Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

And the live stream from youreporter.it is back on the Giglio News web site with a live view from Genoa.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/26/live-streaming-costa-concordia-refloating/

Posted the link over an hour ago and have been watching since then. When he moves his camera around I get a sense that he will have a very good view when she finally comes in.

Be even better is we lose the haze.

Update from TPP. Not sure how long ago it was posted.

Less than 20 nautical miles is the remaining distance that the Concordia has to cover to reach the port of Genoa Prà-Voltri, after little more than three days of navigation.

At the moment, the convoy travels at a speed of about 1 knot per hour. That speed will be further reduced in the coming hours so to allow the arrival in the port, as expected, during the night between Saturday and Sunday and the following entrance into the port during the morning of Sunday July 27th.

My understanding is that decks 2,1,0, and decks below are still flooded. Does anyone know what the plan is for getting the water out, or are they going to leave them flooded for the time being while the dismantling gets under way?

Edited by daljettjockie

Daljettjockie, I asked a question very similar to this when they did a live chat with Adam. He said that they were going to keep the ship like it is currently with the sponsons attach, and dismantle the ship deck by deck until they get down lower. They didn't say how low, but there were going to patch it somehow in order to make it floatable on it's own, then will remove the sponsons, pull it into dry dock, and finish the demolition.

Just found some dramatic pictures of Concordia off the coast of Genoa with storm clouds and lightning.

http://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/ultimo-viaggio-Costa-Concordia-0b59d309-3aec-4d20-ac50-117f8ed8664b.html

And, another live stream with closeups at http://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/live/ContentItem-b60e31f9-5650-4da6-aba5-d58fb9bc2f48.html

Daljettjockie, I asked a question very similar to this when they did a live chat with Adam. He said that they were going to keep the ship like it is currently with the sponsons attach, and dismantle the ship deck by deck until they get down lower. They didn't say how low, but there were going to patch it somehow in order to make it floatable on it's own, then will remove the sponsons, pull it into dry dock, and finish the demolition.

Thanks. That makes sense.

The live webcam in Giglio we were all watching for weeks and months

is back up and running in the Genoa area, providing live feed again

- this time of Concordia's arrival

Below is a translation of the text in Italian

as seen at their website

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/26/live-streaming-costa-concordia-refloating/

Our Editorial Office, thanks to the courtesy of the members of YouReporter.it , is following the operations of arrival and mooring of the Costa Concordia at the port of Pra-Voltri (Genoa) through a direct streaming visible below that sra interrupted only at the necessary moments to the displacements. Still under a direct twitter operations through the hashtag #concordia.

I want to watch, but I know I will not be able to stay awake. It is really interesting to see the ship out in the harbor like this. And so sad. If you didn't know any better, it could be any cruise ship coming in to port. Again, so impressed with the engineering that brought her back to Genoa safely.

Birds are chirping and the ship seems to be moving in, right? Do we think she will be docking pretty soon?

I understand that is going to be about a six to eight hour process. They are going to switch tugs, pull her forward of the entrance, then back her in and secure her to the breakwater. That is the quick, down and dirty description. There are more details posted above and at some of the links.

Edited by MorganMars

Apologies if this has been answered or obviously kmown...is this port a place where other cruise ships depart from or dock? Or is it just a shipyard?

I noticed a cruise ship in the background on the You Report live stream. It is the MSC Spendida pulling into port.