Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Is this right?????

I believe I heard/read that all major hands-on work on the wreck by the salvage team will stop now for a few days and a search will be conducted for the two missing persons. (My understanding is that the body search must be done by the Italian Coast Guard.)

Is this right? Or did I get my info mixed up??:confused:

Judy

As we all thought, Russell's brother was on the island. Whilst he seems to have comes to terms that a body may not be found he still has that tiny bit of hope.

http://www.itv.com/news/2013-09-17/brother-of-costa-corcordia-victim-hopeful-to-find-remains/

Maria's husband was also there.

For both these families, I hope that sometime in the next few days they can get the closure they need.

Hi SB

I read somewhere that they thought that Maria and Russel were trapped in a lifeboat underneath the wreck. However I haven't seen any evidence of a lifeboat since PB and surely they know whether there is a missing lifeboat.

My thoughts are with the families onshore waiting for news and to the people tasked with the job of finding the remains of Maria and Russel.

I would hope now that that once the wreck is secured the salvage workers will be allowed a couple of weeks away and let the authorities do their work in looking for Maria and Russel and starting the work on retrieving the belongings of the passengers. Wont there also be a lot of survey and design work to carry out for the making and fitting of the caissons for the starboard side as well as fitting the remaining caissons to the port side.

Edited by clive and anne

I crawled the web up and down for the best photos of the PB. The Giglio webcams we knew for many months were after all not up for the job.

Knowing how the media work, I first had a look at major news or picture agencies (Reuters, AFP, Getty and such like). Once you know the name of the photographer you can enter this and the agency name into your favourite search engine, and voila, you find news portals around the world who licensed these photos and display them on their own respective websites in good resolution.

Remarkably good were Australian websites (most of them had also licensed the Reuters video feed), surprisingly poor were many American sites. The best one I could find was bizarrely the UK's Daily Mail, referenced a few contribs back on here. Credit for whom credit is due, even if it is a highly controversial newspaper otherwise (which I normally wouldn't touch with bare hands).

Another break of conventional media traditions was Reuters who had the best live video feed and opened it to the general public. This internet thing brings us closer to the source of information, the role of the journalist changes dramatically these days.

Many news portals had (and still have) highly speculative reporting, stuff we have known here on this very thread much better for a long time in much more detail.

As earlier mentioned, it looks to me as if CC is listing ever so slightly to the right. Shouldn't be a problem really, but it's visible. And we now know how little of the caissons remains above the water line, only the taller P6, P10 are visible.

Plenty of rooms/decks are now properly accessible as they are above water, but also many are now under water which previously had stayed dry for all this time.

Hi SB

I read somewhere that they thought that Maria and Russel were trapped in a lifeboat underneath the wreck. However I haven't seen any evidence of a lifeboat since PB and surely they know whether there is a missing lifeboat.

My thoughts are with the families onshore waiting for news and to the people tasked with the job of finding the remains of Maria and Russel.

I would hope now that that once the wreck is secured the salvage workers will be allowed a couple of weeks away and let the authorities do their work in looking for Maria and Russel and starting the work on retrieving the belongings of the passengers. Wont there also be a lot of survey and design work to carry out for the making and fitting of the caissons for the starboard side as well as fitting the remaining caissons to the port side.

They will indeed spend sometime now with the review of the stbd side and deciding what stabilizing and reinforcing it will need and how the supports for the attachment of the cassions.

There is a lot of engineering work to be done.

AKK

As has been noted already, the severe damage to the cabin superstructure, which is lightly built is not the big issue. The question is how much damage the hull, which is now under the water, has taken.

It will easily take until spring to get this part of the recovery done.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Maybe they were pinned under something in the ship.

I still can't get over the side. I wonder what the part under the water looks like.

If their bodies were in either of the crushed sections they probably won't be found until the ship is being cut up for scrap.

It is possible that the hull is not nearly as damaged as the superstructure. When the ship capsized, it did not land in the position we are all familiar with. It went over a full 90 degrees with the hull floating fairly high in the water. I saved this pic that I found the day after the sinking. It was only the superstructure crashing onto the two pinnicles of rock that kept the CC from capsizing completely. After rolling over, the hull continued to flood and the ship settled into the 65 degree position. It also slid down the face of the rock which caused decks in the crushed areas to be displaced upward as we have seen in the pictures. If the ship had not impaled herself on the rocks, she would have slid into the deep and the disaster would have been much worse.

costa-concordiaINFRARED1.jpg.d6620e2905288d7b4cbc820783f0f124.jpg

Is the superstructure made from aluminium? I dont see any rust where it contacted with the rocks. There does appear to eb some rust along different sections but if there is no rust on the contact points, either its made from alloy or that damage was done during the PB yesterday?

I also note some say it should all be scrapped. Yes, it should, its a wreck. But from Costas pont of view, there are bits that would fit the other ships of class, such as balcony screens, perfectly fit to use again on the upper side, it would be senseless to destroy them. I'm sure there are many other parts that could be re-used (in our modern eco friendly world).

Is the superstructure made from aluminium? I dont see any rust where it contacted with the rocks. There does appear to eb some rust along different sections but if there is no rust on the contact points, either its made from alloy or that damage was done during the PB yesterday?

I also note some say it should all be scrapped. Yes, it should, its a wreck. But from Costas pont of view, there are bits that would fit the other ships of class, such as balcony screens, perfectly fit to use again on the upper side, it would be senseless to destroy them. I'm sure there are many other parts that could be re-used (in our modern eco friendly world).

Morning,

I would imagine that some of the superstructure is of alloy and aluminum, but most of the *lighter* weight is just from lesser gauge/lighter steel structural pieces.

There is a lot of the wreck that will be recycled. The steel will be the largest part, all cut into varying sizes and hauled off to be smelted down into new products. The other metals, copper from the wire and electrical parts, aluminum, bronze, brass and stainless, all reusable.

Not to mention the plastics that can be shuddered and remelted into new products as well.

Some parts maybe reused on other vessels. Some mechanical equipment match's other of the Italian yard build vessels, including the Carnival Splendor. Anchor chains, anchors, and others thing will be reused.

However, there will still be many things that end up burned/dumped in a landfill.

AKK

Hi SB

Hello Clive.

I have heard the same about the lifeboat. What I can't recall is if it has ever been mentioned that a lifeboat is not accounted for.

I gather there was some studying of the ship yesterday. I also read that the sediment kicked up in the parbuckle has to settle before divers can get in the water and really look at the ship.

Hi SB

Since I wrote that a few hours ago I discovered that it was our old friend Sidari that I had read who spoke about the lifeboat.

I'm sure that after the workload of the last few months all the salvagers and welders etc need a break to recharge the batteries especially Nick Sloane and his team, one can only guess at the pressure he and them suffered on Monday and the days and weeks before.

They have the chance now whilst everything settles down and the search team try and find Marie and Russel as well as repatriate passengers personal belongings.The engineers survey the starboard side and design the flotation solution.

One thing I have a question about. The port side lower decks was out of the water for 20 months, why didn't they attempt to clear those cabins of the possessions before the PB put them under water?

One thing I have a question about. The port side lower decks was out of the water for 20 months, why didn't they attempt to clear those cabins of the possessions before the PB put them under water?

Maybe it would have been too difficult because of the angle of the ship. It would have required ropes and climbing gear.

With regard to the two missing people it could be that the media say lifeboats when in fact they could be the life rafts many of which did not get used.

I doubt that they would have tried to get into the cabins to empty the Port side due to the weight of the cabin doors which could quite easily kill somone if it closed when it was not expected to due to the weight of them, it could be that they have sealed the cabins on the Port side that are now below water.

Once they get it to a shipyard wherever that will be i think that is when they will begin to empty the cabins and repatriate the belongings.

Once they get it to a shipyard wherever that will be i think that is when they will begin to empty the cabins and repatriate the belongings.

I read somewhere over the last three/four days or so that they will first go through CC and hand over whatever they sensibly can to official Italian agencies.

Also with ref to what BeardedEng said, difficult to enter cabins, yes. But they did manage to build entire horizontal floors into CC for some of their workshops etc. Would they not have found a safe way how to get into cabins?

Earlier thoughts were about reusable parts. Lets not forget the main diesels, big, not much used, surely they can be refurbished?

One thing is for sure, this project is far from over.

Mike ... At a guess i would say that other than searching cabins early on for people getting clothes etc out during the salvage work would have been low or at the bottom of the list.

The platform floors after all were built so that the people could work safely without having to walk or kneel at a crazy angle.

Don't know if I dreamt this or read it somewhere. After this last few days its probably the former, but I hear they are going to clean all the mud and silt off the starboard side. What would be the purpose of that please.

To see the extent of the damages to the structural steel. Also if they are going to do any welding or cutting in the area, they cannot have slime and mud all over it.

Its not hard to do, just like a power washer at home.

AKK

Hi Tonka .... how are you ? looking more at the pictures it looks like a lot of damage but when you consider taking away the damage of the Balconies which are made of lighter steel which have been pushed upwards by the scraping on the rock the actual body of the upper superstructure of the ship does not look too bad considering the time it has been under water.

Since the sponsons on the port side were all attached to the hull with nothing attached to the superstructure I can't imagine them doing anything to repair the damage we can see. Any repairs will be done underwater to the hull. The underwater welders are going to be very busy for the next few months. Also, if you look at the computer generated images of the steps of the project, they are going to take the chains that went from the port side under the ship to the towers and attach them to the starboard side sponsons with strand jacks to take up the slack. Then the chains will carry the load like a sling and they will not have to rely on the welded connections on the starboard side to carry all the weight when they refloat the ship.

Hi Tonka .... how are you ? looking more at the pictures it looks like a lot of damage but when you consider taking away the damage of the Balconies which are made of lighter steel which have been pushed upwards by the scraping on the rock the actual body of the upper superstructure of the ship does not look too bad considering the time it has been under water.

Monday, I was a bit worried about you Buddy, I didn't see you Monday and after all we have been at this since the start!:D

I know your point, but take a closer look, to me it looks like at the areas of the crushed balconies, the entire vertical bulkhead and glass doors are set in a good deal!

AKK

Since the sponsons on the port side were all attached to the hull with nothing attached to the superstructure I can't imagine them doing anything to repair the damage we can see. Any repairs will be done underwater to the hull. The underwater welders are going to be very busy for the next few months. Also, if you look at the computer generated images of the steps of the project, they are going to take the chains that went from the port side under the ship to the towers and attach them to the starboard side sponsons with strand jacks to take up the slack. Then the chains will carry the load like a sling and they will not have to rely on the welded connections on the starboard side to carry all the weight when they refloat the ship.

They are still going to want to take a good look at the damaged superstructure if for no under reason then to make sure they don't need to strengthen it to prevent things falling off. One things the salvage crews don't do is leave things to chance.......they will take a good look.

I don't believe they will be able to tow the vessel anywhere unless those sponsons are firmly secured/welded to the hull. Hanging from chains can help but will not work alone.

Did I misunderstand what you posted?

AKK

I don't believe they will be able to tow the vessel anywhere unless those sponsons are firmly secured/welded to the hull. Hanging form chains would not work.

Did I misunderstand what you posted?

AKK

Yes you did. I did not mean to imply they would not be welded to the starboard side. I said they they would not have to rely on the starboard welds to carry all the weight.