Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

According to my local ABC station, roughly 2/3rds of the fuel has been pumped off......I'm hoping they get the rest of it before it sinks! :o

- DCLfan13

So they are on time! The dangers of a natural catastrophe is shrinking a lot. Very good, sounds like Smit is doing a good job there.

So very sad.

It brings the whole the whole hideous disaster fresh to the front of our minds again, not that it ever went away :(

It IS sad, very very sad. But at least they were found and their families might be allowed some closure now.

I was referring to driving the propellers. In each case they are driven by electric motors - inboard on most ships, in the azipod on Vista class ships. That doesn't affect the points I made about powering those motors.

VP

How do you "know" this?

You were wrong about the CLASS of ship, you overlooked the CONCORDIA not having AZIPODS. Maybe, also, a different system was used to power the bow thrusters than the one you outlined.

You were wrong about the CLASS of ship, you overlooked the CONCORDIA not having AZIPODS. Maybe, also, a different system was used to power the bow thrusters than the one you outlined.

At no point did I state that Costa Concordia was a Vista class ship. At no point did I state that Concordia was driven by azipods. Thus I was not wrong. The attack on me on those points is unjustified. Re-read my posts.

I stated that in my opinion it was very likely that Costa Concordia's bow thrusters were powered from the main HV bus. If they were powered by a different system then I will a) have learnt something new and b) would want to understand why.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

It would be nice to think that Costa/CCL felt each of these losses as much as we fellow cruisers do. Instead of worrying more about low little of a settlement they can come away with!

The management of any corporation has a FIDUCIARY responsibility to their SHAREHOLDERS to make as much money as is LEGALLY possible. They often have to walk a thin line between appearing incredibly CHEAP and UNFAIR (thereby risking alienating present and future customers) or OVERLY GENEROUS (thereby alienating them from the people they work for, the stockholders). THat's where the court system comes into play. When the two sides can't reach agreement presumably the courts will decide what is fair and equitable.

How do you "know" this?

At no point did I state that Costa Concordia was a Vista class ship. At no point did I state that Concordia was driven by azipods. Thus I was not wrong. The attack on me on those points is unjustified. Re-read my posts.

I stated that in my opinion it was very likely that Costa Concordia's bow thrusters were powered from the main HV bus. If they were powered by a different system then I will a) have learnt something new and b) would want to understand why.

VP

I apologize if you thought I was "attacking" you. I was just pointing out what I thought were relevant facts as to whether or not you were able to know that the CONCORDIA didn't have an auxiliary power system for the bow thrusters. Maybe its normally run off the 6 main diesels and this is an additional power source? I certainly don't know.

I still don't know how you knew this? :confused:

Edited by glrounds

Since y'all are suppose to be the news only thread I thought I would share this bit of news.

I finally figured out how to advance the sketch pictures the rescuers worked from today. Had to click on each picture, not the >> to advance them so keep that in mind.

http://www.repubblica.it/

Now, if you want to see them, you have to go to home page in link. Scroll down to Concordia article. You'll see

Le piantine dei soccorrituri

Click on that and with any luck you'll see the sketches.

I'm trying to figure out if the X marks they have mean a bank of 3 elevators. If so, that places them near the theater area of the ship.

In another sketch, it looks like they only indicate doors for 2 elevators.

VP

through your information you implied ! For CC'ers who do not have any nautical / maritime knowledge it would implied that what you are saying is towards the Costa Concordia. Its not a case of 'if' 'if' if' and not 'it was'

The attack on you is, in my view, not unjustified, as you have implied it through you own words.

regards#

:)

I apologize if you thought I was "attacking" you. I was just pointing out what I thought were relevant facts as to whether or not you were able to know that the CONCORDIA didn't have an auxiliary power system for the bow thrusters. Maybe its normally run off the 6 main diesels and this is an additional power source? I certainly don't know.

I still don't know how you knew this? :confused:

I feel that you dont have a need to apologise, it is through his own words that he has implied various information regarding the Costa Concordia, i.e. why bring up azipods when its a basic propellored system, why bring up vista class when it wasnt.

Not stand your ground, he has been adding mis-leading information at a time when it is not needed.

regards

I feel that you dont have a need to apologise, it is through his own words that he has implied various information regarding the Costa Concordia, i.e. why bring up azipods when its a basic propellored system, why bring up vista class when it wasnt.

Not stand your ground, he has been adding mis-leading information at a time when it is not needed.

regards

I think you are being harsh. Vampire Parrot posted a power system from a Vista class ship, I brought up the fact that Concordia isn't, and they acknowledged that they knew that. All they were trying to do was show an example of a cruise ship power system. It may have been misleading, but there is no need for the quite frankly rude comments Vampire Parrot has received.

Regarding the original point, the power system for traditional propulsion and pod based propulsion is actually similar. There are different power requirements, but they both involve power going to two areas, whether it be the two azipods or two traditional propulsion motors. Also, the bow thrusters on cruise ships come from the main generators, as does the power for the main propellers.

Edited by littlesteelo

The management of any corporation has a FIDUCIARY responsibility to their SHAREHOLDERS to make as much money as is LEGALLY possible. They often have to walk a thin line between appearing incredibly CHEAP and UNFAIR (thereby risking alienating present and future customers) or OVERLY GENEROUS (thereby alienating them from the people they work for, the stockholders). THat's where the court system comes into play. When the two sides can't reach agreement presumably the courts will decide what is fair and equitable.

Well stated!!! Good post!

I think you are being harsh.

I quite agree. Whether or not the technical information ofered by VP is 100% corrrect , or not, my reading is that his information was offered in good faith, & I'm certainly not in a position to judge. However, I do welcome posts with insightful information from those who have real working experience in the cruise ship industry and find it irritating if genuine contributions are 'attacked' in an unnecessarily personalised way.

Edited by Hebersgyll

I think you are being harsh. Vampire Parrot posted a power system from a Vista class ship, I brought up the fact that Concordia isn't, and they acknowledged that they knew that. All they were trying to do was show an example of a cruise ship power system. It may have been misleading, but there is no need for the quite frankly rude comments Vampire Parrot has received.

Regarding the original point, the power system for traditional propulsion and pod based propulsion is actually similar. There are different power requirements, but they both involve power going to two areas, whether it be the two azipods or two traditional propulsion motors. Also, the bow thrusters on cruise ships come from the main generators, as does the power for the main propellers.

I am not being harsh, I am stating fact, I stated that the ship was azipod and that it turned quicker, if I hadnt of posted that then it might not have been picked up by those without any maritime/nautical knowledge.

Do you want me not to point out 'inaccuracies'

regards

I quite agree. Whether or not the technical information ofered by VP is 100% corrrect , or not, my reading is that his information was offered in good faith, & I'm certainly not in a position to judge. However, I do welcome posts with insightful information from those who have real working experience in the cruise ship industry and find it irritating if genuine contributions are 'attacked' in an unnecessarily personalised way.

His information was passed in relation to the incident concerning the Costa Concordia and therefore, in my view, was misleading. My experience may not be as good as his, its only 22 years in Search and Rescue, but what the heck do I know !!!!:):)

Information that I receive has to be disSected, I have to figure out what is the 'Red herring' and what is true. The information being promulgated, in my view, does not relate to the Costa Concordia.

rgds

rgds

I don't think Costa/CCL is in ANY danger of appearing overly generous! :rolleyes:

If they had come anywhere close to walking a line between the two I don't think they would be getting near the flack they are currently taking. Instead they went all the way to incredibly cheap.....

I am not being harsh, I am stating fact, I stated that the ship was azipod and that it turned quicker, if I hadnt of posted that then it might not have been picked up by those without any maritime/nautical knowledge.

Do you want me not to point out 'inaccuracies'

regards

If you read earlier, after VP posted the image, I pointed the fact it was not a Vista class, and Concordia did not have pods. VP the confirmed that they knew this and said that the power systems are actually similar, which they are. While that was not clear by any means in VP's initial post, it certainly was in their response to my comment.

What was unnecessary was the quite nasty comments afterwards, such as this from yourself:

You are joking arent you? There is a total difference between azimuth and standard propulsion. With Azi's you dont need rudders and the turning cycle is greatly improved upon standard propulsion.

The members on here would like to know what happened to the Costa concordia and it does little to get to the facts when you cloud it with 'mis-information whilst trying to score or make snide remarks about others.

That was completely uncalled for. VP was not trying to 'score' or make 'snide remarks', they were simply trying to add an interesting piece of information to the discussion.

Edited by littlesteelo

Repubblica reports the names of those who are potentially also culpable:

Link: http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/22/news/inchiesta-30325978/

Translation of article (via Microsoft translator):

The Prosecutor's Office of Grosseto is sending notices to guarantee to persons accused of manslaughter, shipwreck and omission of maritime authorities are notified. It would be seven among the ship's officers and employees of the coast. Among them Roberto Ferrarini, head of the crisis unit which called dozens of times to Commander Schettino on the evening of the shipwreck.

The inquiry into the sinking of the lily widens and also involves the vertices of Costa Crociere. The Prosecutor's Office of Grosseto is sending warnings, that would be seven. In the register of suspects there are officers who were in the facia on the evening of the shipwreck Coast and employees, including Executive Vice President. These people are going to add to the master Francisco Schettino, that at the moment it is placed under house arrest, and one of his Deputy Ciro Ambrosio, suspect on the loose.

The new suspects are Roberto Ferrarini (head of the crisis unit of Costa Cruises), Manfred Ursprunger (executive vice President, fleet operation of coast), Paolo Parodi (fleet superintendent of coast) and officers Andrea Bongiovanni, Roberto Bosio, Silvia Coronica and Salvatore Ursinus. The reasons that led the Prosecutor to Grosseto in placing these people in the register of suspects are in errors in approach manoeuvre to Lily who er ain dashboard and emergency management failures in leaders of the crisis unit .

The Prosecutor's Office by January 13, the day of the disaster, he listened to lots of people, in particular the officers present in the facia on the night of the disaster, but also other employees of the owner as the men of the task force for emergencies. Also Pierluigi Foschi, CEO of Coast was heard from pm work in recent days. The next will take place on 3 March in Grosseto the evidential incident during which will be granted various experts the task

read the data from the black box. Theoretically can participate all over 4 thousand parts offenses, including the Costa Crociere, in addition of course to suspects with their lawyers.

The owner said in a statement it says some of the "professional competence and ethical correctness" of its employees who work in the hours following this serious incident with the highest professionalism and dedication ". While the renewed confidence in the judiciary, he adds: "The establishment of truth is essential for Justice to be done first victims but also towards our crew and the company itself. The inclusion of cabin crew and ground in the register of suspects we believe is due to the need to provide legal guarantees for every citizen, especially in view of the celebration of the accident evidence which will take place in the coming days ".

If you read earlier, after VP posted the image, I pointed the fact it was not a Vista class, and Concordia did not have pods. VP the confirmed that they knew this and were trying to show an example of a power system on a cruise ship. That sounds just fine to me.

What was unnecessary was the quite nasty comments afterwards, such as this from yourself:

You are joking arent you? There is a total difference between azimuth and standard propulsion. With Azi's you dont need rudders and the turning cycle is greatly improved upon standard propulsion.

The members on here would like to know what happened to the Costa concordia and it does little to get to the facts when you cloud it with 'mis-information whilst trying to score or make snide remarks about others.

That was completely uncalled for. VP was not trying to 'score' or make 'snide remarks', they were simply trying to add an interesting piece of information to the discussion.

This was fact. Azipods, rudders etc.

The information given previously by the poster did not indicated that Costa Concordia was not a visa class.

People on here are here to gain information, information that its factual. If you joined the site with no nautical knowledge then you would have bene mis-led !!.

He initially implied through his post that the Vessel was Azipod fitted, he failed to advised readers that there was a distinct difference between normal standard propulsion and Azipods.

As promised, a picture showing how electrical power is distributed to the various electrical buses on a Vista-class cruise ship.

The six main diesel generators power the 11KV bus, XA872A and XA872B

Transformers power the 690V buses XA872C, XA872D, XA873A, XA873C from the 11KV buses. The 11KV bus cannot be powered from the 690V buses.

The EDG (Emergency Diesel Generator) at the top right only powers the 690V buses. If it's the only generator running then the 11KV bus will not be powered. It can power the main 690V buses via breakers 909, 309 and 410.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showp...hp?photo=23370

The next picture shows how the propulsion units are powered.

The azipods and bow thrusters BT1, BT2, BT3 are powered from the 11KV buses. The azipods also take power from the 690V buses for the exciters.

Each bow thruster can draw up to 1.9MW. Each azipod can draw 17.6MW.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showp...hp?photo=23371

Now tell me this isnt 'mis-information. Can the poster

A. Confirm that the Costa Concordia was fitted with these Azipods

B. Confirm that the costa concordia was fitted with these generators

C. Did she have these generators?

D. Did she have these transformers?

I maintain that I have not been harsh and that I am attempting to pass true information not mis-information.

regards

I don't think Costa/CCL is in ANY danger of appearing overly generous! :rolleyes:

If they had come anywhere close to walking a line between the two I don't think they would be getting near the flack they are currently taking. Instead they went all the way to incredibly cheap.....

Their stockholders will appreciate that. The courts will ascertain what is OBJECTIVELY "incredibly cheap" as well.