We finally wised up

MNfamilycruiser

and are going into San Juan the night before rather than flying in from MN the same day.

We will be staying at the Caribe Hilton and cruising on the Golden Princess. So my question is:

I know the documents say that embarkation begins at 1:00, and they suggest arriving after 2:00 for shorter lines. BUT..... when does embarkation really begin? And is it worth it to go early, or should we stay at the hotel and enjoy the facilities there?

Any comments and opinions are welcomed. This will be our first Princess Cruise, and we will be travelling with a family group - including 6 adults and 2 children.

I always suggest you show up at 11:30 am and start your cruise with lunch onboard and truly the shortest lines. Most folks will follow their instructions and show up causing lines at 2pm. ;) I don't think I've ever had to wait to get on showing up at 11:30-noon.

If you get on early, can you go to your room? Or do you need to just carry a small bag with you and stay out of your room until they get it ready for you?

We always try to board around 11:30 and usually our rooms are NOT ready for us. We take a brief tour of the ship and eat lunch and by the time we are done, our rooms are usually available.

We always try to board around 11:30 and usually our rooms are NOT ready for us. We take a brief tour of the ship and eat lunch and by the time we are done, our rooms are usually available.

Thanks for answering so quickly! I was just updating my user information since the last time I visited was April 2004. Well after our last cruise - I wonder why I came then? Two responses in a few minutes - I knew there was a reason I bookmarked this site.

We board around 11:30 and noon most often, and even though we are told our cabin's aren't ready, we usually can get into our cabin long enough to place our carry on luggage inside a closet. In 9 cruises on four different lines, only been told we could not do that on one cruise.

Dianne

MNfamily,

No problem. I've always found these boards to be VERY helpful.

Say, where are you guys from? We're in Chan(hassen).

Cottage Grove - SE of St. Paul - We are travelling with myself, dh and two dds, and my parents. And joining us from Apple Valley (for her first cruise) - my cousin and the daughter of another cousin. Since we are the "experts" I wanted to try and make things go a smoothly as possible. Each time we cruise, we learn a bit more: "well, we will never do THAT again" or "that was great, lets do it again!"

We board around 11:30 and noon most often, and even though we are told our cabin's aren't ready, we usually can get into our cabin long enough to place our carry on luggage inside a closet. In 9 cruises on four different lines, only been told we could not do that on one cruise.

Dianne

Thanks to everyone - I suspected the "official" information didn't necessarily match reality. But it is nice to know for sure. They must just have to wait until they have cleared the ship of all the previous weeks passengers.

It's great getting on the ship between 11:30 and noon. You get a chance to walk around the ship and learn where everything is. You can also get lunch, and if you are on the wait list for 1st or 2nd dinner seating, you can take care of that as well.

I vote for 11:30-12:00, too! I usually can't stand waiting until later, too excited. I've always been able to set my carry-on stuff down in the room on Princess even if it isn't ready. Ask nicely and tuck it in a closet!

Going later in San Juan might not be a good choice, lot of people flying in the same day and because of logistics I'd say they'd be really busy after 2:00 p.m different than Ft. L or Miami!

Susie

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton and left our hotel at 10:30, were first in line and through the doors when they opened up. We had the first row of seats and took advantage of the free refreshments - including rum samples - while waiting for our number to be called. Because we were first row and had a suite, we were called up to the registration desk first (and everyone whoo'd us :D ). By this time, it was about 12:00 and we were on the ship (first behind the handicapped passengers that had arrived at the same time.) We went straight up and toured a good bit of the ship and then went to eat. After lunch, our rooms were ready to be occupied and we had already received our luggage.

We were on the Golden in February. We arrived at the pier at 11:15 and there were about 30 people there already. There was a sign posted saying that boarding would begin at 11:45. It actually started about 11:50 and we were in our already cleaned rooms before 12:15.

We stood in line outside but were able to check in our non-carry on bags. I held the place in line while DH did that.

I am from Monticello MN. I fly in the day early for our Golden cruise this year in January. We arrived at the pier around 10:30/10:45. We were able to walk into the building where they have the white chairs lined up. For the next 30/45 minutes (which went fast) the staff entertained us with how to fill out your shipboard credit slip. You also had to fill out a paper for the whole family on your health. I think this is for the norwalk virsus illness. They called the first 3 rows around 11:30 and we then went further into the building to start the process. The staff was just arriving to the counters and it took about another 5/10 minutes. Then POOF!! magic happens and you are walking on board.

The staff will point you toward your room. I was in a suite and our room was done not sure of the other rooms.

We spend the rest of the day exploring the ship and unpacking.

You are going to enjoy the ship.

HAVE FUN!!

Thanks to everyone - I suspected the "official" information didn't necessarily match reality. But it is nice to know for sure. They must just have to wait until they have cleared the ship of all the previous weeks passengers.
Not so much for clearing the passengers, except for the b2b passengers they should all be off before the first new passenger sets foot on the ship. They really want to make sure that the cabins are clean and ready to go. While we may sneak our luggage into the cabin, we never start to unpack or occupy the cabin before they give the "all clear".

Charlie

And, of course, there's the duty free liquor store in the terminal at San Juan. You can purchase very, very low cost liquor (like 5.95 for a litre of Bacardi, I think), put it out of sight in your carry on bag and then enjoy cocktails in your room. The only drawback is that it's hard to find something to mix it with -- if I were to go again, I'd bring juice concentrates to mix with my rum or vodka. (I know you didn't ask about the drinks so it you're not interested, just ignore.)

Go for it. Get there by 11:15. As long as the ship arrives on time, you should be on board by 11:40 and in the Horizon having lunch @noon. Our cabin has always been clean. We take a carry on with a change of clothes for the pool since the luggage usually does not get to the cabin until later.

of additional responses. Thank you all for your verifications that our plan will work.

I am especially happy that we won't spend the first day/evening exhausted from a full travel day. The last time we left from San Juan we were on RCI. We barely made it on board in time to drop our carry-ons off and get down to early seating - we didn't get there until about 1/2 hour late. And then were interrupted for the muster drill! Yikes! That was definately an experience for the "Well never do that again" category.

Archived