Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

If one wants to consider peace time disasters look at the "Empress of Ireland" http://www.pbs.org/lostliners/empress.html One of the greatest disasters of all, and mostly forgotten. Regards.

'Cruise ferry', as it was described, with name Estonia sank in the Baltic Sea in 1994. 852 lives were lost. Majority of them passengers from Sweden who were on 2-night cruise from Stockholm, Sweden to Tallinn, Estonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M/S_Estonia

'Cruise ferry', as it was described, with name Estonia sank in the Baltic Sea in 1994. 852 lives were lost. Majority of them passengers from Sweden who were on 2-night cruise from Stockholm, Sweden to Tallinn, Estonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M/S_Estonia

However, sad though the Concordia is - this really brings things into perspective. Divers well....

Have noted 1914 not 1994

Now confused as to date I apologise!

Edited by gedam
different facts

However, sad though the Concordia is - this really brings things into perspective. Divers well....

Have noted 1914 not 1994

Now confused as to date I apologise!

I was college student living in Helsinki, Finland when this Estonia disaster happened in 1994 just some 200 miles from Helsinki. A friend on mine was onboard one of the ships participating the rescue operation. They were able to get some survivors onboard.

I have been reading the Costa Concordia threads in CC since January 14, curious if somebody remembers this one but I gave up now and posted...

Empress of Ireland sank in 1914, Estonia in 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M/S_Estonia#Sinking

Edited by pantalon
Updated link

I was college student living in Helsinki, Finland when this happened in 1994 just some 200 miles from Helsinki. A friend on mine was onboard one of the ships participating the rescue operation. They were able to get some survivors onboard.

I have been reading the Costa Concordia threads in CC since January 14, curious if somebody remembers this one but I gave up now and posted...

My apologies pantalon:o

I realised after these were two sparate incidences. And my original comment was directed at this. I am now going back to just reading and will return to my hermit shell.

This must of been so horrific and so tragic.

If one wants to consider peace time disasters look at the "Empress of Ireland" http://www.pbs.org/lostliners/empress.html One of the greatest disasters of all, and mostly forgotten. Regards.
The Empress of Ireland had the "misfortune" - for history's sake - of sinking too close to WWI. She was overshadowed by Lusitania and Britannic.

DH always remembers the "Herald of Free Enterprise" in 1987. He sailed on her from Zeebrugge to Dover in 1982 during his spring break at the City University in London.

...the article from the lawyer that the only other "cruise ship" to sink in 100 years was Titanic.
Then there was that little incident with the old Prinsendam where everybody was put off in boats to await rescue.

TLCOhio... Yes indeed, she was a lovely lovely ship. It's so sad.

That yellow and blue trim looks so good when the white paint is sharp and crisp as my Barcelona pictures from last June happened to show.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,728 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

Hey Terry, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Do you have to cut & paste your "footer" each time you post?

Cool pics by the way.

More than likely part of her SIGNATURE.

Edited by glrounds

Every day I check back on the webcam to see if there is any more progress. It seems like they are taking the fuel off this ship with a soda straw. There was a concern at first about how dangerous it was to search for bodies because of the ship shifting and it was being reported that it has indeed shifted some and could continue to do so. I saw they said the removal of fuel could take up to 10 months but it seems like they really need to get a move on. If the ship is in danger of shifting, anything such as a bad storm could cause a major issue like the whole ship could go under, according to that .pif post on what could go wrong. Why aren't they going faster? I realize it could be dangerous with the fuel and all but they need to move on this trying to get the ship to float again and repairing the holes from the collision and the explosion holes they made to search for bodies.

Every day I check back on the webcam to see if there is any more progress. It seems like they are taking the fuel off this ship with a soda straw. There was a concern at first about how dangerous it was to search for bodies because of the ship shifting and it was being reported that it has indeed shifted some and could continue to do so. I saw they said the removal of fuel could take up to 10 months but it seems like they really need to get a move on. If the ship is in danger of shifting, anything such as a bad storm could cause a major issue like the whole ship could go under, according to that .pif post on what could go wrong. Why aren't they going faster? I realize it could be dangerous with the fuel and all but they need to move on this trying to get the ship to float again and repairing the holes from the collision and the explosion holes they made to search for bodies.

Actually the fuel removal is proceeding nicely and is expected to take approximately 28 days total. But that time frame depends upon the weather.

The fuel has to be heated before it can be removed. Heating it to a specific temperature takes time and weather definitely makes a huge difference. Giglio was hit with a 2 day snow storm last week with waves so bad they literally disconnected the fuel removal system from the Cocordia and the Fuel removal vessel.

Two Tanks have been emptied completely as of this morning. (I BELIEVE, and remember I said I believe, that there are a total of 59 tanks that need emptying.)

The 10 months you read are total time to include not only fuel removal but also complete salvage of the ship, which includes towing it to a port or cutting it into pieces and transporting those pieces to a port.

When I say Port, I mean Salvage Port.

Also keep in mind that Costa is still accepting bids for the Salvage of the ship itself and biddig does not end until the 1st week of March.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

This is the info regarding pumping out of the fuel and is translated via Google Translate. I will try and clarify a couple of places, where the translation is a bit off, My clarifications are in Parenthesis ( )

QUOTE: ".....

Continue pumping the fuel

The pumping operations of fuel from the wreck of the Costa Concordia have begun and will continue until 24 to 24 hours (will continue 24/7 until) of complete emptying of the tanks, in the hope that the weather conditions permit. Initially, the fuel will be extracted at a rate of about five cubic meters per hour, but when the pumping operation will be at full capacity will proceed to about ten cubic meters per hour. The ship has 6 large tanks and 9 of smaller dimensions.The latter contain 377 cubic meters of fuel, about 17% of the total. There are, however, some tanks on the engine room containing 349 cubic meters of fuel, 16 percent of the total. How Gabrielli said the prefect, the emptying of the tanks of the ship is an introductory (a start) and priority to its removal.

I had stated in my last post that I thought there were 59 tanks, according to what I have underlined above there are much less, a total of 15 tanks.

Joanie

Caption to this photo I found at N.Y. Post just today!

A Greek air force helicopter flies over a half sunken 196-foot French-flagged yacht,

which suffered mechanical failure in gale-force winds off the coast of the Aegean island of Skyros, Greece.

SINKING.jpg

The coast guard said two Air Force helicopters and a Navy frigate,

as well as coast guard vessels and four commercial ships headed to assist the yacht, registered as Yogi,

after its captain sent out a distress signal Friday morning.

The captain said the yacht was taking on water and he had ordered the ship to be abandoned.

All eight people on board were rescued.

Repubblica reports on video filmed by crew member. http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/17/news/giglio-30038881/

Translation below by Microsoft Translator:

Investigative sources say that it is a member of the crew of the presenzas none of the officers had observed on the navigating bridge. Solved the mystery on the schedules of the images shot. No manipulation

105638768-536f5f0a-358f-4f23-80f6-760db9575196.jpg (ansa)

ROME -A photographer on board. According to investigative sources would have been one of the crew members, the author of the video shown exclusively from the "Tg5" a few days ago. The images document what happened on the command Bridge of the Costa Concordia shortly after the impact with the rocks. Yesterday i pm di Grosseto questioned several officers, who were made also questions relating to those who may have shot the video. In the coming days investigators convocheranno in the head of the photographers aboard Costa Concordia.

Edited by kingcruiser1

here is another one that I use, it shows the view from the mountains looking down to the ship itself. You may have to refresh every few minutes though and ignore the Forbidden message and hit refresh again until the web cam comes up: http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_porto.jpg

Joanie

Joanie, this appears (to me) to be just an image and not a webcam. I believe this is the webcam link for this view point:

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

Hmm... I have "signatures" turned off and it still shows.

Anyway, I was just wondering. :cool:

Then I think you were right. She must cut and paste that part to every post. Might be running a little macro on her system also.:)

Ask her. :confused:

Joanie, this appears (to me) to be just an image and not a webcam. I believe this is the webcam link for this view point:

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

Joanies, is a "frozen" webcam shot. Accurate for the instant you go to this website, but doesn't change like yours, RedInLove.