Amtrak Cascades Sea-Van

kennyken14

We are on Radiance's first sailing out of Vancouver for this upcoming season. I realize this may be redundant but am I correct in thinking that we should have no trouble making embarktion on time with the train that leaves Seattle at 7:40am and arrives in Vancouver 11:40 am. Ideally we would have gone up the day before but it just doesn't work for us this time. I guess this is more of a question about train punctuality and if it is generally on time. Also what is the ride like. This will be my first time on a train and just wondering if there are any can't miss sites along the way.

the amtrak trains originates in Seattle so is most often on time. You can go to amtrak.com and put in the train status and check it for a few days to see how it actually arrives. It follows the coast line and is beautiful. Much nicer than driving. If you book business class you will get on and off first so it will be easier going thru customs. I prefer sitting on the left side going up so you will be close to the water. Bring headphones as they have free movies and business class gives you a coupon for discounts on coffee etc.

This is very nice way to get to Vancouver. We did it several years back when we where on Serenade of the Seas. We did get delayed because a freight train in front of us broke down. We did not get to Vancouver until 1;30 and got onboard at 2:00PM.. The train left Seattle at 7:30. So keep that in mind. There was a passenger that was catching a PRINCESS Cruise that was leaving at 2PM believe so she was a bit unerved. Ours left at 4PM so we got there with about 2 hours to spare. Its a short cab ride to the pier

Keep in mind that you will have to go through US CUSTOMS again when boarding in Vancouver.

So a great way to get to Vancouver but keep in mind that sometimes things happen.

• 4 months later...

I know I have a long while before I have to really think about this but while the question is in my head, I better put it down.

Next year we will be flying to Seattle and taking the train to Vancouver. (never been on a train so it sounded beautiful and fun).

My question is this. Does customs pre screen in Seattle or is it once we get to Vancouver? Just trying to decide how early I should be at the station.

Is going through customs between the US & Canada pretty easy or do they drag their feet?

Thanks

I know I have a long while before I have to really think about this but while the question is in my head, I better put it down.

Next year we will be flying to Seattle and taking the train to Vancouver. (never been on a train so it sounded beautiful and fun).

My question is this. Does customs pre screen in Seattle or is it once we get to Vancouver? Just trying to decide how early I should be at the station.

Is going through customs between the US & Canada pretty easy or do they drag their feet?

Thanks

You clear Canadian customs in Vancouver. However they clear the whole train in about 20 minutes....which of course has no impact on your time of arrival at the King St. station in Seattle.

If doing a return you will also clear US customs in Vancouver...which can take a little longer.

the amtrak trains originates in Seattle so is most often on time.....

The Cascades does not originate in Seattle. It begins in Eugene, Oregon (actually in Portland, Or) on northbound runs. Therefore, there is a possibility that it could be delayed from Seattle to Vancouver.

for the OP: You should be fine, but please do remember that Amtrak passenger service is not the most on time service in the world. Trains can be delayed for many reasons, from the movement of freight trains (which have priority on the tracks) to equipment break down, track problems, and crew issues.

It's unfortunate that we have such poor passenger train service in this country, outside of the NE corridor. It's a wonderful way to travel when you're not in a hurry!

Personally, I hate risking being late for, or missing, a cruise departure. I'd go a day ahead if I were taking the train, or find another way to get from Seattle to Vancouver and then take the train back to Seattle after the cruise.

The Cascades does not originate in Seattle. It begins in Eugene, Oregon (actually in Portland, Or) on northbound runs. Therefore, there is a possibility that it could be delayed from Seattle to Vancouver.

for the OP: You should be fine, but please do remember that Amtrak passenger service is not the most on time service in the world. Trains can be delayed for many reasons, from the movement of freight trains (which have priority on the tracks) to equipment break down, track problems, and crew issues.

It's unfortunate that we have such poor passenger train service in this country, outside of the NE corridor. It's a wonderful way to travel when you're not in a hurry!

Personally, I hate risking being late for, or missing, a cruise departure. I'd go a day ahead if I were taking the train, or find another way to get from Seattle to Vancouver and then take the train back to Seattle after the cruise.

It depends which cascades train you're talking about.

morning train (#510) originates in Seattle

evening train (#516) originates in Portland (connect from Eugene is by bus)

The OP is talking about the morning train, 510, which does originate in Seattle. There is no way in world he could connect to a cruise the same day using the evening train, 516, since it isn't even scheduled to arrive in Vancouver until 10:50 pm.

BTW-only a few trains originate in Eugene and even 516 originates in Portland. Check the schedule before you post misinformation about train service in the Pacific Northwest, Texas. Also the Cascades service has very good on-time performance. Amtrak performance varies a lot depending on route because of how the host railroad handles the train and the distance traveled, in this case, short. You can't just make a blanket statement about the whole system even excluding the NEC. The Cascades run pretty much on time, the Texas Eagle and Sunset pretty much don't.

I take that train (510) frequently, and the latest I have ever been arriving in Vancouver was at about 12:50, and in that case I was out of Customs and on the street in Vancouver by 1:20. Plus I was in coach, so didn't have the advantage of going through Customs first.

There is not a significant danger of missing the cruise taking this short-run corridor train. In addition to my other rides on this service, I have taken it to board a cruise in Vancouver myself.

totally agree with above and you shouldn't be worried. If you go to the Amtrak website you can check train status for a few days and you will see the actual arrival vs scheduled arrival. I take the train to Vancouver often and its always left on time.

What time should we be at the stations? We are leaving Seattle on the Saturday morning train to Vancouver. Leaving Vancouver on a Sunday evening train to Seattle. We are a family of 4; not traveling business class and would like to be on the scenic/ coast side of the train. Thanks !!!

suggest you be at the station around 7 am. In coach they have in each car a group of 4 seat 2 facing another set of 2 with a table in between. Either side is really fine as you'll have a fine view from either.

What time should we be at the stations? We are leaving Seattle on the Saturday morning train to Vancouver. Leaving Vancouver on a Sunday evening train to Seattle. We are a family of 4; not traveling business class and would like to be on the scenic/ coast side of the train. Thanks !!!

I would recommend being at the station a full hour before departure. Northbound you want to be on the left side and southbound the right side for the best views. However the train really only runs along the shoreline for a lean 30% of the time.

Thanks for the replies! What about timing when leaving Vancouver Southbound on the evening of Sun., July 1st ? We get off our ship that morning. What should we expect since it is Canada Day? And one more question- are there any restrictions on bringing wine (for our cruise) on Amtrak into Canada? Again thanks for your helpfulness!

Thanks for the replies! What about timing when leaving Vancouver Southbound on the evening of Sun., July 1st ?

[/quote\

Have to clear US Immigration so give yourself extra time. 1/2 hr perhaps?

..We get off our ship that morning. What should we expect since it is Canada Day?

Not really too much

And one more question- are there any restrictions on bringing wine (for our cruise) on Amtrak into Canada? Again thanks for your helpfulness!

1.5l per person of wine, equivalent to 2 std bottles.

Thanks for the replies! What about timing when leaving Vancouver Southbound on the evening of Sun., July 1st ? We get off our ship that morning. What should we expect since it is Canada Day? And one more question- are there any restrictions on bringing wine (for our cruise) on Amtrak into Canada? Again thanks for your helpfulness!

There are normally festivites around Canada Place but they normally don't hit high gear until later in the day followed by firework in the evening but you should be just fine in the morning. You will be allowed to bring in 1.5 litres of wine for each adult; if you need more there is a provincial liquor store about 3 blocks east of Canada Place at the corner of Cordova and Seymour Sts.....which is closed on Sundays, the next closest is at Alberni and Bute....which is a little more of hike.

Archived