How do I solve a problem like Moorea?

Trixie1001

We will be visiting Moorea during our cruise in April - from 7am till around 5 or 6pm just on the one day. I thought about hiring a car to see the island but there is no way I can drive on the other side of the road AND drive a manual so it will have to be some other form of transportation.

I'm looking for a tour that provides some opportunity for snorkelling (but don't necessarily want to spend 4 hours snorkelling) but also could see some of the island. Will probably never see FP again so trying to see what I can while I can. We plan on snorkelling much more in Bora Bora the next day but would still love to snorkel a bit in Moorea if we can.

So does anyone know of any tours that provide this or is it just 1 or the other? I saw a blog on CC where the passengers wrote about the many tours that were on offer as soon as they got on the TP but then others have written that you have to have your tour sorted because the good ones are so popular so not sure what to do. Initially was just going to wait until we arrived and see what is on offer but now not sure if that is wise??

I have already checked - the only cars left are manual. If I was used to driving on the right side of the road then I would do it, but it's not an option for me due to safety and my DH can't drive because of a vision impairment, hence my post. If anyone has ideas about good tours to take, or if I could just wait until I get there - any ideas would be great :)

I agree with the perfect title you chose for your post! You might want to google for Carl's Tours on Moorea or do a search here on Cruise Critic. Can't personally recommend him, because we haven't taken his tour, but we have read some good reviews of his tours in Papeete and on Moorea and hope to book with him when we cruise there next year. Enjoy those beautiful islands!

I have already checked - the only cars left are manual. If I was used to driving on the right side of the road then I would do it, but it's not an option for me due to safety and my DH can't drive because of a vision impairment, hence my post. If anyone has ideas about good tours to take, or if I could just wait until I get there - any ideas would be great :)

They drive on the same side as we do in the US! The Right Side!!!! Driving around the island is a snap, very little traffic and not too long. We loved going to the Hilton Moorea for the day and snorkeling. Also, try Albert's for car rental and tours. They were very good. I have a bad case of the FP flu!!!

I've just met a girl called Moorea!

Nice touch Fletcher :D.

Trixie,

Perhaps you could contact the resorts and ask if you can spend a day there.

We did the ship's circle Island tour (Tiki village dancers was the big event there).

I'm thinking we might spend the day onboard this time and enjoy the resort on Riveria Deck. Moorea is a tender port too....miles from anywhere.

We went on a Motu picnic with snorkelling that was beautiful however we felt just a bit too long as the boats kept going back and jamming more and more passengers on to the beach... see our blog for an english translation of that paragraph! :)

If I did it again I would do a 4wd guided tour in the morning and then guided lagoon/ snorkelling in the afternoon... PLENTY of tour operators at the pier offering so many options at (no surprise) a much less cost thenn booking on board.

I've just met a girl called Moorea!
:p

Thanks for your replies.

I think I'll just wait until I get there, hoping to grab a land-based tour and maybe do some snorkelling with another - see how it goes :) Otherwise maybe I'll go to the Hilton and snorkel there :)

Archived