Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Not bad being put up in a hotel for that length of time.

The time that takes and if he gets out early for good behaviour, he might end up serving less than half

Italy is infamous for house arrest.

But, we still have to wait for two more courts to review the verdict and sentence.

Unlike Anglo/American Common Law, Italian Appellate courts don't review the verdict and sentence "de jur" (of law) changing the decision only if it runs counter to law.

Italian Appellate Courts review the verdict and sentence "de novo" (from the begining) making changes if it's what they would have done. They can even have more hearings and call more witnesses.

Clive put me on to this video, taken about a month ago in Genoa.

At about the 30 second point it shows the Bridge area. It looks worse than either he or I recalled.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=costa+concordia+genoa-+business+brief&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=32CB75CCC0C297B72A6132CB75CCC0C297B72A61

Well, they've got a "yellow brick road" ladderway down the middle to reach the bow, and the boom crane on the bow, so they may have done a bit of demo work already.

It seems we are back to getting our daily doss of new pictures from "our" boat. See http://shiprecycling.it/.

The operation is not as secretive as we feared.

Thanks for the link.

Well, that's a pretty glossy PR release. It will probably continue to monitor the progress like the parbuckling project did, but I doubt you'll see any photos from the nitty-gritty end of the business. It's nice to see the plan, but just like what went on underwater at the wreck site, it's going to be a bit like the Wizard of Oz: "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

Doesn't appear that much will be visible until they shift to the other dock. It would appear that they are kind of stripping the cabins out completely as they go, but it will all come out the center "pool" hole in dumpsters. She will probably be just structural steel all the way down to the water. Probably all the remaining glass and railings will be the only visible signs of "deconstruction".

The one month is on the charge of being an "able idiot" :D

I don't really know how reliable this source is but they have provided an explanation for the 1 month part of the sentence. Seems that is for lying to maritime authorities.

http://mashable.com/2015/02/23/costa-concordia-captain-reality-tv-show/

On a side note, Russel finally made it back to his country and has been laid to rest. According to his brother, India did not know how to handle the situation which resulted in a delay from the time Russel was released by Italian authorities.

Then, according to a FB page by Kevin, they ran into weather issues in Turkey, which delayed the flight.

Edited by SomeBeach

This link has more info than my last link as to why the prosecutor called for Schettino's arrest.

Of course Schettino says his aide was not authorized to speak to the reality show people.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/costa-concordia-captain-land-reality-tv-gig-article-1.2126216

What I'd like to know is why this guy even HAS an "aide", and obviously enough "aides" that one has gone rogue?

Does anyone remember the timeline on the scrapping. Specifically how long before the lighten the ship enough to move it into drydock?

I think they were hoping to move the ship from the seawall to a wet dock sometime in March. It will probably take the better part of a year to remove the upper decks, make the hull watertight, and remove the caissons before they move it to the dry dock.

I think they were hoping to move the ship from the seawall to a wet dock sometime in March. It will probably take the better part of a year to remove the upper decks, make the hull watertight, and remove the caissons before they move it to the dry dock.

Thanks Cheng!

March 4, 2015

Stripping operations on board the Concordia are restlessly progressing. The removal of furnishings and internal fittings has been completed on deck 6, and technicians are working on the other emerged decks.

The number of workers deployed in the operations has reached 280 people, 250 of which are operating on board.

Environmental monitoring is carried out in parallel, with no critical issues registered.

http://shiprecycling.it/update-on-concordia-stripping-operations/

Correct Cheng.

From a prior link here:

The objective of the current phase of the reclamation project is to strip the wreck and reduce its draft so that in March the ship can be transferred from the “Porto di Prà Voltri” Breakwater to the ship repair area at the “Molo Ex Superbacino” dock.

Be nice to have advanced notice and a webcam available. I think most folks have lost interest in following this story except for a few of us.

SB .. People are still interested, just that there has been little or nothing to report about where things are upto with the ship. I have been surprised that a follow up TV documentary has not been made.

SB .. People are still interested, just that there has been little or nothing to report about where things are upto with the ship. I have been surprised that a follow up TV documentary has not been made.

Well, a bunch of guys in hazmat suits pulling the interiors out of cabins and public spaces and tossing it into dumpsters isn't half as sexy as snaking cables under a sunken ship or slapping metal boxes weighing hundreds of tons on the inclined side of a ship. :D

Maybe they could have a time lapse showing the waterline, and how it goes down every week or so. :o