Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Concordia Ownership Transferred to Breaking Yard

27 JULY 2014

The deed establishing the transfer of ownership of the Costa Concordia from Costa Crociere to the Saipem/San Giorgio del Porto consortium was signed today at 3.40 pm.

The deed rules that the sale is carried out for the specific purpose of demolishing and recycling the wreck as agreed and in accordance with the prescriptions set forth by the Authorities and in particular by the Ministry of Environment.

Source: Cruise Industry News

dm, I just read about the transfer in La Republica.

I tried to copy one article that described how involved the mooring would be for Concordia but for some unknown reason I couldn't copy it in the English translation.

A few days ago I commented on a picture of Concordia saying that if one could ignore the sponsons she looked like a cruise ship out on the sea. Apparently that was the impression those on board wanted her to have.

"Our big ally has been the ship," said Franco Gabrielli, the Italian government official overseeing the operation. "The vessel has shown an impressive robustness."

Coast guard Capt. Gianluca D'Agostino told Sky TG24 TV the 180-nautical-mile voyage from Giglio to Genoa went so smoothly that one night, crews in a control room attached to the Concordia lit up the lights along the uncrushed side as if it were making one last Mediterranean cruise.

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/costa-concordia-wreck-reaches-final-destination?ocid=ansnews11

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

A little tidbit I just found. Don't think I had read this before:

Built in 2005 in the Sestri Ponente Finantieri yard in Genoa, the Concordia was the largest Italian cruise ship in history at the time of its launch -- but was considered unlucky by some from the start.

At a floating ceremony in 2006 attended by Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone -- Pope Benedict XVI's number two -- the bottle of champagne that was swung against the hull failed to smash, a bad omen in seagoing lore.

Edited by SomeBeach

THANKS, SomeBeach. And I think the failure of a champagne bottle to break has happened on other cruise ships, most recently on Cunard's Queen Victoria and P&O's Aurora.

Now comes the time to delete some links off of my Favorites List. It took some time to actually press the button to delete the Giglio News webcams. It's like I'm expecting something else to happen. But nothing compared to what we've witnessed in the past 2-1/2 years.

And I'm guessing this thread will slowly fall off of Page 1 on this forum. News and pictures on the dismantling of Costa Concordia will probably not be forthcoming anytime soon.

Not to make light of what we've been witness to, but it reminds me of the end of the movie The Truman Show when after the world has been watching his life, and the television transmission is abruptly cut, the two security guards say 'What else is on?...'Yeah, let's see what else is on'. This has been such a huge part of our lives, and now for all intents and purposes, the story has pretty much come to a close for most of us. But not for those who lost loved ones, who may still be trying to overcome the tragic events that occurred on the night of January 13, 2012. For them closure may never come. I do hope they find peace.

THANKS to everyone who contributed, kept us informed, and provided us with their in depth knowledge. It's been amazing being a spectator to these moments in history that we will never forget. And we should never forget. Too much was lost too soon.

At a floating ceremony in 2006 attended by Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone -- Pope Benedict XVI's number two -- the bottle of champagne that was swung against the hull failed to smash, a bad omen in seagoing lore.

The person in uniform I mentioned last night that was interviewed also talked about this, that the champagne bottle did not smash on the first attempt. They were aboard a boat loaded with journalists that spend a couple of hours circling the wreck as it came into port.

I've been away racing all weekend so spent a while catching up on the thread as I missed the arrival in Genoa, so thanks everyone for the links and information :)

Will there or is there any webcams in Genoa that can see the CC and does anyone know if there is or will be a website with updates on the dismantling process? I'm very curious to see the ship less sponsons and patched up when they float her into drydock, which I know is some time away.

Not to make light of what we've been witness to, but it reminds me of the end of the movie The Truman Show when after the world has been watching his life, and the television transmission is abruptly cut, the two security guards say 'What else is on?...'Yeah, let's see what else is on'. This has been such a huge part of our lives, and now for all intents and purposes, the story has pretty much come to a close for most of us. But not for those who lost loved ones, who may still be trying to overcome the tragic events that occurred on the night of January 13, 2012. For them closure may never come. I do hope they find peace.

Hi all.

Long time lurker here.

Dm, I agree. The Truman show is one of my favourite film, because of that 1 line. Big things happen all the time, but when it's over, we all move on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting photos coming out of Genoa over the next couple of years to keep our interest!

Had a very busy weekend so missed most of what went on but managed to catch some of the docking proceedure, a big thanks to everyone who posted the time lapse videos and screen captures to keep us all up to date.

It is certainly a strange place to begin taking the ship apart although i guess they did not want it in the main Genoa port where the Drydocks and ship building and repair yards are until they have taken off the upper decks. They will probably rebuild the Tower crane in order to lift off some parts of the ship unless of course they bring in some floating heavy lift cranes.

Hopefully over the coming months and beyond we will get to see the work continue on what has been a Behemoth of a challenge of moving the ship in one piece.

The salvage teams may never see this again and all being well will never have to, fingers crossed that in the coming months the last missing person is found and can be reunited with his family.

Hi Ken ... Not seen anything story wise about any work being carried out there before the arrival of CC, as it looks like a container port it may be that the area was already at a depth to take the ship.

Hi Ken ... Not seen anything story wise about any work being carried out there before the arrival of CC, as it looks like a container port it may be that the area was already at a depth to take the ship.

Thanks. What a successful salvage engineering feat.

Even though we might not see this thread in the front page, I have subscribed so will watch to see if anything new is posted.

I want to thank everyone for the interest and news for the past 2 1/2 years we have been watching. I certainly agree with DM as to the thoughts and views of us all during this time.

I appreciate the pictures from the last 2 days.

We will all still be watching with interest for any news of the dismantling of this ship over the next 2 years.

Thanks to everyone.

Even though we might not see this thread in the front page, I have subscribed so will watch to see if anything new is posted.

I want to thank everyone for the interest and news for the past 2 1/2 years we have been watching. I certainly agree with DM as to the thoughts and views of us all during this time.

I appreciate the pictures from the last 2 days.

We will all still be watching with interest for any news of the dismantling of this ship over the next 2 years.

Thanks to everyone.

Don't forget the Sister Thread where we are keeping watch over the criminal trial of Public Enemy At Sea #1, Capt. Schitino.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560858

That is a real nice card Aplmac.

Out of curiosity....who was the Captain?

I have no idea! - it wasn't my cruise.

Got this card in exchange I think...from someone else.

Dates on the card are early-mid January 2007.

Edited by Aplmac

Here you go, Uniall. More unmitigated gall:

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/general_news/2014/07/28/schettino-says-vindicated-by-transfer_90843b3f-ca1b-4bae-9daf-1abb27edba66.html

Schettino says vindicated by smooth Concordia transfer
(ANSA) - Florence, July 28 - The successful transfer of the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship to Genoa for dismantling proves he made the right decisions the night of the disaster, the vessel's disgraced captain Francesco Schettino said Monday.

Schettino spoke one day after the complicated process of moving the massive ship up the Italian coast was successfully completed.

Schettino is on trial on criminal charges, including manslaughter and dereliction of duty for abandoning the ship he commanded during the disaster that killed 32 people. "This successful and commendable, complex operation, which allowed the recovery of the Concordia without creating environmental damage, has strengthened my conviction of having made the right decision (when the ship crashed)," said Schettino.

He added that he "never had any doubts about the success of the operation," made necessary after the Costa Concordia crashed in January 2012 off the Tuscan island of Giglio.

Don't forget the Sister Thread where we are keeping watch over the criminal trial of Public Enemy At Sea #1, Capt. Schitino.

John, I'm surprised you didn't weigh in on the sister thread on the latest from Capt Coward.

Edit: And MM just added to the first unmitigated gall with another.

Edited by SomeBeach

I have no idea! - it wasn't my cruise.

Got this card in exchange I think...from someone else.

Dates on the card are early-mid January 2007.

It may be possible to find out from the date.