Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Three years have passed now.

Found a few links to share.

This one from a couple that survived:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25956976/costa-concordia-girl-still-haunts/

This one doesn't have much of an article but does have a close up pix of Concordia.

http://www.dw.de/costa-concordia-to-be-dismantled-in-genoa/av-18187771

This one just has some info about how people feel about cruising 3 yrs later.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2907993/One-travellers-believe-ships-built-impress-following-Costa-Concordia.html

Actually a cruise ship is a very complicated machine and while the passageway tiles or other areas where the passengers are would not likely have asbestos' date=' lots of machinery, electrical and others parts do have asbestos, even today

Just the nature of the beast!

AKK[/quote']

Still, very very low chance. Asbestos has not been used as insulation or as building material for decades. In industrial environments, you are not going to find it in facilities built in the last 20 years. On a cruise ship built 10 years ago in Italy which banned asbestos in 1992 is even less likely.

Still, very very low chance. Asbestos has not been used as insulation or as building material for decades. In industrial environments, you are not going to find it in facilities built in the last 20 years. On a cruise ship built 10 years ago in Italy which banned asbestos in 1992 is even less likely.

Well, to each their opinion and mine is based on experience.

AKK

They turn off the camera while they remove the asbestos so the Greenies don't go nuts.....

Hey Guys

I was just kidding.

It was a joke.

I love to poke the "Greenies" in the eye.

It keeps them on their toes..... LOL

John

hearings are scheduled for 39 civil attorneys defending passengers of the Concordia who have filed civil suits for damages against Costa Cruises and Schettino.

I wonder how many more days and weeks or even months that will take!

Regardless of whether there is asbestos on the ship, for the most part, any ship scrapping is a hazmat environment, even without the ship having been on the bottom for over a year. A lot of materials used in ship construction are toxic, and the removal of which is why most countries do not do ship scrapping, as the remediation measures raise the cost too much.

Add in the rotted food, the deceased, the waste in the sewage tanks, and the residual oil in tanks that has reacted with sea water, you have a toxic stew that has coated all surfaces of the ship. This makes everything a toxic substance, unless you wash it all before removing, and then the water becomes toxic.

And hazmat remediation contractors don't like to advertise their operations, because there will always be incidents of people violating laws and regulations regarding disposal and personal protection, and by limiting publicity, they limit legal liability.

regardless of whether there is asbestos on the ship, for the most part, any ship scrapping is a hazmat environment, even without the ship having been on the bottom for over a year. A lot of materials used in ship construction are toxic, and the removal of which is why most countries do not do ship scrapping, as the remediation measures raise the cost too much.

Add in the rotted food, the deceased, the waste in the sewage tanks, and the residual oil in tanks that has reacted with sea water, you have a toxic stew that has coated all surfaces of the ship. This makes everything a toxic substance, unless you wash it all before removing, and then the water becomes toxic.

And hazmat remediation contractors don't like to advertise their operations, because there will always be incidents of people violating laws and regulations regarding disposal and personal protection, and by limiting publicity, they limit legal liability.

bingo!

• 2 weeks later...
MM, here's a bit of an update from yesterday's proceeding.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/costa-concordia-trial-judges-take-stage-decide-captains-fate-n303551

The video showing the Captain casually standing around will hopefully show the judges just how little he did to help others.

SB, I couldn't get any sound on that, was there narrative? I did see one person circled, I'm assuming that was Schettino. My question still remains, what was he doing down on the promenade deck, when he should have still been on the bridge co-ordinating the emergency and the abandonment?

SB, I couldn't get any sound on that, was there narrative? I did see one person circled, I'm assuming that was Schettino. My question still remains, what was he doing down on the promenade deck, when he should have still been on the bridge co-ordinating the emergency and the abandonment?

Chengkp, not sure who recorded the video but it had no sound.

Yes, the circle indicated the Captain. I'm not sure who recorded it but it did clearly show the Captain doing nothing.

If I recall correctly from early on, after the alarm was sounded the Captain didn't spend much more time on the bridge. I believe it was stated back then that he and the woman went back to his suite to retrieve some items which she carried off the ship.

Cheng

Come on, you know the answer to your question.

He was personally testing the abandon ship plan to make sure it worked before the passengers tried it. LOL

John

Cheng

Come on, you know the answer to your question.

He was personally testing the abandon ship plan to make sure it worked before the passengers tried it. LOL

John

Uni;

As our legal representative, I've read that the civil plaintiffs read closing arguments in this case, how does the Italian legal system handle civil vs. criminal cases. Does a verdict in this case preclude any civil action against Costa?

Uni;

As our legal representative, I've read that the civil plaintiffs read closing arguments in this case, how does the Italian legal system handle civil vs. criminal cases. Does a verdict in this case preclude any civil action against Costa?

No the Civil Case is separate from the criminal.

Also, as I've posted before, there can be total "do overs" ordered by the appeals court from either a Not Guilty or Guilty verdict. This is not uncommon.

No the Civil Case is separate from the criminal.

Also, as I've posted before, there can be total "do overs" ordered by the appeals court from either a Not Guilty or Guilty verdict. This is not uncommon.

That's kind of what I thought, but everyone is saying, "can justice be done if Schettino is the only one convicted?". I don't think anyone at Costa is liable for criminal charges (even some of those already plea bargained), but they definitely are going to have to pony up some Benjamin's.