Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Very interesting MM. I seem to remember one of the first preparatory tasks was to remove rare items and farm them in another area and to bring them back to Giglio when everything has been cleared away.

I do keep reading that there is a debate going on as to whether to keep the platform as a diving platform. Not sure what effect that would have on the re planting operation.

I suppose that the bow which had to have that huge "collar" fitted could have settled with the weight of that collar. The intention was to raise her 2 metres around 6/7 feet so I suppose such a small amount might not be so noticeable in the scheme of things.

I'm sure Cheng used to answer these questions much better.

Very interesting MM. I seem to remember one of the first preparatory tasks was to remove rare items and farm them in another area and to bring them back to Giglio when everything has been cleared away.

I do keep reading that there is a debate going on as to whether to keep the platform as a diving platform. Not sure what effect that would have on the re planting operation.

I suppose that the bow which had to have that huge "collar" fitted could have settled with the weight of that collar. The intention was to raise her 2 metres around 6/7 feet so I suppose such a small amount might not be so noticeable in the scheme of things.

I'm sure Cheng used to answer these questions much better.

You are correct. Things were removed and notations of the areas made so they could be replaced.

The platform has caused a lot of discussions. The last I heard the people of Giglio wanted them gone. Concern is long term effects and/or possible maintenance.

a lot of new Photos and videos uploaded to the Project portion of the Parbuckling website

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/multimedia.php?cat=progetto

This particular album shows how the stern has been refloated almost 2 decks. Not sure if the Bow will follow or not.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/multimedia_detail.php?eid=UEQCEwdeA2sEPwAz&cat=progetto&type=images

20photo%203.JPG

Edited by lightman1984

Did she slide away from shore a bit as she was lifted or was that an illusion from a camera that was taking pictures from another ship. Just found it was the BBC footage, wow she moved a lot. I wonder if the bow is settling now some because she is trying to find her equilibrium now that she is floating again? I am sure it is quite a balancing act raising her to a stable level position.

Not forgetting what a tragedy this was, I have found the engineering behind raising her fascinating.

Cg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cgolf1

Dont know Telkin, might just be a day of consolidation sorting the chains and cables out.

Just found this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2691022/Two-years-Costa-Concordia-raised-Doomed-cruise-ship-set-refloated-towed-away-scrapped.html

It gives me hope that there is still a chance of finding Russell when the areas are cleared.

Last night we passed a quarter of a million views on this thread. thank you to everyone who has conributed in a friendly, helpful way and to all those that use the thread as a way of keeping up with what is happening.

Excellent link C&A! I'm not morbid, but the engineer in me is fascinated to see inside the ship and I very much hope they document the scrapping of her. It's the engineer in me I guess.

Thanks Morgan. Someone asked me yesterday what they are going to re-use on the ship. I said nothing. However I sadly expect 'souvenirs' to be sold off by some dishonest people wanting to make a buck.

Clive ... I had just read the Mail article prior to logging in and It is interesting to see the differences in the pictures of areas that had been underwater against those that were dry and on the Port side of the ship. Some look like you could just walk in and carry on as if nothing had ever happened, really strange.

The next two days will be spent positioning the starboard sponsons correctly and attaching chains for securing and towing. I think 'phase 3' of the process (lifting her up) will begin around Thursday. So there won't be much to see for the moment.

Of some of the major US news networks I found this video as one the best, with some commentary from Nick Sloane

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/two-and-a-half-years-later-costa-concordia-finally-refloated/[/url] Edited by lightman1984

Nick Sloane going aboard and lots of good onboard gear footage. Love the size of that air manifold!
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kczc08ktqSc[/url]

A promo piece by the guys who own the Conquest has some great drone photography. Is that Nick Sloane at 1:10 signaling the crane?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4R0-H6K2k[/url]

Really enjoying (I know that's not the right word, considering the tragic nature of the sinking) the amazing engineering and care that has gone into the entire operation. Nick Sloane is the MAN! Thanks for all the links and updates, everyone. I was on a four-day RCI cruise to Cozumel when this all happened. Didn't know about it until we got back that Monday morning. Have been fascinated by it ever since.

According to their twitter feed, work has continued all night and there are only 4 more chains to connect. No mention of setting the sponsons so I assume its been completed.

Could they be lifting her tomorrow at this rate?

Does anyone know how they adjusted the starboard sponsons? I'd be curious to know. Edited by telken22

[quote name='lightman1984']Of some of the major US news networks I found this video as one the best, with some commentary from Nick Sloane

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/two-and-a-half-years-later-costa-concordia-finally-refloated/[/url][/QUOTE]

$1.5 billion spent so far. The total cost according to that report will be at least $2.0 billion dollars! :eek: