Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

The discussion of the Concordia disaster has taken more unplanned detours than the ship itself. Sex will do that.

I believe that our preoccupation with the behavior of the nymphette in question tells us more about ourselves than it does about the legal issues. So far as I know she has not been charged with any crime. She was not in charge of the ship. Although she may have influenced the captain's behavior, she was in no way responsible for it. The captain looks to be a grown man. Whether he acted like one is entirely on his shoulders.

It is not exactly earthshaking news if a young woman (or man) behaves foolishly. Such behavior is not uncommon and not of any other than passing interest. Most of us have made mistakes in youth. The point is to learn from them and not repeat them (why bother? There are plenty of others just as fun).

The captain's behavior is not in the same category. He, not she, was in a position of great responsibility. That's why he, not she, is facing fifteen million years of jail time. The emphasis should not be on the possibly misguided behavior of this ordinary and unspectacular young woman, but on the (perhaps) criminally negligent misuse of the relationship on the part of the captain.

It's also possible that the relationship, whatever it was, may not have been directly or even indirectly responsible for the crash. I suspect that this particular captain was capable of more than one way of behaving idiotically.

In any case the behavior, hair color, fashion sense or derogatory label of the fabulous Moldavian is of only secondary interest. She may have been naive, delusional, infatuated or bimbolicious, but she was not responsible for the lives of the people on that ship. That rests on the captain and the corporation which hired him.

Fancy a sing song Lard http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/reeves-jim/bimbo-18104.html

Tango India, Tango India, Tango India, Life Boat Number 3, according to a crew member statement early on (I believe 14th or 15th of January, meant Injured Person at or near Life Boat number 3. It was not an abandon ship message.

Joanie

If it is the same lifeboat as the one the Captain deserted on, then it was probably due to the fact that he tripped and hurt himself !!!!.... lol

:D:D

The captain - or if he has fallen into one of the lifeboats, the staff captain.
Or if like the Captain the rest of the Officers have left apart from the Junior one left on the bridge then its up to him.....:):)

Dont think they had a 'ships cat' if they did then he more than likely went ashore with the captain ......here pussy pussy.....

lol

:D

Tango India, Tango India, Tango India, Life Boat Number 3, according to a crew member statement early on (I believe 14th or 15th of January, meant Injured Person at or near Life Boat number 3. It was not an abandon ship message.

Joanie

We were told by the cabin steward when this message came over that Lifeboat No 3 was being lowered. He was translating all of the messages for us, this was a long time before the abandon ship message.

I'm blaming the wine and the rock. ;)

Im holding Guiseppe the stevedore responsible, if he had not let go off the rope holding the vessel alongside in Civitavecchia then none of this would have happened.

I heard that the Captain kept women's clothing in his cabin for 'Crossing the line' ceremonies lol....At least that is what he is telling his Misses lol...:):)

mcikey_d, they are sticking with the dates I posted a few weeks back. Now, what is it they expect of you, just to be represented by an attorney or would they rather you be there in person?

I noted the this case involves the Captain and Ciro Ambrosio. I don't remember Ambrosio's part. Guessing an officer on the Bridge?

Hope you are doing well.

Ciro Ambrosio has been cited by the Captain as the one who tripped him up and thus caused him to fall into the lifeboat, its him trying to buck the blame to someone else !!! lol...:cool::cool:

I think some are jumping to the conclusion that wife was not aware of Captain's mistress(s). Given the culture of European men it would seem that mistresses are a fact of life for many. The wife may just have accepted this.

That is a very wide sweeping statement and one that I feel should be withdrawn unless you have the facts to prove it.

:mad:

Mercury ...... sorry for the mix up with what you were saying, I agree that the captain would still be responsible.

Michelle .... the Albanians were passengers and my post was saying they are poorly paid in their own country.

I heard that they were 'Big issue' vendors from Bolton, any truth on that rumour ? lol

:D:D

I'm back! (Try to contain your excitement :D)

I took some comments personally, but having been back to read new posts I saw that they weren't directed at me but at anyone presenting a dissenting view.

(But I do think that the ignore function is for people who are abusive or obnoxious, not for those with a different opinion)

It's my considered opinion that Domnica's presence and actions went far beyond dining companion and had a causal connection with the Captain's civil, criminal, and/or moral guilt in the Concordia disaster and she shares some of the culpabilty.

I realize that others disagree with that opinion but that doesn't remove it from the catagory of on topic discusssion.

You are entitled to that opinion, of course. But unless you are consistent, you're revealing prejudice.

If Domnica was present on the bridge, was a distraction and you feel that makes her culpable in the case...

...then you should also consider the maitre d' and the purser culpable.

They have already been named as possible distractions by an officer on the bridge. (according to the Italian press)

Strangely, although the names are flying in connection with Domnica, I haven`t heard any bandied about for those two. (Except hero, of course)

Às usual, I`m waiting for verification about the Moldovian testimony.

Again, I don`t trust the media and there are enough inconsistencies and possible alternative explanations to sow a reasonable doubt in my mind.

If you are interested in my logic:

As usual, the English language stories cite the Italian press, notably La Repubblica, as the source. We don`t have access to the actual newspaper, only the online stories. But if you go there, the story is much more vague than the English language interpretations.

In La Repubblica, there are two stories online. One mentions Domnica arriving at the police station in hoodie and dark glasses, where she is deposed.

The next story alludes to some of this deposition and mentions the articles allegedly found in the Captain`s quarters.

First off, who leaks this information?

The story mentions clothing, a cosmetic case, and clothing being found in the Captain`s quarters. As clothing is mentioned as two separate items, obviously google translator isn`t up for the task! In the English language stories, the clothing is claimed to be a different variety of clothing in each story, ranging from dresses and racy lingerie to a suitcase and a bikini.

The inconsistencies lead me to distrust the English language stories.

In the first English story I read, she was quoted as saying that she loved the captain. The next one wrote that she was in love with the captain. (Not the same thing...I adored my Shakespeare prof and took every course he taught, but trust me...my intentions were not romantic!) When you go back to the La Repubblica story, it`s vague, vague, vague.

Again, inconsistent. And I haven`t read anywhere that she admitted to sleeping with Schettino.

I`m also taking in account that Domnica arrived on board just hours before the incident. And that there is the chance the Captain`s 16-year-old daughter may have left his quarters a few hours before that.

Not saying Domnica did or didn`t. Just saying that I don`t think we`ve been shown convincing evidence either way.

You know I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter if there was a full mariachi band on the bridge...if Schettino screwed up because he was distracted, it doesn't matter to me who distracted him. If something disasterous happened during a bridge tour, I wouldn't blame the people on the bridge tour for distracting the officers! I'd blame the officers for allowing themselves to be distracted.

"I heard that they were 'Big issue' vendors from Bolton, any truth on that rumour ? lol"

davyj .... If you read it in the scum or the daily sheep dip then it must be! you appear to have better info than me... :cool:

"I heard that they were 'Big issue' vendors from Bolton, any truth on that rumour ? lol"

davyj .... If you read it in the scum or the daily sheep dip then it must be! you appear to have better info than me... :cool:

Being found on that ship has certainly buggered up his housing benefit claims

I`m also taking in account that Domnica arrived on board just hours before the incident. And that there is the chance the Captain`s 16-year-old daughter may have left his quarters a few hours before that.

Not saying Domnica did or didn`t. Just saying that I don`t think we`ve been shown convincing evidence either way.

Ahhhhhh, now there's a thought. Something that didn't really occur to me. It is something I haven't been thinking too much about as I generally see all these details (eg: description of articles of clothing found in the cabin etc) as embellishment to sell papers & am not too sure about their veracity.

Not sure his daughter's articles would be in his cabin, but, I would say there is a possibility they could belong to his wife. She will be a regular visitor & may leave a few bits & pieces behind for 'next time'?

(I also think it doesn't matter one way or another in the scheme of things. It was ultimately the responsibility of the Captain & his officers. Just that if it is true, then this catastrophe caused him to be caught out & added to his woes.)

Something for you to ponder people, Schettino is said to have been having dinner in the Costa Club restaurant which i believe is way back on Deck 11 ... how long with all the people he would have to pass to get to the bridge which i think is on deck 8 do you think it would take?

jrosati .... Government spy are you?

Something for you to ponder people, Schettino is said to have been having dinner in the Costa Club restaurant which i believe is way back on Deck 11 ... how long with all the people he would have to pass to get to the bridge which i think is on deck 8 do you think it would take?

jrosati .... Government spy are you?

I don't know the lay out of Concordia but on many cruise ships the Captain could go from the Dining Room to the Bridge and not encounter any passengers (only crew) by taking service elevators and corridors.

We used to call them "Jethros" :D

The Off Topic thing first. Max Baer Jr. is my 3rd cousin and really was a very smart man. He just played a dumb man for the show Beverly Hillbillys:) He was so smart he knew he'd make more money if he played a dumb bumbling oaf of a poor educated man:)

Back on topic now for one thought that has been going over and over in my mind since the Moldavian woman's presence came to light as being on the bridge.....

What if and I repeat What IF she actually was at the controls of the ship?? What if Schettino let her take the controls???

I know this will make no difference as to his guilt or not since the ship was his to command no matter who was at the helm. BUT what if.............................

Joanie

You are entitled to that opinion, of course. But unless you are consistent, you're revealing prejudice.

If Domnica was present on the bridge, was a distraction and you feel that makes her culpable in the case...

...then you should also consider the maitre d' and the purser culpable.

They have already been named as possible distractions by an officer on the bridge. (according to the Italian press)

Strangely, although the names are flying in connection with Domnica, I haven`t heard any bandied about for those two. (Except hero, of course)

Hi There, welcome back.

Considering all the surrounding circumstances and reports of Domnica spending her vacation on the ship, seen having dinner & wine with the Captain, admitting she was on the bridge (after dinner), admitting she's in love with the Captain, clothing in Captain's cabin et. al, leads me to believe that is is likely that they would have been on the bridge as a couple and not with her as a casual visitor.

As another poster pointed out, a man driving a car with his date sitting in his lap makes them both culpable, obviously in different degrees. That's why I've formed an opinion that it is les likely to subject her to criminal prosecution than him. But that doesn't absolve her from punishment imposed by public opinion.

That's why I believe that there should be a world wide ban on use of alcohol or drugs (with periodic testing) and a no co-habitation rule by senior officers during their contract, 24/7 which is seems to be opposed by some of our maritime posters.

John

That's a scary thought but quite possible. If Ms. Elly May was at the helm we'll soon find out. There were other officers who will testify if this actually happened. I wish we could see the inquiry transcripts in real time.

The Off Topic thing first. Max Baer Jr. is my 3rd cousin and really was a very smart man. He just played a dumb man for the show Beverly Hillbillys:) He was so smart he knew he'd make more money if he played a dumb bumbling oaf of a poor educated man:)

Back on topic now for one thought that has been going over and over in my mind since the Moldavian woman's presence came to light as being on the bridge.....

What if and I repeat What IF she actually was at the controls of the ship?? What if Schettino let her take the controls???

I know this will make no difference as to his guilt or not since the ship was his to command no matter who was at the helm. BUT what if.............................

Joanie

Which is why the term is a "Jethro" and not a "Max Baer Jr." :D

Again off topic, but what did the family think of the portrayal of Max Baer Sr. in "Cinderella Man"?

I'm sure that would have come up in the testimony of the officers. And I can't think of any reason why he would do that...any more than if he gave the controls to the maitre d'.

Archived