Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

[B]The last crew of the Costa Concordia, 10 seamen on a wreck[/B]

[QUOTE]The Costa Concordia will meet its demolition with a crew on board. A real crew, consisting of ten seamen, including a captain steering the vessel. Sure, seafarers aboard the wreck and in service since the day of docking to the dam of Vte not retrace the tragic exploits of "Novecento", the protagonist of an extraordinary book by Alessandro Baricco also made ​​famous by the film version ("The Legend of the Pianist on 'ocean'). Then, the musician who had spent every day of his life on the "Virginian" chose not to even get off the ship at the time of demolition. But that was fiction. The reality, however, speaks of a real crew of ten seamen, all of Genoa, selected by ESA Group, a company specializing in this type of activity and guided by Gianenzo Captains, volcanic President shipbrokers Genoa. Esa To contact the Group has been San Giorgio del Porto shipyard, in this case in the unusual guise of owner of the Concordia. The site, in fact, according to the agreements has become the owner of the vessel at the time of docking (the shipping activities was provided for in the statute and did not need to change it) and therefore must have a crew. Hence the choice of a team formed in all respects by sea: a captain, Francesco Schettino inevitably happens in the government of the vessel; a chief engineer, an officer and seven seamen. In contrast to the multi-racial crews that have become synonymous with the Italian ships, this is totally formed by the Genoese and encourage this choice is the fact that, doing the rounds, they can go back to sleep in their home. ago But the crew of a ship that does not sail , is a wreck and is still on the dock waiting to go to meet his destiny? "It's a long, long - answers Duci who selected the team - Ensures compliance with the security protocol and in the case of the recent weather alert immediately called the mooring rinforzassero precisely because the mooring of the ship. Monitors vessel stability, activity which will be even more sensitive when they start the demolition work and is obviously of support to all those who come aboard. A work purely by seafarers.'s men's team do guard duty so as to never leave the ship unguarded, at 8 , at 16 and 24. " A crew "normal", in fact, called to a special task indeed. The typical institution of seafarers, in fact, the so-called "controlled" covers activities of construction and navigation, but until now had never contemplated in Italy that of demolition, so even from the legal point of view it is addressing this aspect that will be important for future activities, in the case Genova really able to get back into business. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='cruiseaddict5279']What I find really interesting is that they are using the mast crane again. I didn't think we would see that up again.[/quote]

I kinda suspected we would because the entire crane remained onboard when it was taken down prior to sailing away from Giglio. Aerial views showed the long blue horizontal boom on the upper deck in the starboard side. Then in later views in Genoa I noticed that the cab and the short counterweight section of the crane were also onboard. Still I thought it was just taking a ride to be taken away in Genoa by its owner. But it wasn't. It was put back on. I mentioned a few pages back that I noticed the boom was still there. Then in the pictures shared here recently where the mobile crane is seen, the other parts of the tower crane are visible too. Edited by luisrp

[quote name='luisrp']Just peeked at the Liguria webcam site and noticed on the hazy image that the big tower crane is back up.[/quote]
Looks like we have now lost the Liguria webcam, think it's been turned round to face in the opposite direction?

[URL]http://www.liguriawebcam.com/[/URL]

[INDENT][quote name='CTH']Looks like we have now lost the Liguria webcam, think it's been turned round to face in the opposite direction?
[/INDENT]
[URL]http://www.liguriawebcam.com/[/URL][/quote]

Appears to be back this morning. still wish it was a bit closer or more hi-res. Maybe all the new attention the ship is getting will result in one of the tour companies putting up a better camera. One can hope.

Thanks for spotting that CS.

I wonder what we all think about CC becoming a tourist attraction

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2744697/Cashing-Costa-Concordia-Genoa-locals-turn-cruise-liner-lucrative-business-boat-tours-stricken-ship-offers-hotel-rooms-view.html[/url]

Personally I have mixed views as I know if I had the opportunity I am sure I would want to have a look to put perspective on what we have been following for 2.5 years. On the other hand whilst the body of Russell is still missing it must be viewed as a grave. As I say mixed feelings.
I know Giglio was proud of its record of not cashing in on the disaster by banning Concordia linked T shirts but at the same time I seem to remember that the Ferry companies put a 10 euro surcharge on.
I don't suppose there is a right or wrong view on this and everyone is entitled to their opinion so lets keep the discussion non combative please

They are testing the removal of the cement bags as reported in Gigilo News. Also the start of the weekly report on the clean-up.

[QUOTE]Waiting to know the outcome of that race around the middle of September assign to one of the four consortia were the contract for the cleaning and restoration of the seabed under the Gabbianara, we publish below the report that Costa Cruises has sent Observatory Monitoring report for the institutions concerned about the tests conducted for the removal of cement bags.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.giglionews.it/wp-content/uploads/resoconto_osservatorio280814.pdf[/url]

Ciclope has been there since the CC was taken out. Looking at the kielmonitor site time lapses from about 7 AM thorugh 3 PM it appears to spend most of the time picking up something from the water and putting them on board another ship that comes alonside for the day. Then at the end of the day that ship departs but sometimes stays alongside overnight. Since it is Giglio the panoramic camera I cannot tell what is being picked up and I have been guessing it was the cement bags. Probably they were still picking up debris and stuff that spilled from the CC.

[quote name='luisrp']Ciclope has been there since the CC was taken out. Looking at the kielmonitor site time lapses from about 7 AM thorugh 3 PM it appears to spend most of the time picking up something from the water and putting them on board another ship that comes alonside for the day. Then at the end of the day that ship departs but sometimes stays alongside overnight. Since it is Giglio the panoramic camera I cannot tell what is being picked up and I have been guessing it was the cement bags. Probably they were still picking up debris and stuff that spilled from the CC.[/QUOTE]

Read through the weekly report I posted above and below. It includes some photos of the cement bags being lifted out.

[url]http://www.giglionews.it/wp-content/...orio280814.pdf[/url]

[quote name='balf']Interesting that they need a captain aboard Concordia while she is broken up.

I know one guy who would fit the bill. He's had some experience of breaking and he isn't doing much right now.

David.[/quote]

Great idea. They could attached leg irons with a 100' chain to give him him so molbiity but preventing his leaving the ship before his duties are completed. :D

[quote name='luisrp']From that report I noticed that the "legged barge" Micoperi 61 is "off-hire" which I think means is no longer doing any support job. We shuold see it taken away any day I guess.[/QUOTE]

I think the legs have now been raised so it looks like Micoperi 61 is away. It looks like it arrived over two years ago.

[quote name='clive and anne']I think the legs have now been raised so it looks like Micoperi 61 is away. It looks like it arrived over two years ago.[/quote]

Still above water as can be seen from the Parbuckling camera in Giglio News.

Law360, New York (September 15, 2014, 5:55 PM ET) -- A California federal judge on Monday dismissed a negligence suit brought against Carnival Corp. by two U.S. citizens who were passengers on the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, ruling the case should be heard in Italy and bringing to a close all U.S. litigation by passengers in relation to the 2012 shipwreck.
U.S. District Judge Fernando M. Olguin tossed claims brought by Patricia Sandoval and Nicholas Taliaferro alleging the ship captain’s “human error” caused the accident because the vessel hit a rock and capsized .

[url]http://www.law360.com/articles/577402/calif-judge-says-costa-concordia-wreck-suit-belongs-in-italy[/url]

Getting pictures with other women, and his wife said he would never of had an affair. Still with a man who sits around with other women and parties with them. Is this court using a jury trial? It is so weird, as watching Oscar Pistorious and they don't use jurors. Hopefully the judge is watching his moves as the trial goes forward. Edited by USNUZULOOSE

[quote name='USNUZULOOSE']Getting pictures with other women, and his wife said he would never of had an affair. Still with a man who sits around with other women and parties with them. Is this court using a jury trial? It is so weird, as watching Oscar Pistorious and they don't use jurors. Hopefully the judge is watching his moves as the trial goes forward.[/quote]

[B][SIZE=3]Life In Italy Revolves Around One Central Core Value [/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3]As Expressed In This 1960s American TV Commercial[/SIZE][/B]

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHRON5j1Dc"][SIZE=3]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHRON5j1Dc[/SIZE][/URL]

Why would the Italian CG punish this guy, who has burnished their image in ways that no amount of PR spending could. While he did not request the transfer, until we know the career path rotations normal to the Italian CG, I wouldn't make anything too sinister about it. Most military organizations require an administrative or headquarters assignment prior to moving up the ladder, so he may in fact be looking at a premature promotion.