Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Hi Everyone I am back.

Thank you all for the great work you all did over the last two weeks. I kept in touch as and when I could and I will spend part of today catching up.

As for my cruise on Costa Deliziosa I am afraid I cannot comment at the moment for legal reasons. If or when I am able to comment I will do it as a separate thread. Needless to say sadly it will not be a recommendation for Costa.

Clive, I checked in on your cruise location a few times and was hoping all was going well. Sorry that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think the group did a good job of covering everything during your absence.

Has anyone managed to locate a webcam that overlooks the Concordia at all ?

Sid, I think it was MM that found this link. It's not a very clear view but may be the only one we have. I had looked at it at 7ish this morning (Italy time) and it was a little better. See there is a crane (I think) next to her now.

http://www.liguriawebcam.com/

Looked at the Giglio news parbuckling webcam and there seems a lot of activity going on. I wonder if they are starting to remove all the grout bags.

Ha! :D You beat me to it. They are removing the towers.

Ha! :D You beat me to it. They are removing the towers.

Ha! :D I beat both of you. ;) I mentioned on July 30th that work had started. :p

Sid, I looked the other day on our Discovery site to see if they had any mention of a Concordia special follow up. Nothing showed up.

Ha! :D I beat both of you. ;) I mentioned on July 30th that work had started. :p

I have been looking once or twice a day and did not notice any change until today when I saw the crane had a cable tied to the rightmost tower (from the parbuckling view) and minutes later the tower was gone. I missed the actual lift.

And by the way, I just glanced again and see the crane back to the same position with its cable seemingly in the water. Perhaps they will lift the underwater section also.

Edited by luisrp

SB ... I had looked at the cam you re posted the link of but was hoping that there may have been another set up closer to the ship but we will just have to hope.

No mention here either yet of nay programmes about the lift and tow.

Perhaps I am wrong but none of the techniques are new. It is the scale of the operation and the technology used what sets this project apart. Many ships have been parbuckled but never before this big. I don't think that the use of flotation tanks is new either, but again the massive scale is probably unprecedented. There is likely enough steel in those tanks alone to build a small cruise ship.

The false sea floor is perhaps the most interesting aspect of the entire operation and the one aspect that may change the way ship salvage is done in the future.

The flotation itself was an amazing feat of engineering by controlling buoyancy dynamically and being able slowly lift and also control trim and listing of the whole thing. I am just curious on what it took to achieve this from the engineering and process control standpoint. What were the logics (from the programming point of view), the hardware, communications, data acquisition, valve control, failsafe systems, hydraulics, process automation, etc etc. Are they still controlling all these while the ship awaits relocation or dry docking? Or did they seal off the tanks and pull the plug on the whole thing?

Hi Everyone I am back.

Thank you all for the great work you all did over the last two weeks. I kept in touch as and when I could and I will spend part of today catching up.

As for my cruise on Costa Deliziosa I am afraid I cannot comment at the moment for legal reasons. If or when I am able to comment I will do it as a separate thread. Needless to say sadly it will not be a recommendation for Costa.

Welcome home!! Good to have you back!!

Sorry to hear things did not go well.

http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/multimedia/genova/2014/07/28/ARbjfBRB-concordia_pescatori_mugugno.shtml?code=3701850900001&pag=1

Concordia, the grumbling of fishermen

Fishermen Pegli Pra comment on the bans on fishing and navigation issued by the Harbour after docking of the Costa Concordia on breakwater

Anybody speak Italian?

http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/genova/2014/07/30/ARMRoUSB-concordia_disperso_ricerche.shtml

Genoa - The research activities of Russel Rebello aboard the Concordia will start Tuesday or Wednesday 5 August 6. This is what was announced in a press release of the Harbor of Genoa in which he explains that the research will focus initially, as well as on deck 4 (fully emerged) on deck 3, that the findings of the research already accomplished the island of Lily, should be "more probable location of the victim at the time of capsizing."

The research says the statement, which will be implemented are to start after a second secure access on board in the forward area of the wreck, beyond that already achieved in this area aft and also to meet the need to provide separate access to the research teams compared that used by the workers on the site after it has been finalized and the preparation on the dock of the breakwater facilities for the logistics of the Joint research team, composed of divers of the Fire Nuclei of Genoa, the Group Divers Command Commandos of Navy in La Spezia, Genoa Coast Guard, the Guardia di Finanza and Carabinieri of Genoa, who will be joined on the platform is provided by the medical-health 118 Genoese, as well as emergency crews of surface and underwater in case of evacuation Instant operators bruised or in case of fall in water.

In everything should work on the wreck about 50 workers per day , divided into six teams that could probably operate simultaneously on the three "bridges-target ', ie the 3 bridge, the bridge 2 and bridge 1: Two teams for each bridge.

Today there was the visit by police divers and firefighters on the wreck. "Our goal is to intervene where the inspection has not been done - the admiral said Melone at the end of the meeting -. Without the inspection we will meet again to make a specific plan of action. "

http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/genova/2014/07/29/ARfCrzRB-concordia_ricerche_sopralluogo.shtml

This article translated a bit better:

Genoa - Summit on the Harbour this afternoon to discuss how to organize the search for the body Russel Rebello , the last of Concordia missing. The meeting was attended by all the forces who will be taking part in the operation: police, financial police, navy, harbor authorities, shipyards St. George and the fire brigade.

Meanwhile, tomorrow there will be an inspection by divers of the Navy, the police, the financial police and firefighters to agree better job, which will begin on Monday materially . The research, coordinated by the provincial commander of the fire brigade Raffaele Ruggiero, will take place in two phases. The first will last 15 days and will focus on decks 3 and 4, first soaked and now resurfaced.

Rescuers are convinced of being able to find Robello at this early stage, because from the testimony and from the plane of the collection points of the ship in case of emergencies, there is the conviction that the former waiter is on deck 3 , not far from point where it was found the last missing.

If, however, the research did not immediately successful, continue with divers on deck 2 - still submerged - but in that case, the operations should be coordinated with those of the dismantling of the ship.

"Our goal is to intervene where the inspection has not been done - the admiral said Melone at the end of the meeting -. Without the inspection we will meet again to make a specific plan of action. "

As learned, the teams that will participate in the research will be those inside the wreckage of the fire, with their core SAF (Speleological Alpine river), capable of operating in critical scenarios, the nuclei of Coast Guard divers, the police and the Guardia di Finanza, who have already operated at Giglio to search for bodies inside the vessel tilted into the sea and the Operations Group divers Comsubin the Navy.

http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/speciali/2014/07/28/ARyqLTQB-tramontana_ormeggiatori_rimorchiatori.shtml

Genoa - "The boss wants them all to eight," says the ormeggiatore to your colleague. "And we fix them all at eight," replied Marco Serra, 41, 17 craft behind. Was it difficult? "You want the truth? No, it's our job. " It must have been exciting. "Well, it's not every day that you participate in an unique in the world." Here's Concordia safety in the port of Pra '- Voltri . Close to the breakwater by a mooring system deliberately extraordinary: 13 cleats (on the pier does not look for the number 13, good luck has it that it jumps from 12 to 14), which are 16 cables were pulled blue sky.

Why do not you tell that the Genoese save on polypropylene. The cables can be abbittati to "8" or plan, that is pulled round. Both systems work, depends on many variables to choose what to do. The leader who wanted to abbittati "8" Alessandro Serra, the man who worked at the dock yesterday with his 16 colleagues. "Captain often different shades of thought between those who have the cards in the project and those who prefer to rely solely on seamanship skills. - He says - Between us there is always a moment of confrontation and debate. Then he proceeds. objective is to deliver the work in a workmanlike manner . "

Sixteen mooring on the breakwater, 4 pilots on board Concordia, 8 tugs carrying three people each. 's three categories which paid tribute to the professionalism of the port of Genoa. The entry of Concordia in Vte and mooring in front of the dam Pegli have not submitted unexpected details. But a job well done is in the details.

Detail the tugboat Blizzard you decide to keep attached to the wreck with a cable up to the dock. It was not planned. The idea was the commander of the pilots, John Lettich, after around 8 in the morning the wind had started to pull over 20 knots. A north wind subsided, Concordia has started to maneuver, but prudence is never too much and experience makes the difference.

So much so that the South African super expert Nick Sloane was immediately agreed with Lettich, who was on board together with his assistant Francesco Bozzo and pilots Antonio Anfossi and Michael Good morning . "It was an operation carried out in the best way. - Says Lettich - Really no critical moment, apart from the wind in the early morning. The turn to the left before the entrance is well managed. Yet the approach to the dam did not create particular problems: the ship never took momentum. "

"Everything went as planned. - Confirms the Bignone commander who was aboard the Concordia - There was a bit 'worried the wind of early morning, but Concordia has always been safe »

OK

A question for us all.

Has the salvage of Costa Concordia changed what gets salvaged in the future. and one for the clever ones what salvage techniques have been created to secure the salvage.

Think I've been on a cruise ship too long.

If this had happened in some other location: in India or some off tourist African country for instance things would have been very different. Would Carnival have spent the same money there. I don't think so. She would have joined the many other abandoned vessels slowly rotting away all over the world.

We pray this never happens again, but it's unlikely we will see anything similar again.

David.

Picture #7 from above link.

24go9zt.jpg

This looks eerily similar to a funeral procession with people carrying a casket. In a way it was almost like delivering the casket to its final resting place. The fact that all tugs are the same color, like in a uniform, just adds to this.

Edited by luisrp

Picture #7 from above link.

24go9zt.jpg

This looks eerily similar to a funeral procession with people carrying a casket. In a way it was almost like delivering the casket to its final resting place. The fact that all tugs are the same color, like in a uniform, just adds to this.

Sobering thought ... but very apt ... and very sad.

The last visible vestige of the salvage operation in Giglio is being taken down today. They have been swiftly removing the holdback towers in the last few days, even through the weekend. The last one is about to be removed today. Only remain the grout bags and platforms underwater but those are not visible, of course.

Nick's greeting: "Thanks to the people of Lily"

Within 10 days from the start of the Costa Concordia by the waters of the Ganga, the island is seeing a gradual return to normalcy with the progressive removal of dismantling and the departure of many workers, now friends, who for about 2 and a half years have shared our daily lives.

In the afternoon we received with pleasure a letter addressed to the people of the island that the project manager Nick Sloane decided to spread through the pages of our newspaper. Honored by this, turn to Nick, and through him to every person of his extraordinary team Titan-Micoperi & c., greatest thanks and a happy return home confident that something of our island will forever remain in the minds and hearts of each one of them.

"People of the lily:

I would like to extend my thanks and my team for your support over the past 27/28 months where we stayed at Lily.

The Costa Concordia was one of the major challenges that each of us could imagine back in may 2012. We knew it would be difficult but this turned out to be an understatement.

Your support and your hospitality to teams titanium Micoperi during all these months have been exceptional and when things don't go well during the winter of 2012/2013 have always been on our side!

Thanks for this and for believing in us!

The Costa Concordia has now moved away from your shores and the teams will now have to concentrate on cleaning phase with another contracting company soon to be nominated in this final phase in order to restore the coastline and waters to original condition for which they are famous.

I leave the project tomorrow and return home from my family in South Africa. It was an honor and a privilege to be part of the team, and having known you all in these two and a half years.

I know I'll be back soon .... but next time as a tourist!

Thanks and best regards

Nick Sloane "

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/08/03/il-saluto-di-nick-thanks-to-the-people-of-giglio/

Edited by SomeBeach

The last visible vestige of the salvage operation in Giglio is being taken down today. They have been swiftly removing the holdback towers in the last few days, even through the weekend. The last one is about to be removed today. Only remain the grout bags and platforms underwater but those are not visible, of course.

Just had a look at today's http://www.kielmonitor.de/kino.php?cam=concordia . The last anchor-block tower / holdback tower has now been lifted from the water. Apart from the working vessels and the 4 legged platform, everything above the water surface should be pretty much back to how it was, which I'm sure the Islanders will be very pleased about!

Most of the Titan/Micoperi containers have also now been removed from the keyside where the ferry normally docks in the harbour.

Edited by CTH

It seems odd looking at the Giglio webcam and seeing no ship there though i guess those on the island are truly thankful that Nick Sloane and the people involved in the salvage worked a miracle in order to move the Concordia from their island.