Rome - Precruise Hotel Help?

bermudabarb

We will be on our first Regent cruise in May (Rome to Barcelona).

When we initially booked we included the pre-cruise LUXURY hotel package which seemed good for the price - transfers from the airport to the hotel, luxury hotel, breakfast the next morning, and transfers to the port the next day.

I was told that it was definitely worth it because the fare from the airport to Rome would be about $200+, cost of hotel room about $500 per night, breakfast $100 per couple, and transfers to the docks $150+ that we would actually be saving money and staying in a 5 star hotel.

From the research I have been doing, the cost from the airport to city center is regulated as is from Rome to the docks. More importantly, the reviews on Regent's hotel choice Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, are appalling and I don't want to start out our 25th wedding anniversary trip this way.

Does anyone have any advice or help for this newbie, please?

Transfer from the airport is by taxi. And, though I have not done this (because I take the train to Rome!) is either regulated - ie fixed cost OR no more than EUR50. Most likely less.

At most hotels you either get breakfast included or, if you don't, it costs you around EUR25 per person. Transfer to the port can either be done by taxi to rome Termini station (allow EUR 20) then train to Civitavecchia (EUR 9 pp) then taxi to the port. Allow another EUR10.

OR - much easier - ask your hotel to provide a limo. We did this a few years ago and paid EUR 100. Now I suppose that might be EUR 130.

We stayed at the Cavalieri. We loved it. It was a Hilton in those days. now it is a "Waldorf Collection" hotel (still Hilton). We got a Senior discount, including breakfast, had a lovely room and paid, I think, about EUR350/night. Personally I would now stay at the Inn at the Spanish Steps, pay about the same and be in the midst of things. Though I love the Cavalieri!!

I certainly would not stay at a Marriott. Not unless it was a JWMarriott, that is! I would also not want to take a taxi from Rome to Civitavecchia. It can be done. But Rome taxi drviers have been known to take advantage of people (putting it mildly!). Get the transfer arranged throught the concierge of the hotel you choose and then it will be fine.

$100 for breakfast! Wow, they must expect you to eat a lot of caviar. We stayed at the Hilton as well. It was less than $500 and included breakfast.

Also arranged private transport from the port to hotel (we were post-cruise), and it was definitely less than $150.

Doing the Regent pre-cruise or post-cruise packages is rarely a good deal.

Yes, the taxi fares are regulated but we usually arrange for a private transfer for about 50 euros from the airport to Rome and from Rome to port I think is about 130 Euros ( we have used http://www.romecabs.com and http://www.romeinlimo.com. I hate having to wait around until Regent wants to transport me so I would never see as a "good deal" to go with their transport option and hotel.

Thank you all for your insight! I thought my TA's quotes were quite high for what we were receiving. I was more concerned about the feedback on the hotel has been receiving (small small rooms, shoddy service, uncaring help) not a great way to start out the trip of a lifetime!

I will contact me TA tomorrow and cancel the package and take the credit back and do it on our own!

Also, while I have your eyes, if you have to check out of most hotels by 10 or 11 a.m and we don't have to board until 7 p.m., what would you all suggest we do with ourselves and our luggage for 6 or 7+ hours?

We ended our cruise this past summer in Rome and did the hotel and transfers on our own. We stayed at Babuino 181, a small boutique hotel we found on Trip Advisor. It's rated very high and we loved it. We booked transfers ahead of time through www.RomeCabs.com. I highly recommend them. They were wonderful. They took us from the port to our hotel and then when we left Rome, from our hotel to the airport.

Even though you don't HAVE to board till 7 (are you sure about that? It seems awfully late to me.), you should be able to board anytime after noon. By the time you check out in Rome and get to port, it will be after 12. Get on board, eat lunch in la veranda or poolside, then relax and unpack.

Even though you don't HAVE to board till 7 (are you sure about that? It seems awfully late to me.), you should be able to board anytime after noon. By the time you check out in Rome and get to port, it will be after 12. Get on board, eat lunch in la veranda or poolside, then relax and unpack.

RachelG:

I didn't even know that was an option! When I spoke with Regent they told me that we would not need to be on board until 7 p.m. and I just could not figure out what we would do for the day with our luggage if we did want to tour around Rome.

Since the ride to the port is over 1 hour, is there anything closer to the port that we could do from noon to let's say 5 or 6 p.m.?

We use limoinrome for transfers from airport to hotel and then to ship, claudio@limoinrome.com and have also used them for a day tour from the ship, very reliable, very good and I recommend them all the time. Last time we flew into Rome, it took us over an hour to get our luggage and such and when we exited there they were. After an overnight flight it was so nice to see our names on a sign and a smiling driver waiting for us. They then picked us up three days later and took us to the pier.

For hotels, try the Inn at the Spanish Steps as mentioned above, or we stayed at the Ponte Sisto Hotel and loved it. I have also had clients stay at the Inn at the Roman Forum and they raved about it.

Like Rachel, I would recommend just going to the ship and getting onboard and just relaxing. There really isn't much to do around the port, as it is a very commercial port. You can board starting around noon, have lunch at the pool grill or LaVeranda and the suites will be ready around 2:30.

Have a great cruise and pre cruise. Rome is such a wonderful city. Oh.....for restaurants, try Alla Rampa right off the street the Spanish Steps are on. If you get to the Jewish Ghetto area try Da Giggetto (don't miss their fried artichoke and zuchinni blossems). And in all cases, try to eat outside. Great Gelato at Tre Scallini in Piazza Navonna (go to the walk up counter, less expensive and then just walk around the Piazza).

Just checked and there are two Rome to Barcelona cruises in May and they both depart at 8 PM so while what Regent told the OP is true, it is confusing also. Yes, you have to be on board an hour before sailing but, that is cutting things close and not allowing time for delays, unpacking, checking out the ship, and will lead to a very late dinner.

As others said, getting on board around 1 PM or so, having lunch, having your suite available around 2:30, unpacking, muster, and whatever is the best choice.

We departed Seward a year and a half ago and arrived on the train 20 minutes before departure and it was not a fun evening with getting settled, unpacking, sail away, muster, dinner, etc. Get to the port early afternoon and take things slowly and enjoy yourself.

Most hotels here (in Europe) have a noon checkout. Some 11am. I have never heard (or experienced!) a 10am. The Cavalieri was noon when we stayed there.

What I would do is to book a limo to Civitavecchia for noon. Get up late, have a nice breakfast and then check out. Be at the dock around 1pm and have a light lunch either on the pool deck or la Veranda. Suites are normally ready at 2.30pm. Once you are unpacked you could take the Regent shuttle to the gate of the port and walk around the town. It is reasonably small and easy to navigate. Or just sit on your balcony and look at the port activity!

Most hotels here (in Europe) have a noon checkout. Some 11am. I have never heard (or experienced!) a 10am. The Cavalieri was noon when we stayed there.

What I would do is to book a limo to Civitavecchia for noon. Get up late, have a nice breakfast and then check out. Be at the dock around 1pm and have a light lunch either on the pool deck or la Veranda. Suites are normally ready at 2.30pm. Once you are unpacked you could take the Regent shuttle to the gate of the port and walk around the town. It is reasonably small and easy to navigate. Or just sit on your balcony and look at the port activity!

Hambagahle:

Thanks for the advice - believe it or not found a PHENOMENAL rate inclusive of welcome cocktails, full breakfast, taxes on Imperial Level, so believe this is what we will go with! Wouldn't have even checked it without your input:D

Archived