Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9047494/Costa-Concordia-victim-died-after-she-gave-life-jacket-to-elderly-man.html

Costa Concordia victim died after she gave life jacket to elderly man

Young Peruvian waitress Erika Fani Soriamolina, whose body was recovered from the shipwrecked Costa Concordia off the Tuscan island of Giglio, has been hailed a heroine.

This diagram shows the ship lodged on the rock ledge. There is concern that if it gets dislodged (apparently it is not in a very stable position where it is right now) the ship could sink into the deeper water to the right and become entirely immersed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36353&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1327280266

Are you sure? There's an underwater vid of the anchors and

they are pretty much directly underneath the Concordia. Not

at all in deep water (quite a bit of sunlight filtering through).

Just wondering... it's something I keep thinking about.

The statements by officers on the bridge indicate that one of them suggested letting go the anchor - probably to stop the ship from going into deeper water.

Letting go an anchor when a ship is moving is not usually done as the windlass brakes would be ruined & especially on a 114,00grt ship.

But it would have slowed the ship & eventually caused her to turn to starboard [see AIS].

As there was NO power to pull in some of the chain - the vessel just drifted. Blocks of flats on a barge have a lot of windage.

The wind then blew the ship sideways onto the rocks.

It is clearly visible on early photos before capsize - that the starboard anchor is out.

This is only what I think happened given that -

a - the anchor was supposed to have been let go.

b - the AIS track.

c - the bow turns to starboard.

d - the starboard anchor chain is visible in early photos.

An Italian Priest said he was going for 'a week of contemplation and prayer'. It was then discovered he was on a cruise on the Concordia.

He's going to have some explaining to do :eek:

Are you suggesting that one cannot pray and contemplate on a cruise?:D Those poor priests have to give up so much fun when they enter the priesthood, a cruise once in a while is well deserved. There is a priest on the HAL boards (name: himself) who is a real cruise addict. He says mass for the crew and passengers while on board.

Are you suggesting that one cannot pray and contemplate on a cruise?:D Those poor priests have to give up so much fun when they enter the priesthood, a cruise once in a while is well deserved. There is a priest on the HAL boards (name: himself) who is a real cruise addict. He says mass for the crew and passengers while on board.

I believe the post you responded too was "tongue in cheek".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9047494/Costa-Concordia-victim-died-after-she-gave-life-jacket-to-elderly-man.html

Costa Concordia victim died after she gave life jacket to elderly man

Young Peruvian waitress Erika Fani Soriamolina, whose body was recovered from the shipwrecked Costa Concordia off the Tuscan island of Giglio, has been hailed a heroine.

Every time I hear one of these stories about the crew putting their lives in jeopardy in order to help others, it makes me hate the cowardly captain more. I bet there were a lot of crew members who did there job and saved lives.

Every time I hear one of these stories about the crew putting their lives in jeopardy in order to help others, it makes me hate the cowardly captain more. I bet there were a lot of crew members who did there job and saved lives.

You have to take into consideration that the rest of the crew did not suffer the (mis)fortune of tripping and falling into one of the lifeboats.

I expect there are a number of crew members who are heroes and should be commended for doing their jobs very well. There are others who ran and did not in the mass confusion. One critical factor in the entire situation was the lack of effective and visible leadership. If the ships officers were in control, visible, and giving clear orders in the evacuation then the entire crew would have acted as a professional team leading to an orderly abandonment.

OP - Great idea to have a thread dedicated to news (as opposed to just conversation) about the Costa Concordia.

Having sailed with Costa five times, I've been drawn to news about this tragedy. I've been especially keen on getting info about the crew to see if any folks that we had sailed with on our prior trips were on this ship. Interestingly, Schettino was the captain of our 1/2010 sailing on the Costa Atlantica.

Here's a link to a news story from last week about some crew members arriving home in the Philippines.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/245275/pinoyabroad/48-more-crew-members-from-ill-fated-italian-liner-arrive-in-manila?ref=related_stories_top

Here's a link to a video showing some crew members arriving at the airport in the Philippines. While the audio is not entirely in English so some of the details are not understandable to me, the sense of joy and happiness comes across. I also love the banners that were hung to welcome these folks home. :D

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/video/107035/106-pinoy-crew-members-ng-costa-concordia-dumating?ref=related_video

OP -

Here's a link to a news story from last week about some crew members arriving home in the Philippines.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/245275/pinoyabroad/48-more-crew-members-from-ill-fated-italian-liner-arrive-in-manila?ref=related_stories_top

Here's a link to a video showing some crew members arriving at the airport in the Philippines. While the audio is not entirely in English so some of the details are not understandable to me, the sense of joy and happiness comes across. I also love the banners that were hung to welcome these folks home. :D

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/video/107035/106-pinoy-crew-members-ng-costa-concordia-dumating?ref=related_video

That's the first I have seen of anything from the crew, wish I knew what they were saying as to what happened. As I'm sure they would have all been interviewed before being sent home.

There are some interesting statements made in today's "Repubblica".

http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/01/31/news/costa_concordia_31_gennaio-29063571/

See article excerpts below (in red text) that were translated via "Microsoft translator".

Codacons alleges Toxicology Schettino. The Codacons, meanwhile, challenged toxicological examinations carried out on Commander Schettino. According to the experts of the Association in consumer protection, urine samples may be altered: the CAP was not sealed and lacked the traceability of the sample documents. Requested, therefore, new tests to determine also whether alcohol consumption by the Commander of Concordia.

Codacons has also asked the Presidency of the Council of Ministers to form a civil party in criminal proceedings

against Francesco Schettino "for the damage caused by the sinking image of Concordia". And presented a diffica to coast because the wreck of the ship being removed in 30 days. For its part, the CEO of Costa Foschi said that move the ship from the point where you'll find it a cyclopean undertaking. " "There is no knowledge to the world" on this kind of intervention to similar vessels, "and we are taking the necessary steps to proceed," he added.

AND:

: "Schettino could return to the master". Meanwhile one of Schettino's lawyers not considers impossible that their assisted return to make the Commander: "In theory it is possible that Schettino Commander lathes do," said the lawyer Salvatore Parascandola, host of "24" Morning on Radio 24. "Theoretically can-legal-said, but we practically the developments of the situation. I didn't say that it will never foot on a ship. I read in the newspapers ". Parascandola has anticipated the defensive line in view of the review that the 6 February will have to decide on arrest for Schettino: "we say that must be freed. There is no danger either of pollution or leak tests. The escape is possible for all Italians, but the Commander has family in his village heritage here and then has an honor to be defended and that wants to defend. "

Edited by patrioticgirl

When I checked the webcam at 6 a.m. (Italy time) there was a spotlight on the ship. They also spotlighted the top and the panels were still in place then. I kept it on until daylight (7ish) in Italy and again, they were still in place.

La repubblica had an update a short time ago.

"By morning the winds are causing the apparent movements of the swimming pool at the stern windows. The oscillations are clearly visible from the port. In recent days it was feared that those very large windows collapsing endangering workers. To start the intervention of defueling will have to await improved weather conditions. And the forecast does not bode well: there is a short decreasing in the evening, but tomorrow the weather will get worse again."

That is so dishearten to watch! She will start taking in more water no and sink.
Really?! looks solid as a rock to me. She may start to crack up/open as metal fatigue takes place

but sink? I don't think so. In 2wks. she's settled herself nicely. it would take a BIG swell action to get her moving anyhow substantially

Bad weather, shattered the windows of the ship

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffirenze.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2012%2F02%2F01%2Fnews%2Fconcordia_vento_e_mare_mosso_si_muove_la_vetrata_della_piscina-29130029%2F%3Fref%3DHREC2-7

"The instruments have detected acceleration of the movement of the bow of the ship Concordia, the order of up to 1.5 cm 7.5 cm per hour for a total of over seven hours. "These accelerations - specifies the Civil Defence - already registered on previous occasions, especially in conjunction phases of descent of the tide and also affected by weather conditions in place at the time and have returned values ​​totaled about 2 mm per hour ".

The Technical and Scientific Committee, adds Civil Defence, has established "to better understand the dynamics of these movements, to implement tracking the visual parts of the ship in contact with the seabed, as soon as sea conditions allow the installation of devices ".

Movement may also caused by strong winds and rough seas of the north-east today has shaken the island of Giglio. "

Original article in Italian:

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/01/news/concordia_vento_e_mare_mosso_si_muove_la_vetrata_della_piscina-29130029/?ref=HREC2-7