Globaliser is in London & I'm out in the sticks, but I think you'd be very unwise to rely on AmEx. Their trading terms, and those of Diners Club, mean that many places avoid accepting them.

By all means carry the card, and use it if its more beneficial. But everywhere that accepts a card will accept Visa & MasterCard & you should also carry one of those. Betcha G. does ;)

Hotels - there's thousands.

Click back to the Britain forum, & type "London hotel" into "search this forum" on the toolbar above Announcements. Give yourself a couple of weeks to go through the advice :D

Bear in mind your transportation into London from Southampton & out again to your airport. London's underground (the tube) is great for getting around, comprehensive, quick & frequent, and good value, esp if you purchase a card (try "tube" in that forum search facility). But it's no fun with luggage, prospects are you'll need a taxi to or from your transportation. So consider hotels near Waterloo station (Southampton train) or Victoria (Gatwick train, coaches to all parts). These areas are also pretty good value.

London's main sights are spread along about 3 miles of the River Thames from Westminster Bridge to Tower Bridge, & up to pehaps a mile north of the river. Most sights are toward the western end. Therefore no hotel is convenient to all sights, so choose one that is handy to a tube station, and perhaps a ho-ho route. The main ho-ho routes give you an idea of the location of the major tourist sights.

My own preference is near the London Eye, where there are several hotels in the former council buildings of County Hall. Lots of sights in easy walking distance & good public transport to all parts.

I find booking.com gives the most comprehensive info & reviews of hotels.

http://www.booking.com/index.html?aid=303948;label=bookings-naam-3jHr6EsDyn1Uq9ttdGmKKwS5337895701;ws=&gclid=CLLg5865660CFecmtAodMD2q5w

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=maps

Also google London toolkit, an excellent site for tourist info about London.

JB :)

Globaliser is in London & I'm out in the sticks, but I think you'd be very unwise to rely on AmEx. Their trading terms, and those of Diners Club, mean that many places avoid accepting them.

By all means carry the card, and use it if its more beneficial. But everywhere that accepts a card will accept Visa & MasterCard & you should also carry one of those. Betcha G. does ;)

Of course! I want to be able to use a credit card even in those few places that don't take Amex. But they are relatively few, and my Mastercard gets much less exercise than my Amex.

(Except in the last three months, when my Mastercard has been earning me more miles than my Amex. But that comes to an end this week.)

Thanks for your input.

3. Not as widely as VISA/MC. Also, discover is generally not accepted outside the USA

I'm out in the sticks too. Very few places round our way takes AMEX now...definately bring Visa or Mastercard in case.

To give you an idea how predictable our weather is...When Elizabeth II was crowned in 1953, the Met Office recommended having it on June 2nd as statisically it was the driest day of the year. You guessed...it peed down on the day! The only predictable thing about our weather is its unpredictable!! If you want to start a conversation with a Brit, say "Its a nice day"..you will still be there an hour later!!:D

Simon

As far as dressing for London weather is concerned - the mantra is layers, layers, layers. (light windproof with an outer waterproof is best). T shirt with a light fleece and a showerproof outer should be fine in June.

It might be p*ssing down in the morning when you leave your hotel and a heatwave by midday.

Besides, if it starts to rain too heavily you can always duck into a pub (we have more sensible opening hours now!)

To add a few comments, though my English friends obviously know better...

It can BOTH rain AND be hot and muggy...Totally unpredictable...Only thing I've learned is make sure to pack something waterproof and with a hood...and/or a small umbrella...You may get lucky and not need it...We never seem to get that lucky...

How large is your suitcase? Is this for one or for two? Just keep in mind what you are doing...Do you plan to take in a show in the West End? Go to a really nice restaurant? Pack as if you're spending seven days anywhere...but with that waterproof coat, of course...

I have found places it wasn't accepted...here too...But cards aren't heavy...you can bring more than one...I recommend bringing cards that do not have a "Foreign Transaction Fee"...My Chase British Airways Visa, for example, has no fee...Capital One cards the same...Otherwise, your credit card will tack on 3% to your purchases...

Also, a couple of tips:

1) Always carry at least one card your spouse doesn't carry...and vice versa...If one of you loses your wallet, or has it stolen...and you have to cancel your cards, you can move to using your spouse's card...

2) Call your credit card companies/banks ahead of the trip and tell them where and when you'll be travelling and planning to use your cards...That way, the "Fraud Early Warning" systems won't put a hold on your card when they spot the unusual use...

I've stayed in a few...We like the Rubens (Right near Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station)...a real "old British" feel to it...

Last visit, we went with the MayFair--nice location walking distance to Piccadilly and the Theatre District...

This coming July, we're staying at the brand new Park Plaza Westminster Bridge--near the London Eye, accross the Thames from Parliament...

Yes, you can get anywhere using the Underground or taxis...but it is also nice to be walking distance from a lot of things and near restaurants, etc.

There are actually a wide range of hotels...So, it really depends on your tastes and expectations..."nice" means something different to everyone...For me, it means AIR CONDITIONING--which we learned once is not necessarily the case in a lot of London hotels...For my wife, it means 4 or 5 stars only...

Go to TripAdvisor.com and plug in London...and you will see reviews and ratings on hundreds of hotels...and they have a price quote tool as well...

I usually check the Radisson group (includes Park Plaza) and the Red Carnation websites as both have a number of nice hotels...and I usually seem to end up with a deal somewhere on one of those systems...

Another note...it may or may not impact you, but remember that the OLYMPICS are coming to London this summer...Though you are 3 or 4 weeks before the events start, it seems to have a ripple effect on availability and prices...

Good luck...

I suggest going to the visitbritain.com website. You can prepurchase Oyster cards which are good on the underground and buses. We also booked a jetboat ride down the Thames through the site.

There are many tours and offers you can also prebook.

American Express is widely accepted but is not as widely accepted as Visa and Mastercard.

If you have Visa and Mastercard its worth bringing it along just in case.

Same is true in the US. The problem is that AMEX charges establishments a higher percentage of sale than the other card companies. I wouldn't use it in a foreign country because of foreign currency translation fees. Capital One Mastercard doesn't charge those fee for credit or debit cards.

One other thing about the UK in June - you will find the days longer and the nights shorter. On a fine day it will be getting light by around 5am, and not completely dark until gone 10pm or later. Sunsets in the UK can be spectacular, too - they can last a long time. A trip on the London Eye late in the evening on a good day would be memorable.

Most have covered it well....I wear in London basically my official tourist outfit namely a T shirt, blue jeans, sneakers (trainers as they say there) (all clean)...I go to the theatre that way (often after leaving the hotel early in the AM and not returning to cdhange), go to most restaurants that way (I wouldn't sert foot frankly in any restaurant that would tell me I can go dressed that way) and I don't forget my baseball cap, worn frontwards to protect my thinning hair line from the rays of the sun. (But they'll immediately know you're a tourist, I am told. Well as soon as I open my mout and begin talking, they peg me as a tourist anyway).

London public transportation is great but......while temperatyures usually don't go much above 25 degrees they do reach 30 and slightly above from time to time. And it's a very humid 30 degrees and the humidity, especially on the underground, can make it feel very very uncomfortable. Unlike the NYC subway system where the air con ditioning works real well on the trains, you can quickly feel most uncomfortable on the tube. Bring water (they are working on a/c the tube but it's still a ways off)...as a matter of fact, I have felt somewhat uncomfortable in my hotel on a day where it's only around 25 degrees or so because of the humidity (our bodies just get used to a/c)...few budget hotels have a/c, many theatres do not have a/c.

Finally, do what I do. Before I go to a show, I stop at a convenience or grocery store and pick up a couple of cokes, potato chips or the like for half time at a franction of the price they charge for half time refreshments. They will sell small (very small) cups of ice cream for £3.

But despite all this, London is a great place to visit.

Another question....hotels being recommended by the travel agent include Rubens, Sheraton Park Lane, Hyatt Churchill, Thisle Westminter, Grosvenor....I've done some homework by reviewing tripadvisor etc for reviews. Number of stars don't seem to tell all...ie rooms with no window, rooms over the tube, very small, no a/c etc. The Hyatt seemed to have generally good reviews overall and am a Hyatt Gold card member. Any suggestions? Want to be within walking distance of some sights (not all) and willing to take the tube where ever.

Another question....hotels being recommended by the travel agent include Rubens, Sheraton Park Lane, Hyatt Churchill, Thisle Westminter, Grosvenor....I've done some homework by reviewing tripadvisor etc for reviews. Number of stars don't seem to tell all...ie rooms with no window, rooms over the tube, very small, no a/c etc. The Hyatt seemed to have generally good reviews overall and am a Hyatt Gold card member. Any suggestions? Want to be within walking distance of some sights (not all) and willing to take the tube where ever.

We have stayed at the Rubens and Thistle Westminster. They are both right across from Buckingham Palace, The Mews (royal carriages), The Royal Gallery and within walking distance to the Mall.

This year, we are staying at the Crown Plaza St James and within walking distance to the Palace.

Victoria area has the National Express Coach and train stations, the 2 Hop On

Hop Off bus companies, regular bus, stores, pubs, restaurants, grocery store.

If you are in London when the staterooms are open at the Palace, check out http://www.royalcollection.org.uk.

http://www.booking.com has good prices for hotels.

http://www.visitlondon.com

http://www.theoriginaltour.com

http://www.bigbustours.com

http://www.londoneye.com

http://www.lunasimonehotel.com (B&B in the area)

We used http://www.justairports.com to go from & to LHR. To get a quote put in the first 2 letters and number of your hotel postal code (ours was SW1).

http://www.simplyairports.co.uk

http://www.london-transfers.com

Your travel agent seems to be selling you hotels in the most exclusive and expensive part of London around Mayfair, which is fine if you have no problem with budget and like everything top of the range. But for the average tourist visitor Mayfair / Park Lane are not the most central district for sightseeing.

The exceptions the Thistle Westminster and Rubens are in Victoria opposite the train station and arguably a better base for seeing London.

The Thistle Westminster also stands out as being well below the others in terms of quality and presumably price.

Number of stars has nothing to do strictly with the quality of hotel, it just reflects the services offered by a hotel. A 2 star hotel may be a better quality hotel than a 4 star hotel, (but seldom is). The stars just reflect the fact that the 4 star may have a restauarant and room service no matter what food they offer and put an old exercise bike in a broom cupboard as a gym to qualify for the stars. Only 5 stars are graded by ambience and quality.

There are several Grosvenor hotels in London, presumably you are talking about one of the two Marriott hotels in London by that name, both in the Mayfair/ Marble Arch area.

If you want to walk most of the time to get around the sights then Mayfair/Marble Arch is not a good starting point. London has no 'downtown' area in the US sense, you will need to use the Underground a fair bit to get around as London is spread out.The choice isn't bad if your main interest is shopping though.

Unless, your instructions to your travel agent was that you want exclusivity, perhaps near the shopping area but doesn't matter with regards proximity to the main sights as terms of reference your travel agent hasn't done agood job.

We Stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane and liked it very much. It is fairly close to a tube station so that made it much more convenient. Rooms were a bit small, but service was great and we enjoyed our stay there.

As for Credit Cards, we were also told that AM isn't accepted everywhere. We were doing a Baltic Cruise, and again, several places along the route would accept a Visa or MC opposed to an AMEX, so we went with the CapitalOne card. As was mentioned already, we planned on charging as much as we could, from simple inexpensive items, to major things, and we went with the CapitalOne card because they do not add that 3% foreign transaction fee onto all charges. It may not seem like much but if you charge enough, it does add up. I have several AMEX cards and do not know of one that doesn't add that 3% fee onto each purchase.

Cheers

Len

We Stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane and liked it very much. It is fairly close to a tube station so that made it much more convenient. Rooms were a bit small, but service was great and we enjoyed our stay there.

As for Credit Cards, we were also told that AM isn't accepted everywhere. We were doing a Baltic Cruise, and again, several places along the route would accept a Visa or MC opposed to an AMEX, so we went with the CapitalOne card. As was mentioned already, we planned on charging as much as we could, from simple inexpensive items, to major things, and we went with the CapitalOne card because they do not add that 3% foreign transaction fee onto all charges. It may not seem like much but if you charge enough, it does add up. I have several AMEX cards and do not know of one that doesn't add that 3% fee onto each purchase.

Cheers

Len

Fidelity Investments offers an American Express rewards card which gives you a 2% cash reward on everything you charge. Their foreign transaction fee is 1%; hence if you use it outside the USA (card is offered no annual fee only to American residents I believe), you net a 1% reward (2% minus the 1% ftf).

We stayed at the Premier Inn - County Hall back in 10/11. We both loved the location and convenience. We really loved the Starbucks practically right across the street. However.....my husband still complains that he heard Big Ben chime every hour (reminding him he wasn't asleep). I slept right through it no problem. So if you are a light sleeper, take that into consideration.

Both times in London pre-cruise we used the National Express bus to go from London (Victoria Coach Station) to Southampton. Much cheaper than the Princess transfer. Our friends used the Princess transfer and also had to go to the coach station.

Fidelity Investments offers an American Express rewards card which gives you a 2% cash reward on everything you charge. Their foreign transaction fee is 1%; hence if you use it outside the USA (card is offered no annual fee only to American residents I believe), you net a 1% reward (2% minus the 1% ftf).

CapitalOne card issues a 2% cash back and has ZERO transactions fees.

Equalling a net gain of 2%.

Cheers

Len

Archived